F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Upgrading from V6 to an "R"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015 | 10:39 PM
|

Originally Posted by Foosh
If you've never had a car with FTR-type power, I get why one would conclude that there's "no other choice." It's something every car enthusiast has to do at least once. If you've had a bunch of over-powered cars for street use, where you generally have no business actually using that kind of power, it's no longer a novelty and you start appreciating things other than raw power.

Having been there and done the monster V8 thing over the last 20 years or so, and having driven both F-Types, I walked away from the V8 having nothing to do with price, but because I vastly preferred the V6.

This is why I conclude that JLR was clever in their offerings; by appealing to a wide variety of enthusiasts who are driven by various motivations and emotions.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015 | 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

+1 Couldn't agree more. They're all very appealing.

Old 10-24-2015 | 09:58 PM

My 2 cents...

Bought my 16 AWD R on Tuesday. Had a day with it today in the winding country side of Chester County, PA. Today is peek day for the fall colors. Perfect day...

And, perfect car. Even my wife who drives like an old lady loved it! She even drove it for a bit and learned how to use the paddles entering and exiting curves while 'jumping on it'.

I would just say this.... ANY F-TYPE is a spectacular car. Just a rolling piece of art. Porsche drivers just drool. Stopped at a country store for breakfast with a bunch of cyclists taking a break and stopped at a country tavern for lunch with a bunch of Harley guys - all of em' just loving it...

Now, I will say BGR really works with the fall colors...

Having said that, I think the thing that makes the R so special is the 'total package' it gives. The looks are there - and, it is stunning (as many said today). But, so is that sound. And, so is that power. And, so is that speed. It's just so visceral...

It's not that any car can get to 125 mph - it's just that the R gets there a lot faster. Had a 911 following me 2 days ago on the turnpike at 90. I goosed it and I swear he was in my rear mirror a quarter mile back when I look at 125. Just incredible. Not going to do that often (hey, it's my new toy), but it's a confidence thing, ya know?

Taking some of my employee's and friends - goosing it hard... every one, and I mean every one - just starts laughing. One of my managers just laughed the entire 10 minute drive. Heck, my secretary got it up to 101 mph in what seemed to be a quarter mile! And, she's married to a cop! lol

One other thing I love - it is just so smooth and effortless.

Bottom line - nothing can touch this for its price point.

This cat simply owns the road.

Old 10-24-2015 | 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Flinger,

Good post, and you're right there's no contest in terms of acceleration, even though the V6 is plenty quick. However, much to my surprise, one of the things that I most preferred in my comparison was the incredibly exotic sound of the V6 over the V8. It's very loud but higher pitched, and it sounds like nothing else. It's definitely one of most unique exhaust notes I've ever heard.

The V8 sounds great, but it still reminded me of a dozen or more previous high performance V8s I've owned. There's no doubt that my decision was heavily influenced by being a little bored with them and wanting something different.

I also preferred the lighter and more balanced handling of the V6.

Flinger (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015 | 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

+1 My thinking when I traded SLK55 for Jag. could have got great deal on a V8 at the time but the little Merc with 418HP naturally aspirated seemed like overkill and required a lot of attention when using the power, but it was fun in the stop light drags, only lost to Vettes!

Old 10-25-2015 | 07:42 AM

Foosh - back at ya... good posts.

My wife just told me that if we lived in Houston right now, I would claim the car could walk on water in the mist of a flood.... lol

I guess I'm still excited, uh? Hope I never lose it...

Foosh (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015 | 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flinger
My 2 cents...

Bought my 16 AWD R on Tuesday. Had a day with it today in the winding country side of Chester County, PA. Today is peek day for the fall colors. Perfect day...

And, perfect car. Even my wife who drives like an old lady loved it! She even drove it for a bit and learned how to use the paddles entering and exiting curves while 'jumping on it'.

I would just say this.... ANY F-TYPE is a spectacular car. Just a rolling piece of art. Porsche drivers just drool. Stopped at a country store for breakfast with a bunch of cyclists taking a break and stopped at a country tavern for lunch with a bunch of Harley guys - all of em' just loving it...

Now, I will say BGR really works with the fall colors...

Having said that, I think the thing that makes the R so special is the 'total package' it gives. The looks are there - and, it is stunning (as many said today). But, so is that sound. And, so is that power. And, so is that speed. It's just so visceral...

