F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Purchasing A 2016-2017-2018 F-Type - Reliable Enough To Be Trusted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
the raptor is awesome, little secret I will share first on this forum.. 2022 Bronco Raptor and 2022 GT500 ordered!
That is great! Next order better be a 6 car garage! Ha-ha Congrats.

They are also coming out with a new F-150 Raptor R ~ 750 HP V8 Version...5.2L Predator engine allegedly?

DC

Old 02-22-2022, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I don't understand all the complaints about the satnav, unless it's a non-UK thing. I've had satnav in three Jags so far and all have got me to where I wanted to go with a minimum of fuss and excellent directions. If there are lots of new road building in your vicinity (or where you want to go) I guess you might expect issues, but for me, I've never had problems with it.
The '16MY sat nav over here hasnt been updated since about 2015 from memory, and apparently never will be as the update didnt work with JLR cars. I am frequently driving under rivers or in forests (according to the nav).

The only way to update our Oz sat nav (for 2016/7 owners) is to buy a new car.

But even when you strike gold and it knows where you are going, it wont give you business addresses and seems intent on taking the longest route possible. The newer system in my wife's 2019 build XE (incontrol touch duo, with the 10 inch screen) has newer maps, but isnt very easy to use. Android mirroring would be better, but you need a cable to tether and who could be bothered doing that?

Oddly enough the ford system in our 2019 Mustang (a vastly inferior car in nearly every respect) ***** on the 2016 and the 2019 Jag systems.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:54 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Setting aside oil changes, the tire shop sees more of my F-Type than the dealership has across the 75K miles I have put onto my V6S.

The only true issue I have had was the clutch...followed by the second clutch, which likely could be traced to not replacing everything in the beginning when they did the first clutch. Unfortunately, a flash done in that first trip also nuked some of the snaps, crackles and pops...

And yes...you read that right. I've logged more than 75K miles since it was trailered to me in early November 2017 with ~300 miles showing on the clock.

The following users liked this post:
datriani (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Setting aside oil changes, the tire shop sees more of my F-Type than the dealership has across the 75K miles I have put onto my V6S.

The only true issue I have had was the clutch...followed by the second clutch, which likely could be traced to not replacing everything in the beginning when they did the first clutch. Unfortunately, a flash done in that first trip also nuked some of the snaps, crackles and pops...

And yes...you read that right. I've logged more than 75K miles since it was trailered to me in early November 2017 with ~300 miles showing on the clock.
Good for you! It is a car...Glad you are DRIVING it.

DC

mbelanger (03-01-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Chiming in, my 2010 XKR will pass 200,000 miles sometime in March. In the 9 years I've owned it with the 5.0L engine, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. And that's the same engine as the F-type R. I've had it pulley and tuned, have tracked it dozens of times, drive it everyday, and still love it. A few words of wisdom, change oil frequently and check oil religiously. Check coolant levels just as often, and make sure you have a fully charged battery at all times, and you'll have a very happy ownership experience. I've been driving for 53 years, and I will never have owned a finer automobile!

The following 3 users liked this post by tberg:
BruceTheQuail (02-22-2022), jcb-memphis (07-14-2024), sov211 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 08:26 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

I read this thread when looking at how reliable I could expect an F Type to be. My take away was that the "known issues" discussion seemed to reflect a car with no major reliability problems other than the manual transmission clutch and differential issues. And I bought an MT 6 anyway. My 9 months and 9,000 miles so far have been trouble free, but too short a time for my actual experience to be a useful indicator.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...issues-105493/

Old 02-22-2022, 09:11 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
That is great! Next order better be a 6 car garage! Ha-ha Congrats.

They are also coming out with a new F-150 Raptor R ~ 750 HP V8 Version...5.2L Predator engine allegedly?

DC
Next up in the pipeline is the Ranger Raptor, which will first be available in Australia and South Africa but will eventually be released in the States.

Therock88 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tberg
Chiming in, my 2010 XKR will pass 200,000 miles sometime in March. In the 9 years I've owned it with the 5.0L engine, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. And that's the same engine as the F-type R. I've had it pulley and tuned, have tracked it dozens of times, drive it everyday, and still love it. A few words of wisdom, change oil frequently and check oil religiously. Check coolant levels just as often, and make sure you have a fully charged battery at all times, and you'll have a very happy ownership experience. I've been driving for 53 years, and I will never have owned a finer automobile!
Thanks. Great info to have going forward!

tberg (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 08:46 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

The F type is reliable enough for there to be a cult following but as with any used car, after a certain point, reliability is more dependent on the previous owner(s) usage and maintenance. See what history you can pull up on that specific car you’re considering.

Mr. Rock nailed it as usually. If you buy a performance car and drive it as such, plan to do performance based maintenance to keep it running properly…. More often oil changes, tire changes, alignments, adjustments and driving it regularly to keep the parts lubricated and from becoming stale.

There’s always the possibility of a lemon but a quick history check/carfax should help you identify that.

