F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connect the front license plate in LA (or California?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No comment on your political commentary above, but it is absolutely true that if you try to run without a front plate in Maryland, you will eventually give up and comply because you'll tire of being stopped frequently at $75 per infraction.

It's a far different situation here than most other places where "only meter maids do it." In addition, LEO's will stop out of state vehicles as well, and they will check to see if your registration is from a "front plate state." If it is, they will cite you.
Unbelievable. The law enforcement folks in Maryland need to find something better to be doing with their time. I'm glad we don't have that crap going on in Texas. There are isolated cases of enforcement here, but it's pretty lax.

In fact, it doesn't seem like Maryland LEO's would have jurisdiction to enforce another states laws. They may be overstepping their bounds when stopping out of state cars.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I never have a front plate on my cars. Every once in a while I will get a $25 fix it ticket. I have a license frame that attaches to a rod that screws into the tow pull up front. You just remove the plastic bumper piece. Most cars have them. I know my XFR did. Haven't checked on the F Type. But it's an easy temporary solution that passes inspection in California.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by rkrenek
Unbelievable. The law enforcement folks in Maryland need to find something better to be doing with their time. I'm glad we don't have that crap going on in Texas. There are isolated cases of enforcement here, but it's pretty lax.

In fact, it doesn't seem like Maryland LEO's would have jurisdiction to enforce another states laws. They may be overstepping their bounds when stopping out of state cars.
Actually they are not. They are enforcing Maryland law in Maryland. However, the officer is supposed to ensure that the out of state car is from a place that requires a front plate.

I do agree that the degree of enforcement is a misplaced priority.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmarton
I never have a front plate on my cars. Every once in a while I will get a $25 fix it ticket.
To be fair, it took Maryland officials 3 years before they took notice of the missing plate. If that statistical evidence were significant (i'd need another couple dozen data points for that), I'd be willing to risk an average cost of $25/year. But, face it, a MINI draws a lot less attention than an F-Type will. My decision to accede to the requirement was based on the presence of a higher authority at the time of the ticket, my wife. (Simple equation: cost of "No-Holes" bracket<cost of divorce). I suspect it will take her a lot longer than the establishment to note the missing tag on the new car.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
To be fair, it took Maryland officials 3 years before they took notice of the missing plate. If that statistical evidence were significant (i'd need another couple dozen data points for that), I'd be willing to risk an average cost of $25/year. But, face it, a MINI draws a lot less attention than an F-Type will. My decision to accede to the requirement was based on the presence of a higher authority at the time of the ticket, my wife. (Simple equation: cost of "No-Holes" bracket<cost of divorce). I suspect it will take her a lot longer than the establishment to note the missing tag on the new car.
You were very lucky, but with the enormous Mini population in these parts, you blended in well. I was stopped a 3 times in the first 3 months in my new Z06, and a similar number of times in my Lotus before I gave up.

I'm relatively certain it has everything to do with the head-turning quotient on the car. Your new F-Type won't escape attention.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

You were very lucky, but with the enormous Mini population in these parts, you blended in well. I was stopped a 3 times in the first 3 months in my new Z06, and a similar number of times in my Lotus before I gave up.

I'm relatively certain it has everything to do with the head-turning quotient on the car. Your new F-Type won't escape attention.
You are correct.. these cars draw lots of attention, from the cops as well.

I've mentioned before the cops in Ontario, Canada are fanatics with anything they can ticket to meet 'quota'.. sounds like Maryland is the same.
Lawrence.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

I just want a car that turns my head. I guess I'll have to carry the burden of others taking notice.

The electrically retracting tag frame is starting to look real attractive. (Officer, you say no front tag? Please check again.)

Old 12-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

I just want a car that turns my head. I guess I'll have to carry the burden of others taking notice.

The electrically retracting tag frame is starting to look real attractive. (Officer, you say no front tag? Please check again.)
In my [infinite] experience, "please", "thank you", "good day officer", "my apologies officer", including some pretty unbelievable things I've said in the past (too numerous to mention here and now) have worked wonders for me.

