F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a coupe and looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017 | 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
See you were thinking what will the salesman think of me. Tellin you bro, stop worrying what other blokes are thinking. His strategy is to get in your head. Here is how you get in his head, and throw him off his game, tell him you are upset because you had to beat the guy you were with last night.
ROTFALMAO

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (08-19-2017)
Old 08-18-2017 | 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by intotheblue
Your insinuations are getting old and not nearly as funny as they may sound in your head. I'm looking for that 30-70mph acceleration that's as fast and enjoyable as possible. Just that minute or 2 a day when merging onto a highway or passing slow traffic where I can really floor it and have a tiny bit of fun.

My BMW 328i with tune and exhaust is really fun in this power band even though it does a 6 second 0-60. The V6 S didn't feel any quicker from 30-50 mph, but picks up from 50-70 mph pretty noticeably. The 650i went from 30 to borderline scary in no time by comparison. I'll go to another Jag dealer tomorrow to get a better test at it.
I dunno, they are pretty funny to me.

Old 08-18-2017 | 07:47 PM

Unhingd, I'm sure you can help with this. Regarding the previous topic of ECU tunes, are there any bolt-ons I could get that don't require the tune? I saw that headers would throw up an error code without a tune. I'd love if there was a way to eek out 20-30 more HP from a V6 S that's warranty friendly.
Presuming you''re still shopping, isn't that what the V6S 400 is for? If not, is there a very friendly dealer who will give you that tune for a reasonable price?

Old 08-18-2017 | 07:59 PM
|

Originally Posted by OpenF
Presuming you''re still shopping, isn't that what the V6S 400 is for? If not, is there a very friendly dealer who will give you that tune for a reasonable price?
I'm in the market for a used model, 2016 probably so the S 400 is out of the picture. I will most definitely ask dealers if they'll be willing to do the tune. There's 4-5 dealerships within 45 mins of me. I'll also check and see if the third party extended warranties would cover a thing like that. I'd much rather choose the integrity of keeping the warranty over some more horsepower though.

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-18-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2017 | 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drbill
Damn, 60 is just ahead for me.... I hope I can still climb into my F-type!
60 is a somewhat distant memory. That's why I lowered the car: it's easier to fall into it. With an F-type, who would ever want to get back out.

Old 08-18-2017 | 09:41 PM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd
60 is a somewhat distant memory. That's why I lowered the car: it's easier to fall into it. With an F-type, who would ever want to get back out.
Do you get any rubbing with your spacers? Did you have to roll the fenders or anything?

Old 08-19-2017 | 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Do you know what Jaguar's marketing slogan was at one time. (it was at a time when boys could not wait to grow into men, it was none of the metrosexual hairbun stuff we see today. Boys wanted to compete with men and not other boys) Jaguar's slogan was- You too can be that man, for lot less than you think.

Old 08-19-2017 | 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

If you are after 30 - 70 push back in your seat stuff, the R is what you want, or if you can tolerate the old media, an XKR which is a beautiful car in its own right. I find the V6 S has far more usable power than the XKR did, so it suits me better, but it doesnt have that lunatic edge of the 5.0SC which can see wheelspin at 80kph and can be a real handful in the wet.

Old 08-19-2017 | 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Bruce,
Most marriages fail and people say they got married for the wrong reasons.
By the same token they never aknowledge how stupid they were in deciding what priorities were important.

His reasons for choosing the 650i told us that performance was not the thing he is after. Think of all the millions of things folks do and buy for speed, from a mini to a mustang- a 650i would be the absolute last thing on a hotroder's mind. For more reasons than one. Buying a 650i 2door limosine for youthful sports is as ridiculous as buying a sexdoll to raise a family.

Old 08-19-2017 | 10:32 AM
|

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
If you are after 30 - 70 push back in your seat stuff, the R is what you want, or if you can tolerate the old media, an XKR which is a beautiful car in its own right. I find the V6 S has far more usable power than the XKR did, so it suits me better, but it doesnt have that lunatic edge of the 5.0SC which can see wheelspin at 80kph and can be a real handful in the wet.
Because of the wheelspin and rowdy wet weather handling, as a daily driver I would have to get a 2016 AWD which is just more than I want to spend at this point. I only want like 40 more horsepower, not 170 more lol.

Queen and Country, the 650i xDrive (AWD) does 0-60 in 4.2-4.3 seconds, and probably has more real leather on the interior than any other car that goes that fast that I can afford. It's truly a pretty sweet ride even if it's not your cup of tea. People have recommended I consider an M4 instead, but we all know an M4 is no comparison to an F-Type in any regard, while the 650i has a lot more of the tech features that I find usable, HUD, active cruise control, etc

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-19-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2017 | 10:38 AM

Because of the wheelspin and rowdy wet weather handling, as a daily driver I would have to get a 2016 AWD which is just more than I want to spend at this point. I only want like 40 more horsepower, not 170 more lol.

