Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Keep XKR Or Upgrade To V6S
V6S
80.00%
XKR
20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Considering Selling My 2004 XKR Portfolio Convertible For F-Type V6 Convertible ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023 | 12:49 AM
|
Default Considering Selling My 2004 XKR Portfolio Convertible For F-Type V6S Convertible ?

Hey guys Im am debating selling my 2004 XKR Portfolio Convertible With Only 22k Miles for a 2015 F Type V6S convertible with 21k Miles. I can get about 33k for my XKR and put another 3k with it to pick up the 2015 F-Type for 36k. I owned the XKR for about 8 years put only 7k miles on it bought it for about 20k back in 2016 added Adamesh exhaust which is phenominal. But ever since the F-Type came on the scene I always wanted an F-Type even though I love the XKR. Seen one in summer 2014 and the exhaust was outta this world. t I test drove the F-Type V6S Convertible back in 2016 and the exhaust the speed and responsiveness was on another level the car is just on go all the time its hard to explain. The XKR is a beast and a classic when I bought it I intended on keeping it but its hard to pass up an opportunity for an F-Type. I been driving XKRs X100 for almost 15+ years I owned several and the portfolio has been the last and my ultimate XKR. But the F-Type has been calling me for years telling me its time to move on but the XKR has been one of my favorite Jags of all time for the appeal, looks, and classic styling. I don't know what my decision is going to be but I may be moving on to the F-Type V6S Convertible soon its been a car that I really been wanting and given the fact that my XKR is almost 20 years old and I been driving in X100 XKRs for almost 15+ years it maybe time to elevate to F-Type. What you guys think ?

Last edited by XKRV6S; 07-30-2023 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Title error
The following users liked this post:
bk000 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023 | 02:59 AM
Veteran Member

I love that model XKR, I think it is going to age the best out of all of the post e type jags as it is just a beautiful shape. And the XKR with the 4.2 supercharged engine had a nicer soundtrack IMO, the smaller bore v8 had a lovely throbby note especially with a little work (I had a paramount back end on mine).

The F Type will be quicker, the gearbox is light years ahead, the steering is fantastically sharper, and the infotainment is much better. You lose a bit of comfort and no room for shopping in the back seat, but the driving experience is dialled up double and then some. The sound from the 6 isnt as good as the 4.2 8, but that can be modded as well. While it isnt as classically beautiful as the XKR, it is a very sexy car.

I'd like to have both, but if I had to pick it would be the F Type as it is am improved drive. I've had mine 7 years - 3 times as long as I usually own a car - and I figure I will keep it for several more.

The following users liked this post:
uncheel (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023 | 03:58 AM
scm
Veteran Member

BruceTheQuail has perfectly summed up my experience of going from a 2010 XKR to my F-Type. I had the XKR for 5 years and have had the F-Type since 2018. And it still puts a grin on my face every time I start it up. Go on, you know you want to!

Old 07-30-2023 | 03:58 PM
|

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I love that model XKR, I think it is going to age the best out of all of the post e type jags as it is just a beautiful shape. And the XKR with the 4.2 supercharged engine had a nicer soundtrack IMO, the smaller bore v8 had a lovely throbby note especially with a little work (I had a paramount back end on mine).

The F Type will be quicker, the gearbox is light years ahead, the steering is fantastically sharper, and the infotainment is much better. You lose a bit of comfort and no room for shopping in the back seat, but the driving experience is dialled up double and then some. The sound from the 6 isnt as good as the 4.2 8, but that can be modded as well. While it isnt as classically beautiful as the XKR, it is a very sexy car.

I'd like to have both, but if I had to pick it would be the F Type as it is am improved drive. I've had mine 7 years - 3 times as long as I usually own a car - and I figure I will keep it for several more.
You summed it up yeah the XKR does turn heads and is gorgeous but its something about the F-Type its hard to explain. The only thing is hard is that the XKR may become the next big e-type like collector car Jag in years to come then I probably regret selling it. This is difficult decision otherwise I might just keep XKR and purchase an F-Type V6s Convertible when prices come to around 20K for 14-15 models which maybe in the next 2-3 years.

