F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2018 F Type 340hp Convertible - Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Considering a 2018 F Type 340hp Convertible - Feedback Requested

Thanks for having me. As the title states, I'm considering leasing a 2018 F Type 340hp Convertible. I'd appreciate some feedback from current owners on what they like and dislike about the car. I will be using this car as my daily driver so feedback from those using their F Type Convertible as a daily driver would be most valuable. The car I am considering is pretty well equipped with Switchable Active Exhaust, Meridian 770W Stereo, NAV, Front Parking Aid, Blind Spot and Reverse Traffic Detection and Climate Package 1. Some of my questions: Is maintenance included? How well does the AC work (had a MB CLK350 Cabriolet and the AC sucked)? Is the car comfortable enough to be used as a daily driver? What's the road noise like with the top and windows up? I'm looking for real world feedback before I head to the dealer and get the puppy dogs and ice cream pitch. It's a sweet car and I'm excited but I just want to do a little research to make sure it is right for me. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Received 190 Likes on 95 Posts

Welcome!! I'm leasing a 2017 V6S Coupe. During April - October it's pretty much my daily driver. Regular Maintenance is included. The only thing I've had to pay for so far is Tires. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The Active Exhaust is epic.

Personally, I think the V6 sounds better than the V8. Blind Spot monitor is really a nice feature to have on highways

The following users liked this post:
rexus31 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have a newer one (got mine as a CPO a couple of months ago), so I can't speak for maintenance being included, but my girl is my daily driver. I got the V6S though, not the base for what that's worth. My AC is amazing (only got a bit sweaty yesterday sitting in standstill traffic at close to 100 degrees F with the top down and AC going) - I actually got a bit red on my chest from the sun - looks lovely with the white area from the seatbelt - because we sat for so long.

I was amazed at how quiet the drive is with the top/windows up. I bought mine in Florida and drove the 600 miles home. A good portion of it with the top/windows up because I didn't want to cook in the sun for that many hours. I got going a lot faster than I meant to because it was so quiet I didn't realize I was going that fast (as in thought I was doing about 70mph and looked down and realized I was doing 110mph).

rexus31 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jaguar1611
Welcome!! I'm leasing a 2017 V6S Coupe. During April - October it's pretty much my daily driver. Regular Maintenance is included. The only thing I've had to pay for so far is Tires. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The Active Exhaust is epic.

Personally, I think the V6 sounds better than the V8. Blind Spot monitor is really a nice feature to have on highways
Thanks for the feedback!

Tires already?! That's a bit concerning!

Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by PBBarb
I don't have a newer one (got mine as a CPO a couple of months ago), so I can't speak for maintenance being included, but my girl is my daily driver. I got the V6S though, not the base for what that's worth. My AC is amazing (only got a bit sweaty yesterday sitting in standstill traffic at close to 100 degrees F with the top down and AC going) - I actually got a bit red on my chest from the sun - looks lovely with the white area from the seatbelt - because we sat for so long.

I was amazed at how quiet the drive is with the top/windows up. I bought mine in Florida and drove the 600 miles home. A good portion of it with the top/windows up because I didn't want to cook in the sun for that many hours. I got going a lot faster than I meant to because it was so quiet I didn't realize I was going that fast (as in thought I was doing about 70mph and looked down and realized I was doing 110mph).
Thanks for the feedback on the cabin noise with the windows and top up. Good to know!

Sounds like the AC is nothing like the unit in our CLK350 Cabriolet!

Old 06-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by rexus31
Thanks for the feedback!

The standard tire on the F-Type is the Pirelli PZero. If you like Pirellis then they are fine. But the general concensus is that these cars come (even more) alive with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. This is why tires are mentioned, not for any fault in the cars themselves. My car still has the as-new Pirellis (which are as good as new Pirellis are...); I am hoping for an excuse to get the Michelins sooner rather than later: smoother, quieter, better control.

I also have the V6S at 380 hp but the two V6 engines are almost identical in performance below 4000 rpm. The sound and the power are intoxicating! - and the climate control is superb with icy AC.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
The standard tire on the F-Type is the Pirelli PZero. If you like Pirellis then they are fine. But the general concensus is that these cars come (even more) alive with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. This is why tires are mentioned, not for any fault in the cars themselves. My car still has the as-new Pirellis (which are as good as new Pirellis are...); I am hoping for an excuse to get the Michelins sooner rather than later: smoother, quieter, better control.

I also have the V6S at 380 hp but the two V6 engines are almost identical in performance below 4000 rpm. The sound and the power are intoxicating! - and the climate control is superb with icy AC.
Thanks for the info! I'm learning more by the minute!

Old 06-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

As stated in many other threads, you won't buy the jag for power, technology or nimble handling (although it does handle very well for it's size and weight), but you will buy it for the looks and the personality. My recommendation is to give it a couple of hours (if the dealer lets you) and get to know it's style and character. As it did with me, I think you will find it a fun capable car that puts a smile on your face! The smile factor is what won me over, although the performance is pretty stellar on my V8 R....

Old 06-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

3 years and 25K miles with my 2015 V6 base convert, however I have a VAP ECU tune + pulley since 11K.

I don't drive it daily, mostly just weekends, and summers only.

How does that help you? My wife and I take many long road trips all summer long, so I'm thinking I can offer some insight.

Your questions:

How well does the AC work (had a MB CLK350 Cabriolet and the AC sucked)? It works very well. We don't get many days over 90F in the upper mid-west, but the AC is good.

