F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console plastics

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 01:25 PM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Console plastics

Just a question in regards to how you guys are finding how well the plastics inside the F-type are wearing/cleaning? In my 2024 upon delivery (very recently) I saw what I thought was just a little bit of dirt/grease in that matte plastic area around the cup holders (just in front of the cup holders towards the leather surrounding the gear shift area).

Went to clean it up today thinking it would fix it up...Much to my surprise it did not...Tried some P&S Interior cleaner, and then a small bit of dawn soap and water and no luck...I'm not sure if there is something on there, or if it has just become a shinier area from some sort of light abrasion during the delivery process...I have no idea, and it's certainly not the end of the world, or anything that I would bother the dealer with at the end of the day...My experience says it will be made worse by them, or they will screw something else up while trying to fix that...Literally every time I have ever tried to have a dealer address something on a new vehicle they have always messed something else up on the vehicle, so I know when to cut my losses, quit while I'm ahead, etc ;-)

In any case, just thought I would ask about this in case anyone else has seen similar things with theirs, have a suggestion for attempting to clean/fix it, etc...The thought crossed my mind to try some goo gone, but I'm just concerned that could be too aggressive and make it worse...

This is me just going over the car and seeing what I can find for warts ;-) There's always a few. I'm just trying to determine if there's something on there, or if the original matte finish of the plastic has somehow been compromised. If anyone has any thoughts towards this I'm all ears.

Maybe another cleaner would do a better job, not sure...

Old 05-26-2024, 01:54 PM

Anyone figure it would be worth a shot and safe to try applying a bit of isopropyl alcohol?

I just don't have enough experience with this sorta thing to know one way or the other, but I'm catching some glimpses out there on the Information Super Highway that this could be something to try.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-26-2024, 01:57 PM

Re-thinking that...Seeing some stories out there where it created more issues in some cases with plastics...Hard to say...

Old 05-26-2024, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Mine is 8 years old now but for a few years it had been scuffed and looked poor, probably the only part of the car showing wear. So I thought to wrap it which werent as successful as I would have liked due to the lid sticking a bit opening and closing, so I bought hard covers from Amazon to go over the top. When I pulled the wrap off the rubbery coating came off the trip with it (eek) but that is all covered by the hard plastic covers, so it isnt noticeable.

The covers are designed for US cars (the bit that comes up against the transmission parts isnt symmetrical) so for my car it wasnt a perfect fit, but once it is in place you couldnt tell.
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0C77L8...t_details&th=1

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 05-26-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

The cupholder cover and adjacent area is coated. Be very gentle and careful in cleaning these particular parts. A soft cloth, dampened, and very light pressure is all that should be needed. The discoloured bit on your console is probably caused by something used on the leather handle area and around the switch panel, perhaps a leather conditioner?

Use nothing with oil in it, nothing that might tend to dissolve the coating, nothing but a tiny bit of water and perhaps (but only PERHAPS) a bit of very mild dish detergent.

Old 05-26-2024, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Mine is 8 years old now but for a few years it had been scuffed and looked poor, probably the only part of the car showing wear. So I thought to wrap it which werent as successful as I would have liked due to the lid sticking a bit opening and closing, so I bought hard covers from Amazon to go over the top. When I pulled the wrap off the rubbery coating came off the trip with it (eek) but that is all covered by the hard plastic covers, so it isnt noticeable.

The covers are designed for US cars (the bit that comes up against the transmission parts isnt symmetrical) so for my car it wasnt a perfect fit, but once it is in place you couldnt tell.
Wow, I'm shocked that a product this specific actually exists?!?!?! I guess it speaks to the likelihood that this "problem" is much wider than me ;-)

Interesting, thanks for posting that. I see it's available on amazon.ca.

Something to keep in mind if mine gets trashed. What I have here is pretty minor. The picture I took almost makes it look worse than it actually does in person.

Old 06-06-2024, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
The cupholder cover and adjacent area is coated. Be very gentle and careful in cleaning these particular parts. A soft cloth, dampened, and very light pressure is all that should be needed. The discoloured bit on your console is probably caused by something used on the leather handle area and around the switch panel, perhaps a leather conditioner?

Use nothing with oil in it, nothing that might tend to dissolve the coating, nothing but a tiny bit of water and perhaps (but only PERHAPS) a bit of very mild dish detergent.
Yeah, it looks like an area that you need to be gentle with. I certainly would have been, but this is what it looked like when I received the car. They must have done something to it when they were unwrapping the car. That is my best guess.

I did try water, water and dawn soap, and then the P&S interior cleaner. None of it would change the state of it.

Maybe a set of those after market covers for that area posted here in this thread would be a good option if it’s not something that can be easily addressed. Possibly.

To me it looks abraided. I wonder if taking a wet magic eraser to that area very lightly could take the shine off and blend it in a bit better. Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2024, 09:23 PM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
To me it looks abraided. I wonder if taking a wet magic eraser to that area very lightly could take the shine off and blend it in a bit better. Any thoughts?
magic eraser is a bad idea. It is abrasive so unless you plan to do all the plastic I wouldn’t

Old 06-06-2024, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor
magic eraser is a bad idea. It is abrasive so unless you plan to do all the plastic I wouldn’t
Okay, but wouldn’t the idea be to ‘rough up” the shiny area and bring it closer to matte again so it blends better with the original finish?