Therock88 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by datriani
reliability is more dependent on the previous owner(s) usage and maintenance. .
100% correct for cars of this age

mbelanger (02-25-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:04 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

JD Power can tell us all they want about how reliable Jaguars are but the question we should really be asking is, how reliable is JD Power?
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...study-feature/

Last edited by Lani Kai; 02-27-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
JP Power can tell us all they want about how reliable Jaguars are but the question we should really be asking is, how reliable is JD Power?
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...study-feature/

The answer is is, not very reliable - precisely because there is no differentiation in their ratings between a suspension squeak and a catastrophic transmission failure. And many complaints occur simply because owners do not read the owner’s manual! The poor rating that Jaguar has had in recent years has been fueled by issues that have nothing whatever to do with essence of an automobile. How many complaints do we read on this forum about the infotainment system? Many. What does the slowness of the entertainment system have to do with the character of the F-Type? For so many of us, absolutely nothing. There is an expectation among many these days that an automobile should be a mobile ipad. That is not what a sports car is about, but it fits the appliance named Tesla perfectly.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Mbourne (02-27-2022), scm (02-27-2022)
Old 04-15-2023, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My F type experiences

[QUOTE=GranTurismo01;2499372]As the title says, I am seriously considering purchasing a 2016-17-18 F-Type. There is, in fact, a car I've come across that I may very well purchase shortly. Almost certainly an F=Type R, or possibly an F-Type R Dynamic.
I have seen some commentary in the forums here with owners reporting positively about reliability. However, I just came across this, from Car and Driver's review, no less, which concerns me "The 2018 Jaguar F-Type gets an abysmal predicted reliability rating of two out of five from J.D. Power. That's the lowest possible score. By comparison, the 2018 Porsche 911 gets a five out of five."

I absolutely love the look of the F-Type's and have wanted one since the first time I saw one. Please tell me that I can expect at least reasonable reliability. Thanks for your thoughts, expertise and advice.
[/QUOTE

I recently purchased a 2016 F type R with 35,000 miles on it.
what a beautiful car! Within 7 miles of leaving the dealership the check engine light came on.
I took it back to the dealership and had them
deal with it. Turns out it was a bad o2 sensor and a blown catalytic converter. 6k and 2 weeks later I got my car back. I noticed a flutter in the front end , Jaguar assured me nothing was wrong with the suspension so o took it to the tire shop, all the wheels were bent. I had them straightened. The car was smooth after that. I noticed some steam coming from the engine , it didn’t smell
like coolant so I thought it was just ground water that splashed onto the engine. The low coolant light came on, oh no ! Back to Jaguar. It turns out the crossover coolant tube was bad and the water pump was blown. I had them check out the rest of the car. The rear diff was leaking and the rear sway bar links were broken. The sos system failed as well. So another 9 k in repairs. I have put 300 miles on the car mostly driving back and forth for car repairs. We’re up to 18k
in repairs so far. Fortunately I bought a warranty so some of it was covered. They deemed most of it pre-existing. So I had to battle with the used car dealership to cover some of the repairs. The parts from Jaguar are on back order. The dealer has had the car for 5 weeks. Thankfully this is just a pleasure vehicle. I own an e type series 1 so I’m hoping I don’t have to sell this car and get a Porsche !

Old 04-15-2023, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

That’s quite a history, a sad one. But there are indications that the previous owner might, just might have been a bit neglectful. The O2 sensor is a fairly frequent item, but you should be aware that these are warranted for 15 years (including installation)…and could the catalytic converter failure be related? Could the CEL have been on before you got the car(and turned off but ignored)? All wheels bent ? Hmmm….that is a driver issue…are they aftermarket wheels? Rear sway bar links broken…what sort of use did the car have before you purchase (a rhetorical question…).

The coolant pipes (first generation) are known as a possible failure point, and differential seeping is also a known issue.
You have pretty much found all the failure points but eventually you might want to replace the upper and lower coolant pipes with aluminum.
Once all of this is behind you, you’ll really be able to enjoy your beautiful beast.

Last edited by sov211; 04-15-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:44 AM
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=Leaks oil;2633096]
Originally Posted by GranTurismo01
As the title says, I am seriously considering purchasing a 2016-17-18 F-Type. There is, in fact, a car I've come across that I may very well purchase shortly. Almost certainly an F=Type R, or possibly an F-Type R Dynamic.
I have seen some commentary in the forums here with owners reporting positively about reliability. However, I just came across this, from Car and Driver's review, no less, which concerns me "The 2018 Jaguar F-Type gets an abysmal predicted reliability rating of two out of five from J.D. Power. That's the lowest possible score. By comparison, the 2018 Porsche 911 gets a five out of five."