Old 07-30-2023 | 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by XKRV6S
You summed it up yeah the XKR does turn heads and is gorgeous but its something about the F-Type its hard to explain. The only thing is hard is that the XKR may become the next big e-type like collector car Jag in years to come then I probably regret selling it. This is difficult decision otherwise I might just keep XKR and purchase an F-Type V6s Convertible when prices come to around 20K for 14-15 models which maybe in the next 2-3 years.
Being in the car business your dreaming if you think a low mileage f type s will be anywhere around 20k in 2-3years. With production halting and low mileage being scarce ..won't happen. The avg mileage in 2-3 years will be 80k plus...and now your dealing with condition issues, maintenance history, accidents, clean car fax. Etc. Might as well get one now while your xkr is benefiting with low miles and you can still find a f type with low miles. In 4-5 years your XKR won't be near what its worth now for multiple reasons. And financing for people will be impossible.

Old 07-30-2023 | 06:38 PM
|

Originally Posted by 2009 XF Vail
Being in the car business your dreaming if you think a low mileage f type s will be anywhere around 20k in 2-3years. With production halting and low mileage being scarce ..won't happen. The avg mileage in 2-3 years will be 80k plus...and now your dealing with condition issues, maintenance history, accidents, clean car fax. Etc. Might as well get one now while your xkr is benefiting with low miles and you can still find a f type with low miles. In 4-5 years your XKR won't be near what its worth now for multiple reasons. And financing for people will be impossible.
I been buying Jags for the past 16 years and every single one has been low mileage under 42k miles and as low as 15k miles which is my current 2004 portfolio only 100 made worldwide in that color purchased for around 20k in 2016 mind you it had a sticker of over 96k. So with that being said it's not far fetched to pick up a 14-15 V6S convertible with under 50k miles for around 20k or under in the next 2-3 years. By then they will be 10-12 years old the earliest models. I always bought my cars when they lose 85-90 percent value with the only exception was the low mileage 2004 Xkr portfolio edition bc it was a rare Jag so I went ahead and spent the 20k just for that reason alone. Patience is key when buying these cars I owned plenty of them and sold them for a lil bit more that what I paid.

Old 07-30-2023 | 07:08 PM

I been buying Jags for the past 16 years and every single one has been low mileage under 42k miles and as low as 15k miles which is my current 2004 portfolio only 100 made worldwide in that color purchased for around 20k in 2016 mind you it had a sticker of over 96k. So with that being said it's not far fetched to pick up a 14-15 V6S convertible with under 50k miles for around 20k or under in the next 2-3 years. By then they will be 10-12 years old the earliest models. I always bought my cars when they lose 85-90 percent value with the only exception was the low mileage 2004 Xkr portfolio edition bc it was a rare Jag so I went ahead and spent the 20k just for that reason alone. Patience is key when buying these cars I owned plenty of them and sold them for a lil bit more that what I paid.
Best of luck. I have been a exotic dealer for 24 years. And your car won't be low miles any more and will probably be worth 10k. The car market now is 100% than just 2 yrs ago.

plus buying a 20k car and a 50k car is two completely different animals. Your car could be classified as a antique by then.

But best of luck. Sounds like you know the secret.

Last edited by 2009 XF Vail; 07-30-2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2023 | 09:22 PM

"Do that which brings you joy"

Old 07-30-2023 | 11:35 PM
|

Originally Posted by 2009 XF Vail
Best of luck. I have been a exotic dealer for 24 years. And your car won't be low miles any more and will probably be worth 10k. The car market now is 100% than just 2 yrs ago.

plus buying a 20k car and a 50k car is two completely different animals. Your car could be classified as a antique by then.

But best of luck. Sounds like you know the secret.
I always been buying these cars private party ever since I learned about the dealer finesse and been purchasing clean cars below wholesale for what they sell for at dealer Manheim auctions. I been doing this for years and I'm a hobbyist who enjoys cars but not willing to pay more than MMR wholesale. So I been successful at buying many cars over the years specifically supercharged XKRs, XF, etc. Drive them for a while then sell them years later and make a small profit I know the game and get these cars when they depreciate at 85-90%. I only put less than 1k miles on my XKR Portfolio per year it's a rare car only 100 made in that color. I had some Jag XKR daily drivers I got below 20k with low mileage the F Types are no different they gonna depreciate below 20k and below 15k years to come its inevitable same thing happened with XJS X150 Jags etc now the prices are creeping up once same cycle.

