Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering F type lease

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 PM
zk1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering F type lease

Hi everyone, I'm considering leasing a nice car now that my commute will be a lot shorter this upcoming summer.

I know the F-type leases pretty well and that's why it's on my short list. I want to have a stress free driving experience with my car (thats why I'm going to probably lease from now on).

If I wanted AWD, do I need to step up to the F type S? with AWD is the car good in light snow? I have a beater that I'm debating on keeping for bad weather.

I am trying to find the tire specs for AWD models but can only seem to find 245/275 or similar... shouldn't AWD models have square setups? What are the specs and brand of the tire for the AWD model? I know it's a sport car so may have to get new ones during the lease, but would like them to have good life for what it is and not have to replace every 5k miles

Do the tires/fender combination make it so rock chips get all over the sides of the car, and is the paint strong in general? Would some minor chips be forgiven on turn in? I don't want to have to pay a lot of money for a clear bra when I would just return the car after... but don't want to get charged for excessive wear either. I don't tailgate or anything to cause them on front but we all know they are unavoidable sometimes

For maintenance, I know BMW includes it but I don't think jaguar does (correct if wrong?), Is maintence during lease period just oil changes?

I've seen people get the base model for under $500 and would love to get one for around there, or a type S for $5xx (not sure if possible)

Thank you for answering all of my newbie questions!

Old 02-09-2018, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

AWD available on the V6S (or whatever they're calling it these days) and the V8. The standard V6 AWD tires are 245/40-19 and 273/35-19 . on the V8 AWD they are 255/35-20 & 295/30-20. The paint is fairly good, but you will still get road rash just in front of the rear wheels on the rocker panels. Since you are leasing and don't want to coat or film protect your car, you should at least put a film on that part of the rocker panels.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:39 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

My R came with Pirelli's, which I do not like for wear or anything else. I removed them and installed Michelins. Those Michelins will last for the life of my lease and I will reinstall the Pirellis before turning the car in.

Larry

Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You are not going to be charged for excessive wear for three years of incidental stuff on the side skirts. Don't think about it that way. Think about investment in ceramic coating or clear bra simply for your own peace of mind and the ease of washing the car during the time that you have it.

All F-Types have staggered wheel sizes. In terms of tire longevity, from what owners are seeing the most important thing will be to have your alignment checked at least annually. That will maximize your tire life. I would recommend having the alignment checked even when the car is brand new. I burned a set of tires in 12K because of bad alignment.

You're not going to lease an S for $500. A new S has a $96k (USD) sticker. It's important to remember that the base model is a 4 cylinder now.

Jag includes maintenance for 5 years. Every 10k miles is included service. Most enthusiasts will pay for an oil change after the break-in period which is 2,500.

Lastly, I have an AWD and mine is excellent in the snow, but I don't think it's because of the AWD. It's because of the blizzaks I put on from Dec-Mar. You will need all season or snow tires, and with snow tires it probably wouldn't matter at all if you had AWD.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
zk1

Originally Posted by Nati
Welcome to the forum.

You are not going to be charged for excessive wear for three years of incidental stuff on the side skirts. Don't think about it that way. Think about investment in ceramic coating or clear bra simply for your own peace of mind and the ease of washing the car during the time that you have it.

All F-Types have staggered wheel sizes. In terms of tire longevity, from what owners are seeing the most important thing will be to have your alignment checked at least annually. That will maximize your tire life. I would recommend having the alignment checked even when the car is brand new. I burned a set of tires in 12K because of bad alignment.

You're not going to lease an S for $500. A new S has a $96k (USD) sticker. It's important to remember that the base model is a 4 cylinder now.

Jag includes maintenance for 5 years. Every 10k miles is included service. Most enthusiasts will pay for an oil change after the break-in period which is 2,500.

Lastly, I have an AWD and mine is excellent in the snow, but I don't think it's because of the AWD. It's because of the blizzaks I put on from Dec-Mar. You will need all season or snow tires, and with snow tires it probably wouldn't matter at all if you had AWD.

thanks to you and everyone else for the replies. That's strange I thought an AWD car would have to have the same width on all tires. Maybe I will consider a RWD base model and keep my daily. I still see they have the 340HP V6 as an option so how come that MSRP rose like $10k?

What are the factory tires on the AWD, Pirellis?

Good to know that maintenance is included. I do like to keep cars nice but it just feels strange to pay big $ for clear bra when I know I will be returning the car. I would keep it waxed and stuff as I can do that myself.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Note that the AWD implementation is essentially RWD, until it detects that it needs to send some torque to the front wheels. Best of both worlds, one would think.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by zk1
That's strange I thought an AWD car would have to have the same width on all tires. .

Width is irrelevant; AWD vehicles typically have tires that have the same (or very close) height/circumference. ie. 245/40/19's have a profile that is 40% of 245mm = 98mm and 275/35/19's have a profile that is 35% of 275mm or 96.25mm.

My Mercedes 4Matic also has wider rears

Cheers,
Dave

Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

F-type has very low front bumper and front spoiler. With anything but minimal snow this turns into a snow plow.

So better question is, would you consider plowing snow with your F-type? If you have real winter where you live, you will need a winter beater.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
Abarak (02-12-2018), Don1954 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by zk1
Hi everyone, I'm considering leasing a nice car now that my commute will be a lot shorter this upcoming summer.

I know the F-type leases pretty well and that's why it's on my short list. I want to have a stress free driving experience with my car (thats why I'm going to probably lease from now on).

If I wanted AWD, do I need to step up to the F type S? with AWD is the car good in light snow? I have a beater that I'm debating on keeping for bad weather.