It's not that any car can get to 125 mph - it's just that the R gets there a lot faster. Had a 911 following me 2 days ago on the turnpike at 90. I goosed it and I swear he was in my rear mirror a quarter mile back when I look at 125. Just incredible. Not going to do that often (hey, it's my new toy), but it's a confidence thing, ya know?

Taking some of my employee's and friends - goosing it hard... every one, and I mean every one - just starts laughing. One of my managers just laughed the entire 10 minute drive. Heck, my secretary got it up to 101 mph in what seemed to be a quarter mile! And, she's married to a cop! lol

One other thing I love - it is just so smooth and effortless.

Bottom line - nothing can touch this for its price point.

This cat simply owns the road.
Flinger, where are you located in Chester County? I'm in Berks counting (Birdsboro, PA) and I have the Bright Salsa Red FTR with Black wheels. I hope to see you around! I'm always in Chester County, my sister lives off 113 on Downingtown, my parents live in Spring City and I own a rental in West Chester.

Yours is the British Green? I will keep an eye out!

Old 10-25-2015 | 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Default PA

Originally Posted by JagBrian
Flinger, where are you located in Chester County? I'm in Berks counting (Birdsboro, PA) and I have the Bright Salsa Red FTR with Black wheels. I hope to see you around! I'm always in Chester County, my sister lives off 113 on Downingtown, my parents live in Spring City and I own a rental in West Chester.

I'm over in York County but get to Lancaster a and Chester often. I know we've got another member in Hershey. We should plan a meet.

Old 10-25-2015 | 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JagBrian

Hey, man. Yes. I live in Malvern. Me thinks a Red and Green F-Type might remind us of Christmas - every day.

When you're heading our way, let me know and we will meet up. In fact... if you want to go for a little touring out your way, let me know and let's compare!

113 in Downingtown is about 15 minutes away...

Old 10-25-2015 | 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I'm over in York County but get to Lancaster a and Chester often. I know we've got another member in Hershey. We should plan a meet.
Man, I need to read ahead a bit...

Awesome - 3 makes a team, doesn't it?

I'm in Lancaster quit a bit. Yes, let's plan something. Can't this Sat. Sunday?

How's the forecast and how's the timing?

Gary

Old 10-25-2015 | 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Man, I need to read ahead a bit...

Awesome - 3 makes a team, doesn't it?

I'm in Lancaster quit a bit. Yes, let's plan something. Can't this Sat. Sunday?

How's the forecast and how's the timing?

Gary
Long range has it as cloudy on Sunday. But this far out they are never right. Clocks go back that night so late morning, early afternoon meet might work. NotFamousanymore in Hershey want to join?

Old 10-26-2015 | 08:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

... Me thinks a Red and Green F-Type might remind us of Christmas - every day...

Yes, Salsa Red and BRG go well together.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e2/#post832669

Old 10-26-2015 | 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update for Sunday

Long range has it as cloudy on Sunday. But this far out they are never right. Clocks go back that night so late morning, early afternoon meet might work. NotFamousanymore in Hershey want to join?
Looks like Sunday weather will be good and low 60s. Should we meet up in Lancaster? Park City Mall area? Afternoon works after 1230 for me. Let me know.

Old 10-26-2015 | 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by MI-FType
This week my '16 R Coupe arrived and I traded in my '15 Base Coupe. ...
MI-FType, congrats on the recent acquisition. I picked up mine from the Troy dealership in late August. Hell of a time of year waiting until after summer for you and I to pick up our cars, but with AWD we can have fun well into winter!

Maybe I'll see you around in yours in SE Michigan!

MI-FType (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015 | 10:37 AM
|

Originally Posted by jimmers
MI-FType, congrats on the recent acquisition. I picked up mine from the Troy dealership in late August. Hell of a time of year waiting until after summer for you and I to pick up our cars, but with AWD we can have fun well into winter!

Maybe I'll see you around in yours in SE Michigan!
Thanks Jimmers! I picked mine up from Jaguar of Novi. Not too many F-Types around SE Michigan at all. I have only seen 3 since becoming an owner last year. One was a press car out by me in Milford and 2 others in downtown Birmingham... all were convertibles too.