Queen and Country, the 650i xDrive (AWD) does 0-60 in 4.2-4.3 seconds, and probably has more real leather on the interior than any other car that goes that fast that I can afford. It's truly a pretty sweet ride even if it's not your cup of tea.

Does the '15 R fit your budget? It is often posted that you need AWD with the R or you'll kill yourself. It's simply not true. Impressive power, and if you're not a complete fool when applying the throttle, relatively easy to modulate to minimize (or eliminate wheel spin.)

Old 08-19-2017 | 10:49 AM
|

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
Does the '15 R fit your budget? It is often posted that you need AWD with the R or you'll kill yourself. It's simply not true. Impressive power, and if you're not a complete fool when applying the throttle, relatively easy to modulate to minimize (or eliminate wheel spin.)
It's hard to say at this point since I'm hoping for another $10-14k in depreciation on these cars by the end of March (fingers crossed). But yes, the cheapest 2015 R (with Meridian Surround, and this one also happens to be CPO) is about the same price as a 2016 S with similar options, and slightly cheaper than a S AWD.

I personally prefer the look of the center exhaust of the V6, I won't let that be a deciding factor by any means, it would come down to the daily drivability.

Edit: Just read on the forum that you can just simply put the car in the snow mode for bad weather, duh, didn't think about that.

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-19-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2017 | 10:53 AM
|

I'm going to go test another V6 S today and try and abuse it. Like someone suggested earlier in the thread, I'm not going to drive a V8 and spoil myself unless I really determine the S isn't quick enough for me.

Old 08-19-2017 | 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Do you get any rubbing with your spacers? Did you have to roll the fenders or anything?
The only rubbing that has occurred with my 1.5" drop and 15mm spacers was when I went to 305 tires on the rear. My solution was to reduce the spacer thickness n the rear.

Old 08-19-2017 | 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

the 650i xDrive (AWD) does 0-60 in 4.2-4.3 seconds, and probably has more real leather on the interior than any other car that goes that fast that I can afford.
I owned an M6- worst car ever. Go look at resale values- A camry sells for more.

Here is one for you, its $14k, it does 0-60 in 4.5 that you want, AND it looks identical to the car you test drove.

Dont forget the other speed number: $114k to 14K in 75,000 miles.

2007 BMW M6 Coupe

Old 08-19-2017 | 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Look this one has it all- 500hp, 7 speed, BMW badge- immaculate condition.
$14k will do the trick
2007 BMW M6 NO RESERVE 86K DROP TOP CLEAN RARE COLOR NAV SMG | eBay

Old 08-19-2017 | 03:28 PM
|

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I owned an M6- worst car ever. Go look at resale values- A camry sells for more.

Here is one for you, its $14k, it does 0-60 in 4.5 that you want, AND it looks identical to the car you test drove.

Dont forget the other speed number: $114k to 14K in 75,000 miles.

2007 BMW M6 Coupe
I'm not considering a 2007 when I'm looking at 2014-2015, and definitely doesn't look the same at all in my opinion. I hear you on the resale value, but that's why I can get into a $100k car for $45k just 3 years later.

Anyways, off to the Jag dealer for the test drive.

Old 08-19-2017 | 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Besides being quite thoughtful...this line of thinking and a doobie could keep me entertained for hours....wow, man, that's deep.
Careful there, Hinged, most of these kids don't know what a doob is. We maybe getting out of our age group I am afraid here......

Old 08-19-2017 | 06:43 PM
|

So I test drove a V6 S convertible (only S they had on the lot). One thing I really noticed is how nice the car is to drive when just cruising the speed limit or in traffic. The comfort of the ride over bumps and rough roads is perfect to me, not sure why reviews complain about the rough ride. I brought my phone and AUX cable with me to test out the Merdian Surround, but I couldn't find the option to use the AUX input without it asking to connect to the USB as well. Is that how it has to work?

So I definitely put my foot down as often as I could this drive, from as many different speeds and RPMs that I could. I had a great time and the car is definitely quick, but I think most of the adrenaline rush is attributed to the screaming exhaust, I never felt pinned back into my seat like I was hoping (the performance seats felt and fit great by the way). If I got an S, I don't think I would ever regret getting it over an R though, since there's only a handful of moments in a commute where I can truly push the car, but the S really would benefit from the VAP ECU tune.

I'm going to continue to do some research and call up some service advisors concerning the warranty and ECU tune. I'll be closely tracking the price drop of an R in the next few months as well though.

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-19-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2017 | 08:38 PM

Why resist? You know you need the "R". Why even bother with all this "tuning" rigamarole? The "R" - right out of the box with a 5 or 6 year warranty. At least, that's what I said to SWMBO, who rolled her eyes and said "yeah...".