F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a used 2016 Base

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 10:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Considering a used 2016 Base

What should I be looking out for? Any special issues with the 6 speed?

Old 02-02-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

My first question is..have you driven a manual equipped F-TYPE yet? If you're expecting quick, fast throws...this won't be the car for you. Being a former JLRNA employee, I was tasked with grenading clutches on our company cars and providing feedback to the Power Train Engineering team as warranty claims for clutch issues started piling up.

- The transmission is the same ZF in the BMW 1M
- The pedal spacing isn't ideal as the F-TYPE was never designed with a manual in mind. Remember, the F-TYPE is based off of the XK chassis.
- Throws are long and sloppy and do not encourage fast throws
- Rev hang is notorious
- The clutch delay valve further exacerbates the rev hang; giving the impression of a slipping clutch
- The clutch itself was sourced from Volvo
- By the time I left JLR, I think the clutch was on its 2nd or 3rd redesign

If you're looking to do to lazy cruises, then the manual will be fine. Anything spirited will leave you a bit disappointed.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Drive an automatic in Dynamic/Sport (shift lever to the left).

As I've said, my only adaptation, was to get used to the seven gears...(it normally starts in 2nd)

Old 02-02-2022, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy mine a ton but like he said. If you are looking to slam gears it has so many safeties to stop you from spinning it. I love mine for spirited drives in the hills but if you are into anything 0-whatever you will be left with so much clutch delay it'll drive you insane.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No issues on mine so far (cross fingers). Though there are a few threads on some things to watch out for regarding which generation of clutch. I do absolutely agree that you shouldn't expect quick or fast throws, but it is extremely satisfying experience to shift gears and the accompanying noises while cruising. Ultimately it depends on how and where you will be using the car.

Manual F-Types are harder to come by so if you get a chance to test one, you should definitely give it a go before you make your decision.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:43 AM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

As others have said it's definitely not the transmission for the track. My main gripe is the rev hang; my E46 with drive by cable, and thus no rev hang, is much more rewarding to nail a shift.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't have my F-Type any other way. I am not amazed by the 6MT, but am satisfied with it and it has not hampered my enjoyment of the car in any significant way. Anyways, this car is much more a grand tourer than a true sports car, and the transmission definitely falls in line with that.

Finally, finding a 6MT is becoming increasingly difficult. The majority of 6MTs that have come up for sale in recent years were 3-3.5 year lease returns, which provided a steady supply. Since the last year for the MTs was 2019, and the majority of manuals were MY16/17, there are very few from this source. Most now would likely be on the tail end of this or private parties, who tend to hold their cars.

Last edited by takeapieandrun; 02-03-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thanks

Great input and much appreciated. I haven't driven the 6 speed and think I'll pass on it for now. I know that there were issues with early clutches and I don't want to take the risk.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:53 AM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default You may want to spend an hour or so on this thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...158861/page26/

this link starts on page 26, but read backwards as the clutch saga is a long one. I bought a 2017 Base M/T (built in late 2016) in fall of 2020. While I believed I had done all my due diligence in this Forum to understand what all there was to an F, I did not find this clutch issue entry until AFTER I had bought the car. Fortunately, the selling dealer was upfront about the clutch being replaced (at 26K miles ). A lifelong MT driver, I was a bit unsettled by a replaced clutch so soon, but the car was still under factory warranty and the selling dealer offered a 4 month warranty on top of that. (I had asked for the shop order to replace the clutch and the parts invoice and got those). Then I found the clutch thread.. OMG, clutches that gave out before the owner got the new F home! OMG, what did I just buy? I just kept reading through the posts. I had a 3 hour drive home from the selling dealer and did not experience any issue with the clutch. By the end of the forum, it was apparent that Fs were on their 4th generation clutch. I asked one of the obvious experts (Unhinged) about my clutch and provided the part number, (T2R27466) . He replied that it was indeed the 4th gen unit and that I should be OK. It is now over a year since purchase and 6K miles on this new clutch. No issues (KOW). Do check with a JLR dealer to make sure that all the services at the recommended mileage/time were done. My big concern right now is the "old style" coolant pipes that were flanged and were, AIUI, heat welded together, that may split and leak. My car is on the cusp of the changeover to the solid pipes, but has these old style pipes. Waiting for a P&L quote to replace them before anything bad happens. Other issues with the car... OE battery was going bad, replaced under warranty two weeks after I bought it; tether on gas cap snapped, replaced under warranty; passenger side lower door jamb weatherstripping (hinge area) split from mounting pins, replaced under warranty. Ambient lighting in door and passenger grab handle not 'enabled', done under warranty, via module update/massaging. So far I have had excellent treatment from my local dealer, Bergstrom Fox Valley JLR in Appleton, WI and considering the repair issues... would I buy this car again? IN A HEARTBEAT , it is SO wonderful to drive, I often miss my turn/turnoff because I am enjoying the drive so much.

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
Carbuff2 (02-04-2022), DJS (02-03-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 02:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

A BRG 6 speed base on Bring A Trailer
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...uar-f-type-35/