F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about V6 vs V8 in AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about V6 vs V8 in AWD

Hi, I'm quite confused about this and I've only seen very limited discussion about this topic.
Some people claimed that the V8 AWD F-Type feels front heavy compared to RWD version which is of course understandable, the drivetrain now encompasses both axles. But I can't find ANY comparison between the V6 and V8 in AWD.
Here's what I know:
  • V6 is mostly the same engine as V8 with 2 cylinders removed
  • Supposedly the engines weigh the same, which SHOULD mean that weight nor balance doesn't change
  • Someone said that V6 uses a counterbalance to have the same weight and balance as V8
  • Some websites claim V8 is quite a bit heavier (around 50 or more kilograms difference), some claim they weigh the same
  • Someone said V6 AWD Jags get better lap times according to some guy who works at Jaguar with F-Types
The problem is that I have not found a thread/video comparing both AWD versions yet. I also do not know if the front heaviness wasn't fixed with later (2016?) versions of the V8. A ton of people say about the sound and power but besides that, what are the differences in balance, weight and turning? And correct me if I'm wrong, I know the R had some advantages in earlier models but wouldn't V6 R-dynamic be more or less the same as V8 R? I'd really love you to correct anything I wrote and shine some light on the matter. V6 seems like a far better practical solution right now but the heart does want a V8. If it means worse steering however, V6 it would most likely be.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-29-2023, 02:46 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

V8 weights about 110lb more than the v6 of the same configuration and body type, similarly equipped.

Source:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...hassle-161094/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-168020/

never driven the 6, but several forum members swear by the difference

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (05-09-2024)
Old 12-29-2023, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
V8 weights about 110lb more than the v6 of the same configuration and body type, similarly equipped.

Source:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...hassle-161094/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-168020/

never driven the 6, but several forum members swear by the difference
Thanks a lot! It does seem the difference is there. Makes me wonder if perhaps it's not the V6 that uses a counterbalance but the V8 instead? Maybe they use a cb at the rear which gives even more weight to the car? Is there even a cb at all?
Anyways, this is really valuable, thank you.

Old 12-29-2023, 03:15 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,493 Likes on 1,127 Posts

They didn't actually remove the back two cylinders for the V6, just didn't fit pistons, etc. The blocks are the same overall size.

Carbuff2 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by scm
They didn't actually remove the back two cylinders for the V6, just didn't fit pistons, etc. The blocks are the same overall size.
Hehe, does this mean that it can theoretically be converted into a V8? :P

Old 12-29-2023, 03:18 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,493 Likes on 1,127 Posts

I don't know what sort of state the extra "cylinders" are in!

Old 12-29-2023, 03:25 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,411 Posts

There are only 6 cylinders in the V6 block, it’s reinforcing webs where the other two cylinders would be. This gives them the same footprint, so that the V6 or V8 can easily be installed in the same car (F-type, XJ, Rovers, I think XF).

Carbuff2 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
There are only 6 cylinders in the V6 block, it’s reinforcing webs where the other two cylinders would be. This gives them the same footprint, so that the V6 or V8 can easily be installed in the same car (F-type, XJ, Rovers, I think XF).
I really do wonder however where might the additional weight come from then? Surely just the 2 cylinders can't save 110lbs...

Old 12-29-2023, 03:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The V8s have an e-diff, the V6S (whatever they call it now) has a mechanical LSD, and the base V6 has an open diff. No idea about the relative weights.

The V6 has two fewer pistons and connecting rods, and a bit simplified crank. No idea how much that saves. No idea about the flywheel.

Last edited by DJS; 12-29-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
The V8S have an e-diff, the V6S (whatever they call it now) has a mechanical LSD, and the base V6 has an open diff. No idea about the relative weights.

The V6 has two fewer pistons and connecting rods, and a bit simplified crank. No idea how much that saves. No idea about the flywheel.
I thought the V6 AWD would also have an e-diff instead of LSD, am I wrong?

Old 12-29-2023, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,230 Likes on 2,384 Posts

See here for a brief explanation of the differences between the V8 and V6 engines: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ers-redundant/
Yes the V6 has counterbalance shafts that the V8 does not have, one at each end of the crankshaft.
In that article they guess the V8 weighs around 50 lb more than the V6.
I'm fairly sure the AWD V6 uses the same rear diff as the RWD V6S, i.e. the mechanical LSD and not the e-diff which is reserved for the V8, and if so that would account for a little more weight difference.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vedemin
I really do wonder however where might the additional weight come from then? Surely just the 2 cylinders can't save 110lbs...
larger super charger, heavier exhaust(?), more engine oil/coolant, larger piston(?)