Old 07-31-2023 | 10:34 AM

I always been buying these cars private party ever since I learned about the dealer finesse and been purchasing clean cars below wholesale for what they sell for at dealer Manheim auctions. I been doing this for years and I'm a hobbyist who enjoys cars but not willing to pay more than MMR wholesale. So I been successful at buying many cars over the years specifically supercharged XKRs, XF, etc. Drive them for a while then sell them years later and make a small profit I know the game and get these cars when they depreciate at 85-90%. I only put less than 1k miles on my XKR Portfolio per year it's a rare car only 100 made in that color. I had some Jag XKR daily drivers I got below 20k with low mileage the F Types are no different they gonna depreciate below 20k and below 15k years to come its inevitable same thing happened with XJS X150 Jags etc now the prices are creeping up once same cycle.
Oki doki
Good luck may the Jaguar God's be with you in 3 years. Just for reference my Jaguar I bought 2 years ago is worth more than it is now...and I bought it well below Manheim MMR...amd it was certified. Get rhe most out if you old 3 style ago now .

Best if luck

Old 07-31-2023 | 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

I think most here like the XKR, but I'd be surprised if the vote wasn't tilted to the F-Type. After all, look where you're asking.
It would be interesting to post a similar poll in the XKR section and what votes/comments you get.

Old 07-31-2023 | 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

My Dad has an XK8 and I have an F-Type. The two are worlds apart and here's my quick comparison:

XK8
Much softer suspension
Less performance, including handling, transmission and engine. The difference in transmissions is unbelievable.
Much more trunk room and cabin room

F-Type
Feels much more cramped and ZERO room behind the seats
Less visibility
Better fuel economy. Seriously, my F-Type has something like 200 more HP and gets better mileage

Style is subjective. Oddly enough, both cars weigh about the same.

The XK is more of a grand tourer, with an emphasis on touring. The F-Type leans much more towards sports. For the amount you drive, the F-Type makes sense to me, but take a good look at the trunk and getting in and out of it. My father is now convinced that he needs an F-Type as his XK8 was totaled.

Old 08-01-2023 | 10:45 AM
|

So guys I made a decision I am going to be switching over to the F-Type hopefully I can get 34k for my current XKR and get the seller to agree to 35K this way the car will in reality actually cost me 21k because my XKR went up in value I am getting close to closing a deal but I can't wait to join the F Type gang soon

The following 2 users liked this post by XKRV6S:
dangoesfast (08-01-2023), scm (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023 | 11:21 AM

Something is not adding up to me.

If you "know the game" and always buy your Jags when they've depreciated 85-90%, and you also believe that you will easily be able to by a 2014/2015 F-Type V6S convertible in 2-3 years for $20k, then why would you be willing to pay $36k for one now?

Old 08-01-2023 | 12:42 PM
|

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
Something is not adding up to me.

If you "know the game" and always buy your Jags when they've depreciated 85-90%, and you also believe that you will easily be able to by a 2014/2015 F-Type V6S convertible in 2-3 years for $20k, then why would you be willing to pay $36k for one now?

I paid around 20k for a rare 2004 XKR Portfolio with only 15K miles on it. This car had an MSRP of 96k I picked it up from a private party. I can sell my XKR now for around 33-35k on Bring a trailer. 2014-15 V6S Convertibles with 20-35k miles are selling around 30-35k. So with that being said if I am able to get 33k-35k for my XKR, I can then pick up an 2014-15 V6S Convertible for the same price if not lower depending on the seller and my negotiation skills. So in other words I am basically doing a trade and would be paying around 20k for a v6s Convertible right now.

