F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Used 2015-2017 Base

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Considering a Used 2015-2017 Base

For the past 6 years, my main car has been an XJL, and our "fun" car (also the wife's main vehicle for the little driving she does) has been first a 2005 Maserati Coupe' and then a 2003 MB SL-500. I've loved the F-Type's styling since it was first introduced, but have had a need for a 4-dr sedan, so I've only been able to admire them from afar. Now that they've been out a few years and the price has come down on CPOs and other used F-types, we're considering replacing the SL-500 with a 2015-2017 F-type, with the goal of staying under $50k. With that in mind, is there anything in particular I should be wary of, or look for, in the different model years? IOW, was there some aspect that was a problem in 2014 and/or 2015 that was corrected in later model years? Has the warranty changed any? Any other issues/changes to look out for?

Here's an example of a 2015 CPO I'd consider:

https://www.warrenhenryjaguar.com/ce...ec3bf29665.htm

Thanks for any info/advice.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Others can comment more but here are something of the changes.
  • For 2017 the base model gets less features like seats without lumbar adjustments and seat memory. They manually slide forward and back.
  • Different gauges and updated infotainment for 2016.
  • 2017 has a windshield that blocks radar detectors. Some radar detectors work in the small cutout but others won’t. A remote mount will work fine.
I am sure I forgot some other changes.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had R230 SL and it is a categorically different car from F-type. F-type is louder, harder, and more cramped inside. No trunk space in convertible. It is also very fast and handles really well. Unlike SL, F-type wouldn't be my first choice to take on a 1000 miles roadtrip, like SL wouldn't be my first choice to take to the track.

When I had SL, it was a very problematic car. R230 was unending problems (e.g. ABC, SDS) and every issue would result in a flatbed tow. F-type is comparatively trouble-free. Early year models had water pump issue. Early MT had a clutch issue. This about it.

However, you likely want to move up from base to get active exhaust (so it isn't always loud). Droning exhaust can get old on long highway rides.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure I agree with the above about not doing a 1000 mile trip in the F Type. I drove about 800 this weekend and I was reminded how comfortable the car is. Great seats, not twitchy, and 27MPG at 80MPH between FT lauderdale and Gainesville.

In the years you're looking at and in SoFla heat you're going to have to replace all of the sticky stuff. The dealer will only do it under the original bumper to bumper. IT's not covered by the extended CPO.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I've done ten 1000-mile drives (nonstop except for fuel and potty breaks, 13-15 hours each) and found it to be quite comfortable (I have the sport seats.) Granted, I travel alone, so I can fine enough room in the convertible for my stuff.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I have to agree with DJS and BoulderGTS. Very comfortable on long trips. I have a coupe, so space is no problem. Beautiful, supportive seats. The interior is very quiet, unless you step on it. Very precise handling and more power than you'll need on any trip.

One thing to note, neither my 2015 or the 2017 they lent me while doing work on my own car, neither had a navigation system that rivaled Google maps. It's not bad and the 2017 was better, but nowhere near Google. I personally don't care, as I use my phone.

But overall, this is definitely a cruiser. It's good to be bad.

The following users liked this post:
scm (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM

I also agree that the F-Type is comfortable for 1,000 mile road trips but it would not be my first choice if those road trips were 100% on the interstate. To really appreciate the F-Type's strengths you need to need to get off the interstate and find some good back roads. For interstate road trips, give me a Jaguar XJ which will have a ton more room, be quieter and ride better.

Getting back on topic, for me the 2016 Base F-Type is the year to get. Updated tech and gauges without stripped out features of the 2017 and no radar detector blocking windshield.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I had R230 SL and it is a categorically different car from F-type. F-type is louder, harder, and more cramped inside. No trunk space in convertible. It is also very fast and handles really well. Unlike SL, F-type wouldn't be my first choice to take on a 1000 miles roadtrip, like SL wouldn't be my first choice to take to the track.

When I had SL, it was a very problematic car. R230 was unending problems (e.g. ABC, SDS) and every issue would result in a flatbed tow. F-type is comparatively trouble-free. Early year models had water pump issue. Early MT had a clutch issue. This about it.