Old 12-29-2023, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
See here for a brief explanation of the differences between the V8 and V6 engines: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ers-redundant/
Yes the V6 has counterbalance shafts that the V8 does not have, one at each end of the crankshaft.
In that article they guess the V8 weighs around 50 lb more than the V6.
I'm fairly sure the AWD V6 uses the same rear diff as the RWD V6S, i.e. the mechanical LSD and not the e-diff which is reserved for the V8, and if so that would account for a little more weight difference.
Thanks, you've mentioned a ton of useful info.
Perhaps I'd drive this thread towards a general comparison then, it seems to me the difference apart from the engine is indeed the differential. Would you know how does a LSD compare to the e-diff? I see from 2019 onwards the LSD also has torque vectoring like e-diff always did. How would these diffs compare in normal driving as well as in snow and ice? (I live in a very varied weather country)

Old 12-29-2023, 06:02 PM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Bear in mind that the two engines have different bore and stroke which also should account for some weight differences.

It seems like the V8 cars always feel heavier. I recently watched some old back to back comparison of an RWD V6 and RWD V8 where they concluded there was a pretty big difference in weight and handling feel. You can expect the same with AWD cars. I'm admittedly biased but if you want the best of both worlds - both fantastic noise and very nice handling, an RWD V6S is the way to go. No problem with wet or winter driving conditions as long as you have proper tires. I wouldn't say it's more practical than a V8 car, just a different kind of beast. If your heart says V8 rumble and you're looking for a kind of muscle car experience you surely won't be unhappy with an AWD V8. It really depends on what you expect the F-Type to be.

Good question about the performance differences between the LSD and e-diff. No idea but one difference I've read about is that the e-diff can overheat on track while I've never heard about such issues with the LSD.

I've had powerful RWD and AWD Jags over the last decade and have driven them all in winter conditions. The DSC and snow/wet driving modes really help a lot. I'd say that any modern Jag with proper tires, regardless of RWD or AWD, will be fine on snow and ice. Except especially tricky situations like starting on slippery inclines where the AWD clearly has an advantage. That said, don't focus on only AWD cars.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 596 Likes on 408 Posts

The RWD cars feel 'livelier' because you can easily spin the rear tires....

But AWD puts the ample power to the to pavement. Yes, that might 'deaden' the steering feel a little. But it DOES help the V8 cars handle.

Old 12-30-2023, 10:20 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

The AWD is 99% of the time mostly (90%+) RWD unless slipping happens or you set it to rain/snow....

A tuned V6 with pulley can get to 475 on pump gas (93) and 550hp on e85 (velocityap.com numbers). I used to think awd was ediff but was corrected, it is mechanical. The failures on the rear diff afaik are all with the ediff's. Likely from heat and/or too little mechanical empathy (launches are very hard on a car so I don't do them). Have no idea but I suspect repair/replacement is less costly on the mechanical unit too.

Have driven the V8 and my V6 on winding roads and the V6 is better in my opinion - 50/50 and a little more steering feel up front...awd both.

....the v6 is a slower car so it is more engaging at stock power because you are wringing it out...as you add power, it can become less so unless you are like me and like the higher rpm sound. In the end, all the pundits and gurus who say the v6 is their pick may just being saying this sort of thing...I like driving a slow car fast more than a fast car slow. Too much power makes a car boring....to me for these cars for the street, unless you are a drag racer the 450hp range is just about perfect...4 seconds to 60 is quick. Flooring it..you don't die... power to weight is nice.

Had a higher hp to weight car in the past...it was really unable to be used on the street and in the end I sold it as it was boring.....have spoken to owners of high HP cars that were "adults" and probably 9/10 agree with that. There is a joy to an old 911 because the power is not there...the feel is....that is why those cars are worth so much.

Wish our cars weighed 500lb less. If they did they'd be neck and neck with 911's ...perhaps better as more rare and no bore scoring...

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-30-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:26 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

FWIW, and just to throw in a different vector to this discussion, the transfer case of the AWD adds some weight and other considerations over the RWD models.

