F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Pre-Owned F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJS,

I'm in Chelsea Mi, working in A2. I am starting a 2 year telecommute from Illinois where I'll be moving back (family) at the end of this month. I was going to head to the Novi dealership to check out an F-Type up close and personal maybe after work today.

Apollo,

That is awesome and very generous of you, but I don't want to rely on you unless I'm absolutely certain this is the car, and of course the price would have to be what I'm willing to pay. I'd hate to have you run out there for nothing. Now if you're bored and just looking for a reason to hop in and take a road trip, that is entirely your call.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by madisonart
DJS,

I'm in Chelsea Mi, working in A2. I am starting a 2 year telecommute from Illinois where I'll be moving back (family) at the end of this month. I was going to head to the Novi dealership to check out an F-Type up close and personal maybe after work today.

Apollo,

That is awesome and very generous of you, but I don't want to rely on you unless I'm absolutely certain this is the car, and of course the price would have to be what I'm willing to pay. I'd hate to have you run out there for nothing. Now if you're bored and just looking for a reason to hop in and take a road trip, that is entirely your call.
My pleasure to help you out. Just let me know once you are close to a decision and want me to inspect this particular car.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

My biggest "advice" is to make sure you recognize that the F-Type is not an outright performance car. Jag has put "theater" and style above performance. The F-Type won't win any comparisons against Caymans, 911, Lotus, Corvettes, etc. because its chassis, traction, etc. are not on par. This is reflected in lap times. But if you are OK with it being "slower" and not as track/race oriented, then the car is an absolute blast to drive.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
My biggest "advice" is to make sure you recognize that the F-Type is not an outright performance car. Jag has put "theater" and style above performance. The F-Type won't win any comparisons against Caymans, 911, Lotus, Corvettes, etc. because its chassis, traction, etc. are not on par. This is reflected in lap times. But if you are OK with it being "slower" and not as track/race oriented, then the car is an absolute blast to drive.
Well that's not entirely true. The lap times (Laguna Seca) of the V8 F-types are quicker than the Cayman R, Cayman S, and the Evora S. Corvettes and 911s are a bit quicker, but the F-Type is certainly no slouch on the track.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

Last edited by Foosh; 03-13-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Reference Added
Old 03-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Well that's not entirely true. The lap times (Laguna Seca) of the V8 F-types are quicker than the Cayman R, Cayman S, and the Evora S. Corvettes and 911s are a bit quicker, but the F-Type is certainly no slouch on the track.
I'm not saying the F-Type is a slouch or isn't performance oriented. But in relative comparisons, it'll always lose. Too much weight, chassis isn't as well balanced, etc. For comparable HP cars this reflects in slower lap times. Against Caymans, etc., it's not really fair since one is 500+ hp. Because of the weight/chassis, it requires 500+hp to run the same times. Bottom line, buy the car, be happy. But don't be disappointed when it "loses" head-2-head battles against Caymans, 911, C7s, etc. because those reviews will always point out the F-Type's weakness in the weight/chassis components.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

It may lose on a track... but it will both look and sound better doing it.

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BierNut
It may lose on a track... but it will both look and sound better doing it.
Exactly, why I left the Porsche world (previous Cayman and 911 guy). The F-Type has been much, much more fun. It's relatively rare, it sounds amazing, has gorgeous looks. After 6 months in a 2013 911/991 I was completely bored with the car and hardly drove it. After 6 months in the F-Type I still look forward to hearing the amazing exhaust and driving it every chance I get.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM

I loved driving my Elise, but I didn't get beyond a few spirited drives on lazy Sunday mornings on some twisty two laners. I wanted to autocross and maybe take it out to the track but it just wasn't in the cards during the time I had it.

The Elise was raw and all driver IMO. Small, spartan, noisy, rattles, vibrations all came with the lightness and power to weight. Worth it!, but sometimes it was frustrating. I drove an Evora S once and loved it, it seemed plush compared to my Elise but no open top.

Tracking isn't my goal, but having a unique head turning street ride that may one day hit the track or autocross as a 2nd priority is what I'm looking for. I definitely was in a class all alone in my town with my Elise, there wasn't another at least that was DD. I think an F-Type would fit my style, but I can't believe they made this car without a manual option.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

I loved driving my Elise, but I didn't get beyond a few spirited drives on lazy Sunday mornings on some twisty two laners. I wanted to autocross and maybe take it out to the track but it just wasn't in the cards during the time I had it.

