F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete! Explanation of sport functionality, please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Complete! Explanation of sport functionality, please

I have the basic idea, but I'd appreciate a source that give ALL of the changes associated with the various sport adjustments: Dynamic vs. Normal, Sport vs. Drive, and DSC Off vs. TracDSC vs Full Nanny Mode. Any good factory reference material online?

One of the things that I'm quite curious about is, in full DSC mode, will the nannys will cut power drastically due to wheelspin, or simply limit power to what the tires can handle (dial it back just a little to regain grip). I was under the impression that the car cut power drastically only when a yaw problem was detected, and I'm getting drastic power cuts when there shouldn't be much of a yaw problem... and I often see the Traction Control working furiously when I accelerate without drastic power cuts. Maybe its saving my ***, cause from what I feel, I'd just keep it floored and trust my hands... and No, I am not yet comfortable enough with the limited rear grip to turn all of the nannies off, and I haven't worn out the Conti's yet, so no Michelin's for me yet.

I'd just like to know what the car is doing so I can learn how to drive around it...

Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Sadly, I've seen no such reference. This is closest I've seen...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wskjex70o2...ntrol.pdf?dl=0

Note that the 'dynamic launch' mentioned only applies to the V6S.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat

I'd just like to know what the car is doing so I can learn how to drive around it...
You need to be One with the Force, Luke...

Old 08-02-2017, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the link, but I'd really prefer a lot more detail than that...

Fairly soon after I leave home, I have a Stop Sign before turning onto a two lane road (one each way) with traffic going between 60 and 70 MPH in a steady stream from both directions. I've been experimenting with techniques that will allow me to merge into traffic ;-)).
When I go in 1st, I get entirely too much wheelspin. If I short shift to 2nd, I can get on the gas harder and earlier, but sometimes I get the big power lag. I could still be turning a little, but not much... I really wish that I didn't have to be completely straight before hammering it.
I really respect the guys that can really hammer the big V-8s - if I have problems putting down 340 hp, the big cats must really have problems!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
You need to be One with the Force, Luke...
Luke and Hans have it easy - Yoda told me that the Millennium Falcon really puts the power down - hell, it made the Kassel Run in 12 Parsecs (I think they had to replace the P Zero's after the run)...

Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Full DSC over-modulates when reaching the limits of traction. Mine will cut power for a noticeable period of time before full power is regained. I have found that TracDSC is the best compromise between abstinence and totally unprotected sex.

The following users liked this post:
jfranks (08-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Full DSC over-modulates when reaching the limits of traction. Mine will cut power for a noticeable period of time before full power is regained. I have found that TracDSC is the best compromise between abstinence and totally unprotected sex.
i agree! full "nanny" is very moderated and will **** it down quick if wheels are not perfectly strait. TracDSC is much better and will let you get fairly "tail sideways" before it also shuts it down...

Wish i had the ***** to shut if off completely...

Old 08-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
i agree! full "nanny" is very moderated and will shut it down quick if wheels are not perfectly strait. TracDSC is much better and will let you get fairly "tail sideways" before it also shuts it down...

Wish i had the ball s to shut if off completely...
autocorrect really got me on that...^^^

Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The only time I don't drive in TracDSC is inclement weather. I find the power cut too abrupt and more upsetting than slip or spin.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

To really improve traction, you may want to consider better tires if you haven't replaced the OEM Pirelli's.

In dry weather, I always drive with Dynamic mode and TracDSC. I'm in a V6S manual.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
i agree! full "nanny" is very moderated and will **** it down quick if wheels are not perfectly strait. TracDSC is much better and will let you get fairly "tail sideways" before it also shuts it down...

Wish i had the ***** to shut if off completely...
How much "tail sideways" would you say it gives you? Would you still consider it fairly safe with TracDSC? Or do you really have to be an experienced driver to handle it?

Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
How much "tail sideways" would you say it gives you? Would you still consider it fairly safe with TracDSC? Or do you really have to be an experienced driver to handle it?
Likely depends on whether you're talking V6 or V8. I believe my LSD catches me before the traction control does. I'm a cautious driver, but occasionally I feel just a bit of spin/slide before it grabs.

Would like a big parking lot to play in, to get a feel for the limits of traction. I've tracked it a couple of times (in TrakDSC), but I wasn't willing to explore the limits there, as there may have been consequences.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Likely depends on whether you're talking V6 or V8. I believe my LSD catches me before the traction control does. I'm a cautious driver, but occasionally I feel just a bit of spin/slide before it grabs.

Would like a big parking lot to play in, to get a feel for the limits of traction. I've tracked it a couple of times (in TrakDSC), but I wasn't willing to explore the limits there, as there may have been consequences.
I was mostly wondering about the V6.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Even on the V6, if you turn traction control all the way off, it becomes entirely possible to lose control entirely.

TracDSC is great in the dry. It'll let the car get sideways in a turn, let it slip a bit on launch, but it'll catch you before you go sideways.

However, TracDSC is not magic. In wet weather (or with some effort,) you can still definitely get yourself in trouble.

For anything other than donuts, I won't turn traction control all the way off.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by jfranks
Even on the V6, if you turn traction control all the way off, it becomes entirely possible to lose control entirely.

TracDSC is great in the dry. It'll let the car get sideways in a turn, let it slip a bit on launch, but it'll catch you before you go sideways.

However, TracDSC is not magic. In wet weather (or with some effort,) you can still definitely get yourself in trouble.

For anything other than donuts, I won't turn traction control all the way off.
Sounds good. I'll give TracDSC a try. (Famous last words)