Similar to DSC, Jaguar's Intelligent Driveline Dynamic (IDD... doncha jis love these TLA's?) uses sensors to control the amount/percent of delivery applied to the front and rear wheels. Normally, this is about 90% to the rear, but can be as much as 100% on a dry surface with full acceleration. Flipping up the 'Rain/Ice/Snow switch on the console overrides the transfer to 50/50. She-who-must-be-obeyed notes the Rain/Ice/Snow mode immediately. She claims that when turned on, my F-type feels like her Audi AWD.

One thing to note, however, is that the IDD controls kick in slightly before the normal DSC controls. Which makes sense, if you think about it.

V6 vs V8 weight? For my MY21, specs for the AWD V8 show about 190 lbs (86 kg) over the AWD V6. I suspect most of this in in the front (same block-larger bores, larger SC, more pistons, rods, etc.). But I don't know if there's a difference in weight between the V8's rear e-diff (the electric motor?) vs. the LSD in the V6. The transfer case (and weight) *should* be the same for both. And I believe that the same tranny is installed on both (ZF8HP70). Note that there was no option for a MT for MY 2021 or later.

Still, the reviews I've read state that the V6's have the front/rear balance point more central than the V8's... and as such have better response on curves than the more-front-heavy V8's.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert, by any means. And I haven't driven a V8 F-type to compare. But, I've owned and driven V8's, V6's, I4's of many different mfg's and models, years, and 'stability controls'. My preferred driving is on curvy roads and not so much on straight-line roads (or overly-engineered freeways). And I have to say that I do notice a difference when driving V8's on such roads. And, that there's been a noticeable improvement after I add weight to the rear of the car. Regardless, this was a significant factor when I chose my F-type model.

I'm not sure they'd fit, but I wonder if I add three or four 15-bottle cases of bubbly in the trunk, if my car would drive like a V8 R. Something to ponder, I guess.

The following 2 users liked this post by theEIger:
jcb-memphis (12-30-2023), Panthro (05-09-2024)
Old 12-30-2023, 08:37 PM
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
The AWD is 99% of the time mostly (90%+) RWD unless slipping happens or you set it to rain/snow....

A tuned V6 with pulley can get to 475 on pump gas (93) and 550hp on e85 (velocityap.com numbers). I used to think awd was ediff but was corrected, it is mechanical. The failures on the rear diff afaik are all with the ediff's. Likely from heat and/or too little mechanical empathy (launches are very hard on a car so I don't do them). Have no idea but I suspect repair/replacement is less costly on the mechanical unit too.

Have driven the V8 and my V6 on winding roads and the V6 is better in my opinion - 50/50 and a little more steering feel up front...awd both.

....the v6 is a slower car so it is more engaging at stock power because you are wringing it out...as you add power, it can become less so unless you are like me and like the higher rpm sound. In the end, all the pundits and gurus who say the v6 is their pick may just being saying this sort of thing...I like driving a slow car fast more than a fast car slow. Too much power makes a car boring....to me for these cars for the street, unless you are a drag racer the 450hp range is just about perfect...4 seconds to 60 is quick. Flooring it..you don't die... power to weight is nice.

Had a higher hp to weight car in the past...it was really unable to be used on the street and in the end I sold it as it was boring.....have spoken to owners of high HP cars that were "adults" and probably 9/10 agree with that. There is a joy to an old 911 because the power is not there...the feel is....that is why those cars are worth so much.

Wish our cars weighed 500lb less. If they did they'd be neck and neck with 911's ...perhaps better as more rare and no bore scoring...
Agree 100% - there's probably some minor differences in weight, suspension tuning etc. that make the cars feel a bit different. A big component is how you have to drive the thing - the V6 is much more balanced from a power perspective. The V8s are just animals. Both handle great but a very different experience on tight roads.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:04 PM

So i dug up another thread stating the supercharger in the 8 is 125lbs vs 85lbs on the 6, i believed the charge cooler is also larger on the 8, combined with difference in the block, about a 100 lbs above center of gravity on top of front axel, if this is true(~100 lbs), it’s probably why the turn in feels different, plus possible difference in suspension tuning.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/evo-magazine-review-f-type-166862/

As far as bubbly water goes, non bubbly ones work just as well and i found 2 cases of Kirkland signature brand tames the rear movement nicely.

It’s a shame our car is not more popular and aftermarket suspension upgrade is almost nonexistent.

Last edited by Ray Ray; 01-02-2024 at 11:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ray Ray:
bfrank1972 (01-03-2024), jcb-memphis (01-03-2024), Panthro (05-09-2024)