F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2018 F Type 340hp Convertible - Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like I'm not going to be able to make the numbers work on a 2018 mostly due to the negative equity of my current vehicle, a 2015 Dodge Charger R/T, Road and Track Package. Tomorrow, I'm going to look at a Certified Pre Owned 2015 F Type Convertible that is a very well equipped, one owner car with only 12,000 miles on the clock; Polaris White, Jet Black Interior. It's got all the options on my wish list except for the 770W Meridian Upgrade. So, my next question:

Is the 380W standard system adequate? I've got the upgraded Beats audio system in my current car so I am used to the more powerful stereo. Will the 380W system disappoint?

I'm also curious about the key differences between the 2015 and 2018 models. Visually, to my eye, the exterior and interior of both model years seem almost identical. Are there any differences between the two, ascetically or otherwise?

One last question. I was chatting with a buddy about my potential purchase and he quipped, "It's a chick car." Does he have something or should I reconsider our friendship?

Thanks for your input and patience with this potentially new (to me) F Type owner.

Last edited by rexus31; 06-10-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:25 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Not a chick car, nor a chick magnet.

If you're used to a good audio system, it's likely you'll be disappointed with the 380W, and maybe with the 770W. I'd suggest you listen to it, it seems they aren't very consistent. They're sensitive to the source quality - SiriusXM is poor, FM radio is mediocre. Try a CD or good quality MP3 off USB or your phone.

2018 front fascia is very different - one big vent on each side, rather than the 'shark gills' from earlier years.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rexus31
Is the 380W standard system adequate?
Will the 380W system disappoint?

One last question. I was chatting with a buddy about my potential purchase and he quipped, "It's a chick car." Does he have something or should I reconsider our friendship?

I know the sound system has received a bit of bad press, perhaps deserved in those cases, however I have no complaints, and I have the 380W system in my 2015 vert. The quality is fine, and even with the top down, the volume is more than adequate. And no, my expectations are not low (I don't think). Most often I use my phone with Bluetooth.

+1 on it's not a chic car.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

The 380 watt system doesn't have the surround option with the front coaxial speaker. I have the 770w system, but changed the door and coaxial speakers to better quality Meridian signature speakers and added sound dampening in the doors. The difference is significant. Paul Calvert, a forum member, did the same with the 380 w and noted an improvement as well. Cambo, a forum member, moderator, and generous contributor of Jag knowledge has a conversion for the 380 watt to 770 but he's in Australia so not sure if someone can do it here. There is a thread on upgrading your stereo that discusses these options.

Now as far as being a "chick car"-in the area where I live, perception of a white sports car, in some circles, could be considered a chick car BUT, when I bought my white coupe I checked with several of my male partners and some cool, car loving chicks and all confirmed that my car was definitively not a chick car. (Also checked with my wife, who is not a car lover, but recommended the car color I now drive.) There is a thread on the forum somewhere on this subject. Now, your target car is a vert, but these same male "consultants, also drive convertibles and asked me why I didn't buy the convertible. Street credentials have been conferred by a diverse group of strangers as well, almost on a daily basis, mostly male, but not exclusively. My car also received a people's choice 1st place over a red Ferrari, BMW i8, Porsches and other cool cars at a local European car show. Not sure what car your buddy has but when your blasting past him, WOT, exhaust firing in 3.5 to 60, you won't be able to hear or see him. Now, if he's a good friend and not just a buddy, you could forgive him and either let him ride in the car, or if you're particularly gracious (which most Jag drivers are) you could possibly bring your self to let him drive it.

Where's your buddy from anyway? I didn't think any car would be a chick car in California.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-11-2018 at 05:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rexus31 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
The 380 watt system doesn't have the surround option with the front coaxial speaker. I have the 770w system, but changed the door and coaxial speakers to better quality Meridian signature speakers and added sound dampening in the doors. The difference is significant. Paul Calvert, a forum member, did the same with the 380 w and noted an improvement as well. Cambo, a forum member, moderator, and generous contributor of Jag knowledge has a conversion for the 380 watt to 770 but he's in Australia so not sure if someone can do it here. There is a thread on upgrading your stereo that discusses these options.

