F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering purchase but.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering purchase but.....

First post here. My wife has been drooling over the F-type since it came out and we are now looking for a new car and the time may be right to pull the trigger on an F-type. We stopped by a dealership on Saturday afternoon to look around and kick some tires. While chatting with the sales person, she said a couple of things that concerned me.

First, the car is on regular tires, not run flats. Not so bad until you consider that the car does not have a spare, even a donut to get you somewhere safe. When I asked about this the sales persons response was that if you get a flat, you call Jaguar and they send someone out. I fully understand that there is a performance difference and ride quality difference between run flats and non run flats, and that there are space constraints to deal with when providing a spare and jack.

The second thing was the warranty, they advertise a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty on the car. Now, this is a NEW car, not a trade in. Because Jaguar considered the car "new" back in November, there is no longer a 6 year warranty from the date of purchase. The warranty period started back in November.

For a car that is pushing $100,000 I would expect the full warranty and not to be stranded on the side of the road if I get a flat! Am I asking too much????

Old 09-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

there is a can of tire patch and jaguar roadside assistance can get you towed safely to a dealer quickly if needed. the roadside assistance is the best of any of the brands that i have used - they constantly call to check to make sure everything is okay and are safe.
there is an option for a spare but it will literally take up all the storage space.

if what you're looking at is a punched car the warranty would start on the date they punched it for service. cars like this will receive a pretty big discount. i would expect to be in the 20% off MSRP range.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

The no spare, tire goo is a sign of the times. Hard to get used to but when was the last time you had a flat? My only flats in the past 20 years have been parked in my driveway, a result of undetected roofing nails, easy to address.
Having had one car with runflats, I would rather have regular tires and no spare.
Larry

The following users liked this post:
GPA9504 (10-04-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

On the tire issue; yes, you are overthinking it. you get some goop to get you going if it's a simple flat. It would be impossible to put a decent spare in an F type, the "donut" spares would take up too much room and run flats have their own issues. The only flats I've ever had in the last 32 years have been offroad or jobsite debris....neither would be something I'd see with the F type. I don't think it's a concern that has much risk attached to it myself.

On the warranty; either the warranty (in service) period starts when you buy the car or it's a used car/demo....which should have a significant discount as Shaun said.....one or the other; they can't have their cake and eat it too.

Dave

Old 09-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to the car I looked at.

New Jaguar for Sale in St. Petersburg near Clearwater & Tampa

I am still having a hard time with the tire issue. I also have a 2012 corvette that is modded to over 700 rwhp. For street driving, it's on run flats (Bridgestone Potenza's). As long as I behave myself, it's just fine. I have another wheel/tire set up for the track.

The dealer did portray this car to me as "new". Maybe some shenanigans going on about the car's history. It had 300 (and change) miles on it.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Well maybe. 6 years - 100,000 miles is a lot longer than most of us first got (5yrs - 60k or 4yrs - 50k). Also, my AAA card and cell phone have served well as a spare tire and jack for the past 20 years. Jag provides the compressor/goop kit for non-catastrophic tire failure (tread punctures, etc.)

Old 09-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Having had one car with runflats, I would rather have regular tires and no spare.
Larry
+1.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I purchased my Jaguar at that dealership (Crown Jaguar). And I don't live in Florida!

Great dealer and good people there. Especially liked working with the sales rep D. Made it worth flying to FL and driving the F home.

I would agree...you're overthinking it on the spare. Most cars of this caliber and size do not come with full size spares or donuts. It's a space and weight consideration. As others have noted, when was the last time you got a flat, and could a can of goop get you to some place safe? Also, haven't met anyone who really liked run flats due to their ride quality, or the fact that you're supposed to replace them all when you get a flat (at least on the BMW X5 that a friend has experience with).

As for the warranty. Dealers sometimes do this to count the car as sold, which starts the clock ticking on the warranty, although it was never actually sold, as is still new. As such, they will offer larger discounts. I would think you might be getting a pretty decent $ off of MSRP because of this. Might also have something to do with the 300 miles. My F-Type was new, but also had some miles on it, thus I got a good deal. Sometimes a dealership employee will drive the car as their own demo, and it's still considered a new car. Not sure what your situation is, just throwing out there some ideas.

Good luck with your purchase. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the F-Type or the dealership.

Last edited by 2015Coupe; 09-07-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
they advertise a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty
who is they?

That is not Jag's warranty on this car. The Mfr offer is 5 yrs 60k.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
Here is a link to the car I looked at.

New Jaguar for Sale in St. Petersburg near Clearwater & Tampa

I am still having a hard time with the tire issue. I also have a 2012 corvette that is modded to over 700 rwhp. For street driving, it's on run flats (Bridgestone Potenza's). As long as I behave myself, it's just fine. I have another wheel/tire set up for the track.

The dealer did portray this car to me as "new". Maybe some shenanigans going on about the car's history. It had 300 (and change) miles on it.
Which car? There is a whole list of them.....