F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Base or S. Sport seats and the exhaust enhance options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Considering a Base or S. Sport seats and the exhaust enhance options?

Hello Everyone!
I've been interested in an F type for about a year now but just recently started looking into an actual purchase. I've been coming here for the past several weeks and reading most of the threads to learn and have quite enjoyed many of them. Thank you all for sharing your F type experiences!

Budget constraints have me strongly debating two options and whether or not to hold out for them.

My question to you all is, how important are the sport seats and the exhaust enhance now that you've owned the car for an extended period of time? I'm sure the exhaust button is brilliant early on, but I'm wondering if its novelty wears off and if I could live without it? I know the sport seats look fantastic, but are the base seats good enough, comfortable if in the car all day? I've only been able to drive a base model locally and that was for about 30 minutes so I have little actual experience, but boy, that was a fun 30 minutes and enough to sell me on the F type for my next car.

If you didn't get either of these two options, do you regret it now that you've had the car for a while?
For those that have them, do they still make your driving experience what it was when new, or has it worn off a bit?

Sean

Old 10-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Hi. Whether you want active exhaust depends how important noise is to you. It sounds good without it, amazing with it. If I was looking at a car without it, I'd probably go to a 4 cylinder and get newer tech.

With the seats I find that they improve after maybe 5000 miles and that absorbs a fair bit of **** damage. The biggest downside to the base in my opinion is the standard suspension which is pretty hard, though they can improve with wheel and tyre choice.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

The seats are not "base" and "sport", rather the base seats are called Sport and the fancier seats are called Performance. This understandably causes some confusion!
I have both the Performance seats and the switchable active exhaust and I very much doubt I would be happy without them, IMHO the Performance seats look a million % better and they are extremely supportive and comfortable and the switchable exhaust is very handy to have - plenty of good noise when you want it, quiet (ish) when you don't. I find that with the exhaust valves open (ie in "loud" mode) it can drone just a bit on a long uphill stretch so I switch to quiet mode.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

New or used? The performance seats were completely redesigned for 2019+

Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the replies!
Thanks for the correction OzXFR, yes sport vs performance seats. I agree, the performance seats are so much nicer, but hard to find a car in my price range with them.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I prefer the sports seats, and have done many 12+ hour drives in them. No complaints.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I prefer the sports seats, and have done many 12+ hour drives in them. No complaints.
Personal fit is the important thing with seats. For me the Performance seats fit better, but that's me and my hind quarters (and back). Some complain about the Performance seat's stitched ridge down the center being uncomfortable, but that's likely dependent on upholstery. I have the suedecloth inserts.

The main reason I initially ruled out the base model wasn't for seats or exhaust, but because the base model had an open diff. To get an LSD I needed to get the S. It depends on what's important to you.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Providing the car has exhaust valves in place, then if the car you want doesn’t have the switchable exhaust button - you can install an aftermarket switch into the fuse panel for around $125usd and have switchable exhaust via a remote control. I did this on my 2014 V8S

Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
I'm sure the exhaust button is brilliant early on, but I'm wondering if its novelty wears off and if I could live without it?
If you find the novelty wears off you'd better check yourself for a pulse! The exhaust sounds are just so addictive ....
And another thing that doesn't wear off is the grin when you're driving it.

Last edited by scm; 10-09-2019 at 06:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The sports seat with the suede in the middle are great

The suede really helps grip you when you make a fast turn and such. I honestly love mine. I have a friend that has the full leather seats but they have a 2014 Ftype and it feels hard and slippery. So the base sports seats are best in my opinion

Old 10-09-2019, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Hello Everyone!
I've been interested in an F type for about a year now but just recently started looking into an actual purchase. I've been coming here for the past several weeks and reading most of the threads to learn and have quite enjoyed many of them. Thank you all for sharing your F type experiences!

Budget constraints have me strongly debating two options and whether or not to hold out for them.

My question to you all is, how important are the sport seats and the exhaust enhance now that you've owned the car for an extended period of time? I'm sure the exhaust button is brilliant early on, but I'm wondering if its novelty wears off and if I could live without it? I know the sport seats look fantastic, but are the base seats good enough, comfortable if in the car all day? I've only been able to drive a base model locally and that was for about 30 minutes so I have little actual experience, but boy, that was a fun 30 minutes and enough to sell me on the F type for my next car.

If you didn't get either of these two options, do you regret it now that you've had the car for a while?
For those that have them, do they still make your driving experience what it was when new, or has it worn off a bit?

Sean
What matters is what’s important to you. My guess is no matter what F-Type configuration you get—lucky you—NOTHING about it will “wear off.” The joys of driving one, any, far outweigh the options you speak of IMO. Are you the type of person who has regrets from time to time [re] a purchase? Especially for a big ticket item like this? If you do THEN I think I would take a bit more time to discover what options, seats, etc. truly matter to you. Ideally, in person.

Opinions can vary greatly among us with the one absolute—or as close as can be—common denominator being we love our F-Types.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:28 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I own a 2.0 2018 f type. Pretty much base convertible. With the fancier ac controls and back up assist. The active exhaust was standard.

I wanted the loud button, but did not get it. Dealer said they could not, or would not be able to install it. A half hour job to install the button and software change. Unlike the earlier cars it is not a fuse removal, I tried.

after a year of ownership I have learned to appreciate the design. It sounds fine if you use Dynamic, S. Loud enough.

the stock suspension rides fine. Better than our hd diesel truck.

Handles wonderful. 0-60 starts require the launch control to get the mid fives.

I thought I would miss the standard transmission. Had an English sports car since 72. I love the automatic.

the seats are fine.

the electronics are great compared to 1963 cars. By today’s standard they are awful.

love he car. Hate the stereo. Don’t care much. The car is a stitch to get groceries in. I take the long way home!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There is a thread discussing this very topic. Quick summary:

1. V8S or R is a way to go, unless taxes make it infeasible or you have to have a manual gearbox
2. AWD is a way to go, unless you have to have a manual gearbox
3. V6S has LSD (limited slip differential), this is the key reason to get it. If you don't track your car, you won't notice lack of LSD as traction control is quite good.
4. Depending on model year, even V6 base may have valved exhaust - you would only be missing button to control it. Exhaust without valves is always loud, it tends to drone if you drive long distances at cruise control.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

The main complaint around the performance seats is the stitching seam that runs down the middle. For some people, it's something they feel when they are sitting in them and it bothers them. I prefer the performance seats with the upper back bolstering that holds you in the seat a little better. The seats, flat bottom steering wheel and active exhaust were three of my must haves.

RickyJay52 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
If you find the novelty wears off you'd better check yourself for a pulse!
I second that, I drive 99% of the time with active exhaust in a loud mode. The only time it don't have it on is if I am coming home late and don't want to disturb immediate neighbors.

Luc Lapierre (10-09-2019)