My new R Coupe is Storm Grey and Stohlen's is white... Odds are pretty good that if you see either one of those colors in an R Coupe around town it's one of us driving.

Old 10-27-2015 | 10:58 AM

Looks like Sunday weather will be good and low 60s. Should we meet up in Lancaster? Park City Mall area? Afternoon works after 1230 for me. Let me know.
I think I can make it out there by 12:30, but let's make 1 to be sure if that's ok with you. I think my wife will join us.

Maybe PM for details? BTW - it's Gary and Vicki

Old 10-27-2015 | 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MI-FType
... I have only seen 3 since becoming an owner last year. One was a press car out by me in Milford and 2 others in downtown Birmingham...
Yes, Birmingham is one of my haunts - I live on one side of it and work on the other. Driving home through there on a nice warm day is a good place for eye candy, and not just the internal combustion or electric type!

My convertible is Polaris white, first white car I have ever bought. It looks great with the black interior and performance seat with the red contrast stitching. My other convertible is triple black with white contrast stitching and I wanted a change from that.

I really considered some of those grey hues, they look great on the coupe. I almost went for Ammonite, but they didn't yet have anything with that color when I ordered, not even a brochure, and you can't rely on colors off a computer monitor.

Old 11-02-2015 | 04:56 PM

i first test drove the V6 and it just wasn't a different enough experience from my Cayman (in terms of speed, acceleration, etc.). then i test drove the R & WOW...i was hooked and that made my decision immediately. i bought the R and have loved it since.

it's raw and exciting. i've had three Porsche's and i can't knock them. they are great, but they are almost 'too good'. this sounds strange, but it's best contrasted with the R...it is more of a 'supercar' experience (loud, raw, big torque/power...). it is just more exciting to me than what i had experienced in my porsche's (one cayman, 2 911's).

not better...just very different.

Old 06-02-2018 | 09:48 AM

Bumping this thread!

I am considering upgrading from a highly modified (VAP tuned, dual pullied, Eventuri intake, 200 cell cats, Aquamist kit) 2014 V6 Base to a 2014 V8s. I will be taking out my mods and reinstalling them on the V8 should I go down this route, likely going from around ~460 hp to ~650 hp. Additionally, I've been looking at tightening up my Base's suspension with coilovers and a LSD (which would cost roughly USD 3k) - two upgrades which will mostly be moot if I upgrade to the V8s.

However, I have only been able to find one V8s for sale in Dubai and its not in the best of shape - definitely worse than my current V6. I would have to ask my dealer to replace all the sticky interior surfaces under warranty and likely replace the steering wheel as well (~400 USD). The car also doesn't have memory seats, which was one of my preferred options. The tires are Dunlops on the front and P Zeros on the rear, which will need to be changed to the MPSS (although the rears on my Base also will need to be changed soon for USD 1k). The car also has not been serviced since August 2017 and is 6,000 km overdue. I think I can sum up the two options as follows:

Power - 460 hp vs 650? hp
Brakes - Performance (355/325) vs Super Performance (380/376)
Dampers - Static (coilovers - 1.5k) vs Adaptive
LSD - None (2k upgrade) vs eLSD
Tires - MPSS (1k soon) vs Dunlop/P-Zeros (2k to buy new MPSS)
Weight - 3,667 lbs vs 3,848 lbs
Mileage - 65,000km (41,000 miles) vs 71,000km (45,000 miles)
Colour - salsa red (looks great) vs white (boring imo)
Seats - sports seats vs performance seats (both without memory)
Warranty - expiring both for soon

Now here's the big kicker. The dealer is asking me for USD 20.4k to upgrade (trading in my current car whilst swapping all the mods on my V6 with the stock parts on the V8). Adding in the cost of a new tune, servicing, labour cost to swap parts and new tires - I'd probably have to spend around USD 25k all in to make the swap. And the dealer has offered me USD 27k for my V6 as it is. Then again, pouring in more money in upgrades would make far more sense on the V8 rather than attempting supercharger swaps and engine boring on the V6.

Anyone have any perspectives on whether I should make the change for that amount of money?

If I trade in and buy a C7 Z06 it would cost me around USD 41k, whereas going to a McLaren MP4-12C would be around USD 44k (and an arm and a leg in maintenance).

Last edited by ss23; 06-02-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2018 | 05:24 PM

Out of those choices - I would pick the McLaren