Is the car comfortable enough to be used as a daily driver? It is a very comfortable car, I have the performance seats, and a very average 5'10" body for reference.

What's the road noise like with the top and windows up? I have owned, and still own many conv and the F-Type is very quiet. Road noise is not an issue.

To jump on the power and tires comments.

I got the tune because at 340, it just feels held back when you want to go. But that it personal preference, the car is good as is.

I also switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, got about 12K out of the orig P-Zeros, but I do drive it a bit hard at times. Don't be concerned about that.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by NigelW
3 years and 25K miles with my 2015 V6 base convert, however I have a VAP ECU tune + pulley since 11K.

I don't drive it daily, mostly just weekends, and summers only.

How does that help you? My wife and I take many long road trips all summer long, so I'm thinking I can offer some insight.

Your questions:

How well does the AC work (had a MB CLK350 Cabriolet and the AC sucked)? It works very well. We don't get many days over 90F in the upper mid-west, but the AC is good.

Is the car comfortable enough to be used as a daily driver? It is a very comfortable car, I have the performance seats, and a very average 5'10" body for reference.

What's the road noise like with the top and windows up? I have owned, and still own many conv and the F-Type is very quiet. Road noise is not an issue.

To jump on the power and tires comments.

I got the tune because at 340, it just feels held back when you want to go. But that it personal preference, the car is good as is.

I also switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, got about 12K out of the orig P-Zeros, but I do drive it a bit hard at times. Don't be concerned about that.

Hope some of this helps.
Thanks, Nigel! Great feedback!

Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

The tires on f types are summer performance ties which traditionally don't last as long as all season tires.

rexus31 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
The tires on f types are summer performance ties which traditionally don't last as long as all season tires.

Since being from upstate NY, I feel the need to agree with JaguNY, although mostly because it is a very good point.

jaguny (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Well, its nice to have agreement from a fellow upstate ny'er. Summer performance tires will wear quickly with most any car that has them. My Supercharged XF sedan ate through them pretty quickly but I squeezed 26k out of them by putting a bunch of summer miles on at the end and using dedicated winters which took more of the pot hole abuse. F type only sees summer driving.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Is the car comfortable enough to be used as a daily driver?
Yes, but... it is not a type of car one would drive while suffering from hemorrhoids. It is stiff, but not punishingly so.

It also has just about enough cabin space to not be cramped. Mercedes SL probably has most leg room of any roadster. F-type isn't like that.

Heater, heated seats, and heated steering wheel work quite well and allow you to drive with top down in cold weather.

What's the road noise like with the top and windows up?
You can have a conversation with windows up and top down, with top up it is as good as rag top could get, as it is sound insulated.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

P Zero's were toast after 10,000 miles. Also had a few nails. Switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. EXCELLENT Tires. Worth the cost.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
You can have a conversation with windows up and top down, with top up it is as good as rag top could get, as it is sound insulated.

I've had a number of hands-free phone conversations with the top down and windows up. Just have to speak up a bit.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Remus: I see the Car you’re looking at has Front Parking Aid, Blind Spot and Reverse Traffic Detection, this is good, every one is different but I wouldn’t buy an F-Type without them, they only have to save you once to make them worthwhile.

I bought the base, 240hp Conv for my Wife 2 1/2 years ago and it’s her Daily Driver. From a practical point of view, it’s amazing what she can fit into it, stopping at Costco on the way home has never been a problem, the big pack of Paper Towels sits on the Passenger Seat. The Boot can also swallow a LOT of Groceries. We have also taken it to the Palm Springs area, 110 miles away, it’s possible to fit two largish pull-along suit Cases with 2-3 worth of Luggage if you put them end to end. The last time we went over there in it the Temperature was around 110 degrees, the Car cooled down really fast, excellent A/C. On the other end of the Spectrum, we live on the Coast and driving on cold ( to us) evenings in the winter with th heater and seat/Steering wheel warmers on is fantastic.

Wind and Road noise? It’s a Convertible Sports Car, the road/traffic noise is a lot less than I would have expected.

It’s very “roomy” really, it’s wide, only 2” narrower than a Range Rover, 76” vs 78”.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar1611
P Zero's were toast after 10,000 miles. Also had a few nails. Switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. EXCELLENT Tires. Worth the cost.
Oh tell me about it, I put new rear Tires on at the Dealer about 3 months ago, 2 weeks later a Nail made sure I had to replace one of them

Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I've had a number of hands-free phone conversations with the top down and windows up. Just have to speak up a bit.
I get bitter complaints on hands free phone conversations if the turn signal, hazards, or wipers are going. Microphone must be close by and maybe amplified in the coupe. Surprised in the vert, phone is good with just windows up. If windows are down in the coupe, road noise is disruptive to phone. Nothing unusual, but I never had complaints about the turnsignals while on the phone in my XF.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-09-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
Oh tell me about it, I put new rear Tires on at the Dealer about 3 months ago, 2 weeks later a Nail made sure I had to replace one of them
That's the worst. Last summer, it was raining and I drove over what i thought was a puddle. Turned out to be a thin piece of wooden fence painted dark green. Front driver's side had 2 nail holes, rear had 1. Earlier his year, I was driving through an intersection...suddenly felt a thud and repeated clunking. Pulled over and found a massive bolt in the middle of the tread. Thankfully I've had the Michelin's for a few thousand miles with no problems.

Quick Reply: Considering a 2018 F Type 340hp Convertible - Feedback Requested