I absolutely love the look of the F-Type's and have wanted one since the first time I saw one. Please tell me that I can expect at least reasonable reliability. Thanks for your thoughts, expertise and advice.
[/QUOTE

I recently purchased a 2016 F type R with 35,000 miles on it.
what a beautiful car! Within 7 miles of leaving the dealership the check engine light came on.
I took it back to the dealership and had them
deal with it. Turns out it was a bad o2 sensor and a blown catalytic converter. 6k and 2 weeks later I got my car back. I noticed a flutter in the front end , Jaguar assured me nothing was wrong with the suspension so o took it to the tire shop, all the wheels were bent. I had them straightened. The car was smooth after that. I noticed some steam coming from the engine , it didn’t smell
like coolant so I thought it was just ground water that splashed onto the engine. The low coolant light came on, oh no ! Back to Jaguar. It turns out the crossover coolant tube was bad and the water pump was blown. I had them check out the rest of the car. The rear diff was leaking and the rear sway bar links were broken. The sos system failed as well. So another 9 k in repairs. I have put 300 miles on the car mostly driving back and forth for car repairs. We’re up to 18k
in repairs so far. Fortunately I bought a warranty so some of it was covered. They deemed most of it pre-existing. So I had to battle with the used car dealership to cover some of the repairs. The parts from Jaguar are on back order. The dealer has had the car for 5 weeks. Thankfully this is just a pleasure vehicle. I own an e type series 1 so I’m hoping I don’t have to sell this car and get a Porsche !
As sov said, you basically have covered all of the weak points. Probably good to go now. It pays to have a car really looked over by an independent shop if you don't know enough to do it yourself. Is the rear diff seeping? Sniff everywhere for very light coolant smell, sign of potential problems. O2 sensors and cats, they just go, bad luck, hard to see it coming. BTW those prices you quoted for repairs are insane, should not be that high, but doesn't matter since it was covered. Read around on here about the car's weak points (every complex/high end car has them) - you are probably good as long as the car hasn't been overheated (i.e. when you went low on coolant or prior) and thr mechanics did their job right.
enjoy it!

Old 04-17-2023, 05:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GranTurismo01
As the title says, I am seriously considering purchasing a 2016-17-18 F-Type. There is, in fact, a car I've come across that I may very well purchase shortly. Almost certainly an F=Type R, or possibly an F-Type R Dynamic.

I had the same concern coming from the LSX modern American muscle world…being spoiled with stout engines/transmissions.

I purchased mine as a daily driver and have no issues so far.

the primary 3 weak points on these are the cooling system piping, rear diff, and injectors it seems like. The engine is reliable and transmission is the universally loved ZF8.

but with pro active maintenance and common sense you will be treated with a pretty reliable beast. Outside of the corvette, I can’t think of a better value in the used sports car world considering how badly the Ftypes depreciate once it leaves the dealership.

Last edited by BlackPanther23; 04-17-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:23 AM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

2016 is AWD. I have one with 26,000 miles (I became the 2nd owner at ~8500 miles). It has been very reliable. I had 1 Catalytic and 1 injector replaced under warranty at the 3 year mark. At my last warranty free oil change (5 year mark), they replaced the battery (no charge - no symptoms), drained and weighed the coolant - then topped it back off (no charge) - all 'sticky' interior plastic pieces replaced (no charge).

I believe it's safe to assume my plastic coolant pipes will need replacement before too long (crappy design) - fortunately there are aluminum ones out there. The parts are reasonable, labor a bit extensive from what I understand.

I have the VAP pulley/tune with no issues other than a lot more torque! I've driven mine 4 different track events (3 before tune, 1 after). Even on stock Pagid pads it performs admirably. It's a wonderful car - I plan on keeping it for a long time (my wife and I were just talking that very topic the other day). This is the first non American sports car we've ever owned. I like it because they are not commonplace like other performance cars. Too funny some dude in a later model 5.0 Mustang wanted to play the other day and we dusted him!

Last edited by inmanlanier; 04-22-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 04:11 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts

Do the Pagid pads only come in the fronts?? That's all I found online... do you get much brake dust with them?

Old 04-22-2023, 06:41 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Do the Pagid pads only come in the fronts?? That's all I found online... do you get much brake dust with them?
When I say Pagid's I'm referring to to the OEM (as delivered) pads. I am led to believe they make them. Yes, they are a bit dusty. I have a set of R4S Porterfields that one day I'll install. I've just not yet had the need.

Old 04-23-2023, 02:54 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
The '16MY sat nav over here hasnt been updated since about 2015 from memory, and apparently never will be as the update didnt work with JLR cars. I am frequently driving under rivers or in forests (according to the nav).

The only way to update our Oz sat nav (for 2016/7 owners) is to buy a new car.

But even when you strike gold and it knows where you are going, it wont give you business addresses and seems intent on taking the longest route possible. The newer system in my wife's 2019 build XE (incontrol touch duo, with the 10 inch screen) has newer maps, but isnt very easy to use. Android mirroring would be better, but you need a cable to tether and who could be bothered doing that?

Oddly enough the ford system in our 2019 Mustang (a vastly inferior car in nearly every respect) ***** on the 2016 and the 2019 Jag systems.

Note, I have a Bosch based nav system...got a UAD carplay/android auto unit and it does nave via my iphone...trafic/weather/text/etc. Wirelessly. A definite thing to do...brings car up to 2023 tech level...

Just FYI. Bruce is right, but there is a solution.

BruceTheQuail (04-23-2023)