Yesterday, while on my 100+ mile jaunt, I passed several LEOS driving in the opposite direction, several I could see in my side or rear view mirror, practically slam on their brakes wondering, I suspect, what kind of car was that?. Luckily I wasn't pushing the pedal to the metal at that time - certainly not excessively; which I also guess is relative - and that was that.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-21-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I had the electronic retracting frame on my XKR, but it won't fit on the ftype front due to splitter on bottom front of the car. Or at least frame that was available a year ago.. double checked with mechanic..
Lawrence.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

I have my doubts that will work on the F-Type. The flexible part of the front splitter is very low, and I don't see anywhere for it to retract under.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

I have my doubts that will work on the F-Type. The flexible part of the front splitter is very low, and I don't see anywhere for it to retract under.

How deep is the splitter? Less than 6"?

Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

How deep is the splitter? Less than 6"?
Yes, less than 2"

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, less than 2"
That won't do!

How much room right above the front spoiler? It needs a space of 2 " high by 6" deep.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

If you blow this picture up, you can see it underneath.

Attached Thumbnails Connect the front license plate in LA (or California?)-gyrodynes.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
In my [infinite] experience, "please", "thank you", "good day officer", "my apologies officer", including some pretty unbelievable things I've said in the past (too numerous to mention here and now) have worked wonders for me.
Here in Maryland that doesn't work for missing tags. Speeding is a different matter. I've had 100% success all four times I've used this response when the officer asks if I knew how fast I was going: " yes officer, way to f...ing fast", while looking pathetically remorseful. Invariably they bust a gut laughing, tell me to slow it down and let me go my merry way. That was in a di minimis MINI, so they might not be so accommodating with an F-Type.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Here in Maryland that doesn't work for missing tags. Speeding is a different matter. I've had 100% success all four times I've used this response when the officer asks if I knew how fast I was going: " yes officer, way to f...ing fast", while looking pathetically remorseful. Invariably they bust a gut laughing, tell me to slow it down and let me go my merry way. That was in a di minimis MINI, so they might not be so accommodating with an F-Type.
LOL . . . I told RJ that months ago, but he apparently doesn't believe me.

BTW, here is a better picture (borrowed) of the splitter/air dam/nose configuration. As I said, you only have a 2" depth difference between the leading edge of the upper portion of the nose splitter, and flexible (lower) portion underneath. There's about 4.75" of ground clearance on that one.

Attached Thumbnails Connect the front license plate in LA (or California?)-splitter.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

LOL . . . I told RJ that months ago, but he apparently doesn't believe me.
Paraphrasing Fox Mulder, "I don't want to believe". But of course I don't doubt you. Either of you. Too bad.

When I ride through Maryland - crab cakes anyone? - I guess I'll just have to take my chances; and I'm perfectly cool with that.

Cheers gentlemen!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-22-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I had the electronic retracting frame on my XKR, but it won't fit on the ftype front due to splitter on bottom front of the car. Or at least frame that was available a year ago.. double checked with mechanic..
Lawrence.
I recently purchased a 2003 XKR coupe (MD resident) and I am very interested in using a retracting frame but haven’t been able to find one that works on the X100 (only the X150). If you had a X100, please advise which company produced your retracting frame.
Help from anyone greatly appreciated as I refuse to ruin the front of this beauty!
Thanks

Old 09-04-2021, 05:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sto and Sho is the way to go. I haven't had a front plate on my F Type or my Macan GTS since I got them. The problem wasn't getting stopped for not having a front plate, but was for a new change in the law for getting an inspection sticker as many of you have mentioned.
I purchased the sto and sho to get the cars inspected. I haven't used it since getting the cars inspected, but the bracket for it is still on the bumper and is invisible. I keep plate and the piece that holds the plate in my trunk. it takes one second to put it back on. I figure if I ever got stopped, I could retrieve it from the trunk and tell the officer that my car just got detailed and they forgot to put it on.
I searched for a solution and found this is the best out there.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I think whtalcott got caught in the 'recommend threads' trap that the forum now has (2014 is th oldest I've seen revived by this). Not much XK knowledge in the F-Type forum. You'd be better posting this question in the XK forum.

Vik

Quick Reply: Connect the front license plate in LA (or California?)