Here is a red portfolio XKR sold for 52k granted it had 9k miles on it mines has around 22k so 33-35k is reasonable more would be better

Here is a non portfolio XKR sold for around 29k with 22k miles

Old 08-01-2023 | 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
My Dad has an XK8 and I have an F-Type. The two are worlds apart and here's my quick comparison:

XK8
Much softer suspension
Less performance, including handling, transmission and engine. The difference in transmissions is unbelievable.
Much more trunk room and cabin room

F-Type
Feels much more cramped and ZERO room behind the seats
Less visibility
Better fuel economy. Seriously, my F-Type has something like 200 more HP and gets better mileage

Style is subjective. Oddly enough, both cars weigh about the same.

The XK is more of a grand tourer, with an emphasis on touring. The F-Type leans much more towards sports. For the amount you drive, the F-Type makes sense to me, but take a good look at the trunk and getting in and out of it. My father is now convinced that he needs an F-Type as his XK8 was totaled.
this^^^

i had a 2000 XKR, and then a 2016 F-Type V6S, and now a 2018 F-Type R. All three are different, each good/bad in different ways.
basically, if you want comfort the XKR is a better choice. If you want performance, the F-Type is better - the v6S is a bit nimbler, and the R is just a beast :-)

my XKR definitely lived up to its Jaguar heritage of breaking down and costing a lot to repair/maintain. the F-Types have been significantly more reliable (knocks wood).

my $.02 (worth every penny)

Old 08-04-2023 | 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

A lot of first year F Types traded back by owners of XK right away! Two completely different concepts. GT vs sports car.

Old 12-17-2023 | 08:49 AM
Default Choices

Don't choose. I have a 2008 XKR Portfolio convertible (only about 150 imported to the states) with 55K and in pristine condition. It is truly a classic tourer. The Connelly leather is pristine, the interior trim is suede and the staggered tires and six caliper brakes are just wonderful. The 4.2 engine seems bulletproof. Just recently I bought a 2016 F-Type S coupe to go along with my XKE coupe that I will soon sell. The six cylinder S, a true two-seater, is just a remarkable car. I prefer its sound to that of the more powerful R and the acceleration is dramatic. I found one here in Missouri with 65K miles, an exhaustive history and new Michelin tires. I bought both these cars knowing that they began their lives as factory leases. This provides you an exhaustive history of maintenance and repair. If you can swing it just keep them both and never buy another one. That's what I am doing.

Last edited by W Mitty; 12-17-2023 at 11:12 AM. Reason: wrong year provided
Old 12-17-2023 | 10:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by W Mitty
The 4.2 engine seems bulletproof.
I can attest to that - my 2004 XKR burst an oil pipe on my way home and I just got to my door before the oil ran out. I had it trailered to my trusted independent who said it might involve some expense if he couldn't get the old pipes off cleanly, but in the event he only had to replace the burst one. He said when he refilled and started it up it made some "interesting" noises, but a few revs later it was running sweetly. He changed the oil at 500 miles as a precaution but found no issues and the engine carried on until I traded it in for a 2010 XKR a few years later, by which time it had over 90,000 miles on the clock. So, not literally bulletproof in this case, but certainly a tough engine!

Old 12-17-2023 | 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
I can attest to that - my 2004 XKR burst an oil pipe on my way home and I just got to my door before the oil ran out. I had it trailered to my trusted independent who said it might involve some expense if he couldn't get the old pipes off cleanly, but in the event he only had to replace the burst one. He said when he refilled and started it up it made some "interesting" noises, but a few revs later it was running sweetly. He changed the oil at 500 miles as a precaution but found no issues and the engine carried on until I traded it in for a 2010 XKR a few years later, by which time it had over 90,000 miles on the clock. So, not literally bulletproof in this case, but certainly a tough engine!
hahaha, similar story, my 08 XF 4.2 in for a service. A day or two later my missus calls me at work and said there was oil all over our (quite steep) driveway. I go to the car in the basement and there is like a trail of oil leading to the car. I took it out to Jag, apparently they forgot to put the bung back in so it has leaked out on to the stone plate and then started to flow over when I hit the slope. He was putting litre after litre of oil into the car before it came good after at least 4 or 5.

Anyway I could actually see the oil dribbles on the road for about a year afterward leading the 10km or so to my home, it was like something from Wiley coyote and the roadrunner. But back to the point of the story, no ill effects, I had that car for about 5 years and it never missed a beat.