However, you likely want to move up from base to get active exhaust (so it isn't always loud). Droning exhaust can get old on long highway rides.

I have a later 2016 base and mine has active exhaust selections (and no clutch issues). I'd search for one fairly loaded with options - vision package, rear camera, programmable rear view mirror, 19" or 20" wheels, premium leather package etc... It seems in 2017 they started cutting options (as mentioned) as standard, but mechanically the 2016 and 2017 are very, very similar if not the same.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

[QUOTE=BOulderGT3;1963338]I'm not sure I agree with the above about not doing a 1000 mile trip in the F Type. I drove about 800 this weekend and I was reminded how comfortable the car is. Great seats, not twitchy, and 27MPG at 80MPH between FT lauderdale and Gainesville.[QUOTE]I am positive I wouldn't agree. SinF was spot-on with all of his other observations, though. I have comfortably traveled several 600+ mile days in the F-Type, many of them in succession. Took a 5k miles drive-about 2 years ago, and suffered no discomfort. Plan on doing an even longer trip next year. And definitely, you need the switchable exhaust for long drone-free travel.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-17-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

[QUOTE=Unhingd;1963433][QUOTE=BOulderGT3;1963338]I'm not sure I agree with the above about not doing a 1000 mile trip in the F Type. I drove about 800 this weekend and I was reminded how comfortable the car is. Great seats, not twitchy, and 27MPG at 80MPH between FT lauderdale and Gainesville.
I am positive I wouldn't agree. SinF was spot-on with all of his other observations, though. I have comfortably traveled several 600+ mile days in the F-Type, many of them in succession. Took a 5k miles drive-about 2 years ago, and suffered no discomfort. Plan on doing an even longer trip next year. And definitely, you need the switchable exhaust for long drone-free travel.
Interesting that you brought up the drone. My Ghibli droned horribly after I wired the exhaust gates open, but only under certain load situations. I could feather the accelerator to pretty much eliminate it and once you had it "planed" the drone disappeared. I notice no drone at all with this car since I blocked the vacuum lines to open the exhaust permanently. Do you think that may be because it is the 340HP version?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by El Gato
I have a later 2016 base and mine has active exhaust selections (and no clutch issues). I'd search for one fairly loaded with options - vision package, rear camera, programmable rear view mirror, 19" or 20" wheels, premium leather package etc... It seems in 2017 they started cutting options (as mentioned) as standard, but mechanically the 2016 and 2017 are very, very similar if not the same.
Actually, 2015 is quite similar as well. At least if you are looking for an auto. You can get a fully loaded S for the same price as 2017, even less and then you get all the goodies.
I could bump my car to another 40-50 HP and not worry about the brakes. Vision package and performance package are really nice to have. And then the S comes with all it's own bells and whistle.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I would guess you need active exhaust for drone-free highway travel, but not necessarily switchable active exhaust. Mine isn’t switchable, but has been fine, though I’d recommend the switchable.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 PM

I appreciate everyone's comments so far, but the one that really hit home was SinF's comparison to the SL-500:

Originally Posted by SinF
I had R230 SL and it is a categorically different car from F-type. F-type is louder, harder, and more cramped inside.
If this is true, then I'll just have to continue to admire the F-Type from afar. I'm 6'4" and 240, and I barely fit into our SL-500, which is fine since it's basically been my wife's car and I'm rarely behind the wheel. However, the point of trading it in for an F-Type would be so that I could have some fun driving it, just as I had with our Maserati Coupe'. I guess the first thing to do is to head over to a dealership and take one out for a drive. I sat in one on a showroom floor a few years ago and didn't feel cramped back then, but just sitting in one for a few minutes and actually driving one for awhile are two different things. BTW, with respect to the hypothetical 1000+ mile interstate trip, we'd probably take the XJL over the F-Type just cuz we'd need the added room.