Now as far as being a "chick car"-in the area where I live, perception of a white sports car, in some circles, could be considered a chick car BUT, when I bought my white coupe I checked with several of my male partners and some cool, car loving chicks and all confirmed that my car was definitively not a chick car. (Also checked with my wife, who is not a car lover, but recommended the car color I now drive.) There is a thread on the forum somewhere on this subject. Now, your target car is a vert, but these same male "consultants, also drive convertibles and asked me why I didn't buy the convertible. Street credentials have been conferred by a diverse group of strangers as well, almost on a daily basis, mostly male, but not exclusively. My car also received a people's choice 1st place over a red Ferrari, BMW i8, Porsches and other cool cars at a local European car show. Not sure what car your buddy has but when your blasting past him, WOT, exhaust firing in 3.5 to 60, you won't be able to hear or see him. Now, if he's a good friend and not just a buddy, you could forgive him and either let him ride in the car, or if you're particularly gracious (which most Jag drivers are) you could possibly bring your self to let him drive it.

Where's your buddy from anyway? I didn't think any car would be a chick car in California.
Thank for the into on the stereo upgrade. I've read the stereo upgrade thread and feel I can tackle everything but the software update but I will PM Cambo regarding that if I buy the car and if I feel the 380W system is not to my liking.

To be clear, I do not think the car is a chick car by any means. My friend, who lives locally in SoCal, recently bought a Chevy Colorado Z71 truck (traded a '16 Mustang Ecoboost 4; chick car in my mind). I sent him some YouTube videos last night of the '15 F-Type 'vert in action and he's come around considerably. His only quip, "Does it have to be white?" He'll get over it. I actually like the white and it's the only affordable F-Type in the area that has the options I want except for the 770W surround system, which seems like an easy fix if need be. Plus, it's got super low miles with only 12,000 on the clock.

At any rate, I'm excited. I've got an appointment with the dealer at 4pm today to test drive the car and see if we can make the numbers work. The sales manager was pretty confident they could. Is there anything I should be aware of or ask about the car while at the dealer? It's a Certified Pre Owned car with the remaining factory warranty and the Certified 7yr/100K mile warranty on top of it. I was hoping to get into a car that had the complimentary scheduled maintenance included. What am I looking at as far as maintenance costs? It looks like the oil gets changed every 16K miles or 12 months. What's that cost? Any other maintenance fees I should be concerned about?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

First, one of the car loving chicks (no offense intended) drives a v6 mustang so your buddy needs to rethink who's calling who, what. I'd reconsider your friendship at this point since he's been driving a chick car.

Have the dealer run the repair history on the car. There was a technical service bulletin on the stereo, but I don't think it applied to verts. Some O2 sensor replacements on my 16, but not sure about 15s. If you want to subscribe to Topix you can find all of them, but a search of the forum will turn up issues with 15s as this has been asked before. My 16 has 5 years of maintenance included so I'm no help on oil or maintenance costs. Two people have bought CPOs from dealers and then found out the cars had aftermarket tunes. You may want them to put in writing this isn't the case with your CPO. The CPO should certify it's not the case, but better safe than sorry.