I am trying to find the tire specs for AWD models but can only seem to find 245/275 or similar... shouldn't AWD models have square setups? What are the specs and brand of the tire for the AWD model? I know it's a sport car so may have to get new ones during the lease, but would like them to have good life for what it is and not have to replace every 5k miles

Do the tires/fender combination make it so rock chips get all over the sides of the car, and is the paint strong in general? Would some minor chips be forgiven on turn in? I don't want to have to pay a lot of money for a clear bra when I would just return the car after... but don't want to get charged for excessive wear either. I don't tailgate or anything to cause them on front but we all know they are unavoidable sometimes

For maintenance, I know BMW includes it but I don't think jaguar does (correct if wrong?), Is maintence during lease period just oil changes?

I've seen people get the base model for under $500 and would love to get one for around there, or a type S for $5xx (not sure if possible)

Thank you for answering all of my newbie questions!
You could always buy four of the same sized wheels so that you can put the same dimensions All-season or winter tires on all four wheels but your REAL problem is probably a disconnect of cost of the AWD version.

While it is plausible that the lower-end variants of the car may be able to be leased in the $500-$600/month price range, those vehicles have retail MSRPs starting between $59K to $79,900. AWD models start at $82,900 before you add any options so that's 40% more expensive than you are calculating for so your budget for a monthly payment will need to rise as the entry level lease for an AWD F-Type is likely to also be 40% higher so you should expect to shoot for a $700-$800/month lease.

Now, having said that there ARE ways to get a lower payment but it often requires additional cash up-front or careful planning on when to purchase. Myself and others were able to get the v8 AWD R model for less than $800/month so you could probably get an S AWD model for under $700/month but you would also need to be buying off dealer stock that has been sitting on the lot for a year or more (not uncommon BTW).

Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 PM
zk1

someone got a type S on leasehackr for $507 so anythings possible LOL
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/succe...k-506-mo/32648

but I'll probably shoot for a base model or maybe the 340HP V6 since it's not the base anymore. Have to drive both

Old 02-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zk1
someone got a type S on leasehackr for $507 so anythings possible LOL
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/succe...k-506-mo/32648

but I'll probably shoot for a base model or maybe the 340HP V6 since it's not the base anymore. Have to drive both
I've seen some of those types of posts out there before. The OP with his $450->$506->$554 appeared "less than certain" of his final deal. Not sure how that's even possible after having signed the paperwork. He stated that his doesn't have the backup camera which many of us feel is a REQUIREMENT on this car. He states he is going to retrofit the car for an aftermarket unit but how many of us want to tap wires on a leased vehicle, etc. Also, this guy bought the LAST 2017 that dealer had on their lot so it was a but of an albatross and it may well have been an RWD model. IMHO AaronG's post in that same thread of a $741/month is far more realistic

Based on the text in that thread it looks like he might have bought from Hornburg who is one of the most aggressive sellers but they are also known to do a few "odd " things like offering a car with over 5K miles on it & calling it a "demo" which was the case when I was negotiating for a SVR they had in October of '17. It seemed like a great deal for $89K but once it was revealed to have over 5K miles on it, it became obvious as to why it was so severely discounted as it was essentially a "used vehicle" at that point. Still, someone likely bought it and may think they got a killer deal so to each's own.

My point is that your initial line of thought is not uncommon but most later discover that their entry point is higher than they originally thought. Good luck and hope you are able to find one that works for you

Last edited by ndabunka; 02-10-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello!

I just found an amazing lease and pulled the trigger $399 a month!!!!! Base manual Coupe. Its VERY hard to find and I looked all over the country. Had to go across the country to pick it up but its very worth it!

Hope this helps

jeff

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG
Hello!

I just found an amazing lease and pulled the trigger $399 a month!!!!! Base manual Coupe. Its VERY hard to find and I looked all over the country. Had to go across the country to pick it up but its very worth it!

Hope this helps

jeff
Congrats. You've been looking for a while so good to hear you finally found one. Please provide all the details of money down, etc once you have it.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG
Hello!

Hope this helps

jeff
Would you care to let us know where you got this deal? Possibly more information about the car that you leased also. Thanks

Old 02-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simran Cheema
Would you care to let us know where you got this deal? Possibly more information about the car that you leased also. Thanks
Not sure what you are seeking. He already stated in prior posts that it was the "last one they had" so it was truly a "one off" so your not going to find another one from that dealer. He also hinted that the dealer was Hornburg. It's a manual and there were never very many of those but there was a gray one up in Illinois the last time I checked and they were asking $599 + $5K down for a 5K/year 39 month lease so I would expect that this one was "most likely" a demo or perhaps even an early lease turn in or it could have even been a lemon buy back that the dealership fixed.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

<div style="text-align:left;">
Originally Posted by ndabunka
Not sure what you are seeking. He already stated in prior posts that it was the "last one they had" so it was truly a "one off" so your not going to find another one from that dealer. He also hinted that the dealer was Hornburg. It's a manual and there were never very many of those but there was a gray one up in Illinois the last time I checked and they were asking $599 + $5K down for a 5K/year 39 month lease so I would expect that this one was "most likely" a demo or perhaps even an early lease turn in or it could have even been a lemon buy back that the dealership fixed.
<br /><br />these deals are possible, but hard to find. I didn't want to do the work so I used a leasing agent. I ended up with a 10 mile old manual base convertible for 448/month including NY tax, 12k miles/year and 3k down. He doesn't have any more right now, but I would check again in the march/April time frame. That seems to be the best time for a deal.<br /><br />i wasn't even looking at an ftype, but the deal fell in my lap. Instead of a loaded ghibli qs4, i got an ftype and a6 (decently optioned) for less. Caveat is I drive 20k/year and was getting killed on the ghibli as a result. </div>

Last edited by caviarjag; 02-13-2018 at 10:01 AM.