Has anyone taken a look at the 2015 CPO for sale that I linked to in my OP? Any thoughts? It apparently has the Premium Pack and the Vision Pack, as well as the Climate Pack which is really useful in Miami Beach, lol. Seems like a good price although it has 45k on the clock.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
I appreciate everyone's comments so far, but the one that really hit home was SinF's comparison to the SL-500:

If this is true, then I'll just have to continue to admire the F-Type from afar. I'm 6'4" and 240, and I barely fit into our SL-500, which is fine since it's basically been my wife's car and I'm rarely behind the wheel. However, the point of trading it in for an F-Type would be so that I could have some fun driving it, just as I had with our Maserati Coupe'. I guess the first thing to do is to head over to a dealership and take one out for a drive. I sat in one on a showroom floor a few years ago and didn't feel cramped back then, but just sitting in one for a few minutes and actually driving one for awhile are two different things. BTW, with respect to the hypothetical 1000+ mile interstate trip, we'd probably take the XJL over the F-Type just cuz we'd need the added room.

Has anyone taken a look at the 2015 CPO for sale that I linked to in my OP? Any thoughts? It apparently has the Premium Pack and the Vision Pack, as well as the Climate Pack which is really useful in Miami Beach, lol. Seems like a good price although it has 45k on the clock.
I'm going to sell my 2015 R with 25K and warranty until 2020 in a couple of months. I'll be above $50 but it is an immaculate no stories car.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Madman there is your car ^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!! Drive this and you will quickly forget about the base model...... (I am partial to the 15 R)

Old 09-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

[QUOTE=fujicoupe;1963442][QUOTE=Unhingd;1963433]
Originally Posted by BOulderGT3
I'm not sure I agree with the above about not doing a 1000 mile trip in the F Type. I drove about 800 this weekend and I was reminded how comfortable the car is. Great seats, not twitchy, and 27MPG at 80MPH between FT lauderdale and Gainesville.
Interesting that you brought up the drone. My Ghibli droned horribly after I wired the exhaust gates open, but only under certain load situations. I could feather the accelerator to pretty much eliminate it and once you had it "planed" the drone disappeared. I notice no drone at all with this car since I blocked the vacuum lines to open the exhaust permanently. Do you think that may be because it is the 340HP version?
Perhaps. The more highly tuned these cars are, the louder they seem to get.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mjet
Madman there is your car ^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!! Drive this and you will quickly forget about the base model...... (I am partial to the 15 R)
It's worth waiting for IMO and no dealer BS.
I'll move it quickly when I'm ready to sell.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

[QUOTE=Unhingd;1963495]
[QUOTE=fujicoupe;1963442]
Originally Posted by Unhingd
Perhaps. The more highly tuned these cars are, the louder they seem to get.
Originally Posted by Unhingd
Agreed.
The initial VAP tune without the larger crank pulley increased the noise at WOT by say 10%, so not much really. All exhaust noise.
The later tune with larger crank pulley increased the noise at WOT by another 25% at least, some exhaust but especially the SC whine.
After the "pulley + tune" the one and only time I have gunned it with SWMBO on board almost cost me dearly, it scared the c..p out of her, not just the acceleration but also the noise. I was told in no uncertain terms to never do that again!
I get a bit of drone in loud mode going uphill at around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, but if I switch the exhaust to quiet mode there is no more drone.
Only a little drone cruising on the highway at 60-70 mph with the exhaust in loud mode, and again no drone at all if I switch to quiet mode.

Last edited by OzXFR; 09-17-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 PM

I'm going to sell my 2015 R with 25K and warranty until 2020 in a couple of months. I'll be above $50 but it is an immaculate no stories car.
It's worth waiting for IMO and no dealer BS.
I'll move it quickly when I'm ready to sell.
Your car is absolutely gorgeous, but aside from being a little out of our price range, I think our preference is for a convertible to replace our SL-500. I appreciate the offer though.

Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 PM

My experience with the tune and drone is a bit different. Due to the extra torque down low, the drone is barely noticeable with the tune when driving at 80 mph on a flat road. On the other hand, once you have to get into the throttle more like when going up a steep grade the drone is louder with the tune. As a side note, the cold starts are also noticeably louder with the tune but once the engines warms up it's about the same.

I did some high speed cruising last week over steep grades the drone of the exhaust wasn't bad. Having the ability to close the valves would definitely be nice but for me not a necessity. Personally, I find the tire noise over rough roads more of a problem for long trips than the drone.

Quick Reply: Considering a Used 2015-2017 Base