The Elise was raw and all driver IMO. Small, spartan, noisy, rattles, vibrations all came with the lightness and power to weight. Worth it!, but sometimes it was frustrating. I drove an Evora S once and loved it, it seemed plush compared to my Elise but no open top.

Tracking isn't my goal, but having a unique head turning street ride that may one day hit the track or autocross as a 2nd priority is what I'm looking for. I definitely was in a class all alone in my town with my Elise, there wasn't another at least that was DD. I think an F-Type would fit my style, but I can't believe they made this car without a manual option.
2016 models have optional 6-speed...

Old 03-13-2015, 01:46 PM

Why did you have to tell me that!

What is the price point on a 2016? 100k?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:48 PM

I think the 2016 is comparable in pricing. There is a 2016 Pricing thread with prices near the end of the thread.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing it's very comparable to the 2015. Went up a little, but they also included some options as standard. V6 probably starts in the 70s/80s, V8s 110k MSRP should get you fully loaded. BUT 6-speed not avail in the V8s...

Old 03-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

If you factor in the fact that things that were optional on 14-15s are now standard on 16s, the price didn't really go up. That's assuming you include the price of the same options on the 14-15s. The only exception is the V8s which are now only AWD in the U.S, and even then the increase was pretty minimal.

That's good news if you want a heavily optioned car. It's bad news for someone like me who wanted it as light and stripped as possible, and I'm happy I bought when I did.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:07 PM

I drove over to the Novi Jaguar dealership after work. I must look like a broke MF'er or something.. I was inside the small show room for 10 minutes, sat inside a IRR V6, walked around it, walked around again, grabbed a book about it, looked at it again and it wasn't until I went over to the 107K V8 Coupe that someone finally looked over and said hello.

The V6 in IRR had the normal seats, which were comfortable, but the coup had the upgrade with contrast stitching. The IRR looked fantastic, it had the 20" Tornado Wheels and black pack.

Finally a lady came over to talk to me, who was new to the dealership.
These are very nice automobiles. She told me they even have lease options on these things!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I drove over to the Novi Jaguar dealership after work. I must look like a broke MF'er or something.. I was inside the small show room for 10 minutes, sat inside a IRR V6, walked around it, walked around again, grabbed a book about it, looked at it again and it wasn't until I went over to the 107K V8 Coupe that someone finally looked over and said hello.

The V6 in IRR had the normal seats, which were comfortable, but the coup had the upgrade with contrast stitching. The IRR looked fantastic, it had the 20" Tornado Wheels and black pack.

These are very nice automobiles. She told me they even have lease options on these things!
That is pretty stupid. I remember once when I was about 19 I was in a dealership that happened to also have the only Ferrari dealership in town, I wandered across to have a look and instantly a guy (who turned out later to be the owner) came over, opened the door and invited me to sit in it and asked what I was interested in. I said to the guy don't waste you time I am just a tyre kicker (which he must have known by the look of me). And he said, you might win the lottery next week and he told me all about the car.
I have never been in the market for a Ferrari, but you can bet that if at any time in the intervening years I had been I would Have been straight in to see him.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:36 AM

Yes, they are nice looking and fantastic driving cars.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my 2014 v6s used with 5gs on it, it now has 15gs on the ticker. Been to the track and there was one that legitimately passed me on road course, everything else kept close but kept in my rear view, vettes, porches, ftype v8, mustangs....on the road I enjoy it with the top down and the music just above annoying until I get to a stop then I turn it down, so as not to annoy anyone...used, we take a chance, but the majority of who test drive this car punch it initially to see what it feels like, so that's where the engine takes a beating, but I'm petting my kitty now, letting her growl but not bite...lol...hope to have her for a good long time....good luck with your search and many miles to come...

Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Used F-Type-S Price Point

FWIW, I bought a 2014 Type-S with 10K miles in Jan for $67k. Original sticker was a bit over $89k. Very pleased with the car. First proper successor to my E-Type 1-1/2 roadster.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone who dropped in some feedback here on this thread. I had a chance to test drive a V6S F-Type yesterday and after that experience I don't think I will be buying one.

I didn't at all care for the automatic or the manual shift feature it has. There were some other things that just didn't feel right for me but overall great car, that really looks fantastic. I think I'm just too much of a Lotus guy. I may examine a manual if I have not purchased something by then.

Cheers!

Madison

Old 03-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I didn't at all care for the automatic or the manual shift feature it has.
+1. In my case, waiting 8-9 mos. for the 6 speed has been/will be agonizing.

Quick Reply: Considering Pre-Owned F-Type