I’m definitely unsure, that is why I’m asking so thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-06-2024, 09:47 PM

So the area towards the gear shift in your car IS symmetrical? How weird if the US car is not. My Canadian spec car appears to be not symmetrical as depicted in the images for this product.

Is the matte black this product comes in pretty much identical to the original matte black from Jaguar?

Old 06-06-2024, 10:18 PM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Okay, but wouldn’t the idea be to ‘rough up” the shiny area and bring it closer to matte again so it blends better with the original finish?

I’m definitely unsure, that is why I’m asking so thanks for the feedback.
I guess if that’s your idea then go slow . Haven’t done it myself so don’t discount your idea I guess, just speaking from a gut reaction

Old 06-06-2024, 10:30 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Just a question in regards to how you guys are finding how well the plastics inside the F-type are wearing/cleaning? In my 2024 upon delivery (very recently) I saw what I thought was just a little bit of dirt/grease in that matte plastic area around the cup holders (just in front of the cup holders towards the leather surrounding the gear shift area).

Went to clean it up today thinking it would fix it up...Much to my surprise it did not...Tried some P&S Interior cleaner, and then a small bit of dawn soap and water and no luck...I'm not sure if there is something on there, or if it has just become a shinier area from some sort of light abrasion during the delivery process...I have no idea, and it's certainly not the end of the world, or anything that I would bother the dealer with at the end of the day...My experience says it will be made worse by them, or they will screw something else up while trying to fix that...Literally every time I have ever tried to have a dealer address something on a new vehicle they have always messed something else up on the vehicle, so I know when to cut my losses, quit while I'm ahead, etc ;-)

In any case, just thought I would ask about this in case anyone else has seen similar things with theirs, have a suggestion for attempting to clean/fix it, etc...The thought crossed my mind to try some goo gone, but I'm just concerned that could be too aggressive and make it worse...

This is me just going over the car and seeing what I can find for warts ;-) There's always a few. I'm just trying to determine if there's something on there, or if the original matte finish of the plastic has somehow been compromised. If anyone has any thoughts towards this I'm all ears.

Maybe another cleaner would do a better job, not sure...

This would bother me too. Why not have the dealer replace the trim piece that’s affected? At the end of the day if that isn’t satisfactory, you would at least then have two pieces. One you could experiment with repairing, and one as your final fitment piece.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (06-07-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pupilbone
This would bother me too. Why not have the dealer replace the trim piece that’s affected? At the end of the day if that isn’t satisfactory, you would at least then have two pieces. One you could experiment with repairing, and one as your final fitment piece.
Yeah, supposed to chat tomorrow about it…

It looks to me though that the little piece we’re talking about may not be replaceable. I have the impression that entire center console behind the gear shift is bought as one piece…From what I can see…

Old 06-06-2024, 11:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks to me though that the little piece we’re talking about may not be replaceable. I have the impression that entire center console behind the gear shift is bought as one piece…From what I can see…
​​​​​​
Is it this part: T2R16116PVJ? If it is, looks like it's available separately.

Old 06-07-2024, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by samit
​​​​​​
Is it this part: T2R16116PVJ? If it is, looks like it's available separately.
Oh okay, thanks for that. I had seen an entire center console being sold and had just assumed that’s how it had to be bought. Wow, what a crazy price. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Old 06-07-2024, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

So the area towards the gear shift in your car IS symmetrical? How weird if the US car is not. My Canadian spec car appears to be not symmetrical as depicted in the images for this product.

Is the matte black this product comes in pretty much identical to the original matte black from Jaguar?
Sorry, I meant ours isnt symmetrical either, but the long point is on the other side!

Old 06-07-2024, 05:20 AM

Sorry, I meant ours isnt symmetrical either, but the long point is on the other side!
Ah, gotcha…Lol, makes sense

And my question about the finish match? Does the matte finish match what was originally there?

Old 06-07-2024, 07:51 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Pry from cup holder area, once popped up slide backward, tunnel trim piece might need to be popped out a tiny bit.

The finish will be very hard to match, it’s a soft plastidip esque finish, guess jlr never learned they don’t last and turn sticky after all these years.

i coated mine in epoxy and looks okay.

Old 06-07-2024, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Pry from cup holder area, once popped up slide backward, tunnel trim piece might need to be popped out a tiny bit.

The finish will be very hard to match, it’s a soft plastidip esque finish, guess jlr never learned they don’t last and turn sticky after all these years.

I thought all this “sticky business” has been solved in the newest cars. The buttons for sure have, but you’re saying that this area in question is of a material that is just going to get sticky? Even on the brand new cars?

Geez, if that were to be the case (which would be surprising to me), I might as well just put those suggested covers on now and be done with it. I’m sure they will look fine if one takes the time to make sure they are aligned, properly installed, etc…

Old 06-07-2024, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray

Be interesting to see a picture of yours.

Quick Reply: Console plastics