Oh, and good luck and hope your driving it home tonight.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:43 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! Unfortunately, they couldn't make the numbers work. I'll keep my car for a while longer and try again in 6 months or so. I don't drive as much as I used to so the mileage should catch up with the age.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear this, keep looking.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Well, it didn't take them long to call me with better offers. After many calls and texts, we settled on the deal so up to the dealer I went to get my new (to me) F- Type Convertible! Unfortunately the deal died when we got to the warranty. The original purchase date was 12/14 which meant the 7yr/100K CPO Warranty would expire 6 months prior to the termination of the 3 year lease. I did not feel comfortable having no warranty on a then 7 year old high performance sports car so I walked. I felt terrible for the sales manager and the sales rep who really did bend over backward to work the deal, but I didn't feel good about it. Bad move? Good move? The car has 12,200 on the clock now so it would have around 42K at lease end.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Well, it didn't take them long to call me with better offers. After many calls and texts, we settled on the deal so up to the dealer I went to get my new (to me) F- Type Convertible! Unfortunately the deal died when we got to the warranty. The original purchase date was 12/14 which meant the 7yr/100K CPO Warranty would expire 6 months prior to the termination of the 3 year lease. I did not feel comfortable having no warranty on a then 7 year old high performance sports car so I walked. I felt terrible for the sales manager and the sales rep who really did bend over backward to work the deal, but I didn't feel good about it. Bad move? Good move? The car has 12,200 on the clock now so it would have around 42K at lease end.
It’s a “good” move but only because YOU made it. Personally I would have taken the deal and taken my chances considering, relatively speaking, these cars have proven to be quite reliable over the years and 42,000 miles is nothing to speak of.

Life is full of risks but I am firm and ardent believer in carpe diem.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
It’s a “good” move but only because YOU made it. Personally I would have taken the deal and taken my chances considering, relatively speaking, these cars have proven to be quite reliable over the years and 42,000 miles is nothing to speak of.

Life is full of risks but I am firm and ardent believer in carpe diem.
If I loved the car, I probably would have taken the deal, but that's why I have my husband help keep me in check (I fall in love with cars and houses and someone more responsible than I am needs to remind me not to be stupid about it). I was ready to jump on the V8S we looked at, but he had warned me that unless x, y, and z happened, I had to be prepared to walk. Walk away we did and the following week I found the one I got for a better deal, better mileage, still under warranty (plus additional CPO warranty). Long way of saying, if you didn't feel right about the deal, you were right to walk away and the right deal for YOU may be just around the corner.

I am also getting more and more into the carpe diem camp - I joke that it's my midlife crisis, but I've just decided I'm tired of waiting for "one day" or for things to be perfect. Hence the teal in my hair, the Jag, the motorcycle, etc.

I'm not sure any of that is helpful at all, and I really should probably just go get more coffee and get off the internet for a bit.

Uk2usa (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 AM

After having a couple of days to think about it, I'm wondering if it's not such a bad deal after all. If I were going to keep the car, I'd want to get the extended warranty anyway and if I decide to turn the car in at the end of the lease, I would get the balance back on the warranty. Anyone have experience with Jaguar Extended Warranties?

Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Well, never say die! I'm picking the car up Friday at noon (currently out of town for work). I can add on to the CPO warranty at any time during the term of the 7yr/100K mile CPO the car currently carries. If I decide to keep the car, I will pull the trigger. Look for some pics on Friday unless the Finance Manager tries to screw me or the deal is not structured as the Sales Manager presented.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.....we look forward to your successful completion of this most noble quest.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Topix Summary below. The only thing I wish it had was InControl. Otherwise, it's pretty well equipped.

Last edited by rexus31; 06-13-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Topix Summary below. The only thing I wish it had was InControl. Otherwise, it's pretty well equipped.
You wouldn't be missing much.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You wouldn't be missing much.
I was reading on another thread if they release an upgrade to allow voice commands, it would require InControl. That's the only reason I think I would want it.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I was reading on another thread if they release an upgrade to allow voice commands, it would require InControl. That's the only reason I think I would want it.
Don't hold your breath. To date they have released "updates" to correct flaws. I don't believe they have ever released an upgrade that enhances features on sold vehicles.

rexus31 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Interestingly, they did a major upgrade to InControl Pro on the XE and F-Pace, don't know if it's on the F-type too. Enables voice commands for Navigation, etc. Not sure if they weren't there, or just didn't work. My XE was supposed to have it, but I don't think it does.

rexus31 (06-14-2018)