F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Upgrading from V6 to an "R"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Considering Upgrading from V6 to an "R"

I am looking for a little insight from "R" owners, or people that have driven both the "R" and the V6's.

I currently own a 2015 V6 and am considering upgrading to an "R" for the extra power, performance features, and model year upgrades it offers. I haven't had the chance to drive an "R" yet, but from what I have read in the reviews it's a completely different driving experience from the V6's... is there a lot of truth to this?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I haven't driven the V6 so I can't directly answer your question...but I did come from a 2013 Porsche 911 (991) C2. It's a different type of engine than the Jaguar's V6 (less torque, higher revving) but overall the 991 C2 is slightly faster than the F-Type V6/V6S variants so I can draw some comparisons. It's night and day from the 991 C2 to the F-Type R. The power is just another level. I was never "scared" of the 991 C2's power. In the R I am always very aware that I'm driving a monster of a car. Not to say I can't just cruise around. But in Dynamic + S Mode the car is just an absolute straight line monster. This may or may not appeal to you. I don't think the vast majority of owners can tell the difference with the suspension, torque vectoring, etc. over the V6. In fact, the V6 is probably a better driving car because of the lower weight (think 200-300 pounds lighter than the V8). But the power is another story. I saw this video earlier today between the V6 and V8S (less power than the R). The V6 looks like it's standing still. If brutal acceleration appeals to you then yes, it's a completely different driving experience.

Last edited by shift; 07-31-2015 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MI-FType (08-08-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I first test drove a V6... Then I test drove an R. I never looked back at the V6 again...

If you drive the R (and it's in your price range), you will want the R (unless you're a 6 speed purist)

Old 07-31-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I first test drove a V6... Then I test drove an R. I never looked back at the V6 again...

If you drive the R (and it's in your price range), you will want the R (unless you're a 6 speed purist)
LOL . . . not necessarily. I was tired of big power for street use, having done it so many times, and was looking for a change. I did drive the R first, then the V6 convertible and never looked back at the R.

20 years ago, I would have bought the R, no question.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I drove a V6S and then a V8S. I wanted a ragtop and in 2015 there was no R ragtop. I went with the V8S - no question. I enjoyed the V8 much, much more.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . not necessarily. I was tired of big power for street use, having done it so many times, and was looking for a change. I did drive the R first, then the V6 convertible and never looked back at the R.

20 years ago, I would have bought the R, no question.

Looking at the list of vehicles in your garage, I can see why you went with the V6...

Old 07-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

I wish I got the "R" but the "R" wasn't part of the lease special that was available to me. I'm getting tired of getting picked on by this Hyundai Genesis 2.0T on my way to the office. He's heavily modified and boosting a much higher PSI.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Looking at the list of vehicles in your garage, I can see why you went with the V6...
LOL . . . you should have seen my list from 10 years ago. I think you would have approved. With age comes, "been there, done that, time to do something different."

1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 SC (replica) w/ original side-oiler
1969 Camaro Convertible SS 427
2005 Lotus Elise
2006 C6 Z06
2006 Audi RS4

That's three 7 liter V8s (nearly 500 HP or over) in the same fleet and 2 smaller (400 HP) ones. The Lotus was my favorite to drive hard, however, foreshadowing my future.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-31-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . you should have seen my list from 10 years ago. I think you would have approved. With age comes, "been there, done that, time to do something different."

1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350
1965 Shelby Cobra SC (replica) w/ 427 side-oiler
1969 Camaro Convertible SS 427
2005 Lotus Elise
2006 C6 Z06
2006 Audi RS4
OK, I now approve and give you an A++

I'm certainly getting older, but right now, while fighting through a mid life crisis, it's more like, "let's do all the things I haven't yet, before I get too old to enjoy them!"

Old 07-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I now approve and give you an A++

I'm certainly getting older, but right now, while fighting through a mid life crisis, it's more like, "let's do all the things I haven't yet, before I get too old to enjoy them!"
Cheers, I do remember that stage and enjoyed the hell out of it. Fortunately, I'm enjoying the hell out of this one too, especially my current vehicle w/ 1300 ft. lbs. of torque and all the comforts of home. Of course, it does weigh 42,000 lbs.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks guys, I am appreciating the input. So far, it's sounding like the R may be the way to go. I also came from an American muscle, fast straight line background in my previous cars. I love the refinement of the V6, but kind of yearn for that extra "oomph"... especially with all of the muscle Detroit is putting out now with the Corvette, Cadillac V's, Challenger, Camaro and Mustangs.... not that there is much room for comparison vs the Jag, it seems I am constantly challenged every time someone pulls up next to me.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 on this. I drove v6 prior to the 'R' and this moved the Jag from #3 on my list to #1 and ended I up buying it and loved it ever since.

MI-FType (08-08-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my V6 base in May, and the irrational part of me wishes or wants to move to an R. I experience the same thing, every light and corer there is a mustang, camero or challenger that wants to go. I am not that guy to be honest but at times you want the extra power. You will all laugh, but my last car was a 137hp Hyndia Veloster, so moving to 340hp was a step up for me and is the most powerful thing I have ever owned. I will continue to look into doing some mods on my V6 to give it a little juice. Again don't laugh too hard at my Veloster lol

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Thanks guys, I am appreciating the input. So far, it's sounding like the R may be the way to go. I also came from an American muscle, fast straight line background in my previous cars. I love the refinement of the V6, but kind of yearn for that extra "oomph"... especially with all of the muscle Detroit is putting out now with the Corvette, Cadillac V's, Challenger, Camaro and Mustangs.... not that there is much room for comparison vs the Jag, it seems I am constantly challenged every time someone pulls up next to me.
I first test drove the V6 coupe and then the V6S convertible, and was planning to go with the V6S, but I couldn't find a V6S with all the options I wanted in a color combination that I wanted (and my lease was expiring before the date the dealer could guarantee delivery of a new order), so I expanded my search to the R convertible models. I soon found a 2016 R convertible in a color combination that I was happy with, spec'd with everything on my must have list, and with all but two of my like to have options (black pack and suedecloth seats were the only absent options.) I drove out to do a test drive. Once I got behind the wheel and got onto the road where I could open it up a bit, I was glad I decided to test drive the R.

The R feels so much faster than the V6S, it is like night and day. Yes it is a bit heavier up front, and yes you can feel it if you really try, but the handling hides it well. Between the electromechanical LSD, torque vectoring, and AWD, the R is amazingly well planted in the corners and lets you push the car much harder than I would have in the V6S. IMO the V8's deeper more throaty engine note also sounds much better than the V6, but your opinion may differ.

Then again, the R is quite a bit more expensive. Doubly so if you factor in the depreciation and tax loss from trading in a 1 year old car. But if it were me, I'd probably do it. Then again cost wasn't my top concern when I decided to start looking for a convertible sports car with supercar-level performance, but still civilized and comfortable enough to be a good daily driver. If the FTR wasn't available, I'd probably have either gone with the C7 Z06 or a 911 Turbo Cabriolet. After seeing all the issues with the C7 overheating, it would have come down to the 911. I'm glad the FTR was available when I wanted it.

In any case, I obviously ended up with the FTR and don't regret my choice. It looks stunning, sounds amazing, and accelerates off the line like being fired out of a rifle. Of course, the AWD models don't light up the tires and leave a smoke screen behind you like the RWD models do, and from what understand it isn't as easy to drift in the AWD models since the AWD rotates you through corners. But I don't care about either of those things, and appreciate the extra longevity in my tires.

Last edited by Merlin; 07-31-2015 at 10:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Merlin:
MI-FType (08-08-2015), TXJagR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

GREAT, now I'm going to have to upgrade too, nice review Merlin.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I was a passenger in a V-6 with someone that races and it was fast and lots of fun.. however absolutely no comparison to the pure acceleration and deep growl of the 8.
My R is so far, the best car of its class that I have driven or ridden in from an overall experience point of view... so, I prefer it to the AMG's, Porsche and also the F type v-6.
Lawrence.

MI-FType (08-08-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Considering Upgrading from V6 to an "R"

Could anyone comment on this same question from the context of using the car as a daily driver in a northern climate that sees a fair amount of slippery roads in the winter?

My left brain wants the R. My right brain says the V6S AWD is the only rational choice. I'm really torn.

This will be my only car. Stupid 2-car garage.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I had fun in the V6S, but the V8S was a hoot. For me this is a weekend car (commuting with carpool access is awesome) so choosing the V8 was easy.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
Could anyone comment on this same question from the context of using the car as a daily driver in a northern climate that sees a fair amount of slippery roads in the winter?

My left brain wants the R. My right brain says the V6S AWD is the only rational choice. I'm really torn.

While I am not up north, I picked the 2016 R over the 2015 for the AWD. I use mine as a DD. Have almost 10,000 miles in a little over 3 months. We get a few days of ice and snow every winter in Dallas. I'm confident I'll keep driving mine all year long.

The only issue I can think that might be a problem would be DEEP snow. Any low ground clearance sports car becomes a snow plow in deep snow...

Old 08-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati

I'm from SF, we're suppose to have a very wet winter! El Nino! The 2016 R comes only in AWD for US. If you are looking at 2015 R then it's only RWD. Either way, there is a "ice/rain mode" that tames the beast If you are really worried then you can always put on winter tires. High performance tires are horrible in the rain. Put on a good set of winter tires, put it in rain mode, you're good to go.