F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console plastics

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 08:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
I thought all this “sticky business” has been solved in the newest cars. The buttons for sure have, but you’re saying that this area in question is of a material that is just going to get sticky? Even on the brand new cars?
AFAIK only the first couple model years used the soft-touch coating that turns sticky over time, and none of the newer parts are affected. I believe all car manufacturers stopped using this material after the problems were discovered. Some sticky plastics in my 2014 F-Type were replaced with new parts already in 2017 and the replacements don't have this issue.

Old 06-07-2024, 08:40 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by samit
AFAIK only the first couple model years used the soft-touch coating that turns sticky over time, and none of the newer parts are affected. I believe all car manufacturers stopped using this material after the problems were discovered. Some sticky plastics in my 2014 F-Type were replaced with new parts already in 2017 and the replacements don't have this issue.
Okay, that’s what I had thought.

Old 06-07-2024, 08:51 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts
Old 06-07-2024, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray

Okay, so you clearly disassembled that whole area and did that with the parts off the car. By the sounds of it you did not need to disturb the gear shift and the leather surround for it much at all.

Thanks for posting.

Old 06-07-2024, 09:31 AM

I think the formulation has changed but the touch stayed the same, po of my car weren’t kind to the interior, it was all scratched and almost peeling.

It’s all snapped on and not hard to take off, you don’t need to disassemble anything else! find the seam and stick something in there and pry, lemme know if you need more details.

Old 06-07-2024, 10:03 AM

I think the formulation has changed but the touch stayed the same, po of my car weren’t kind to the interior, it was all scratched and almost peeling.

It’s all snapped on and not hard to take off, you don’t need to disassemble anything else! find the seam and stick something in there and pry, lemme know if you need more details.
Appreciate that man. Depending on the direction I take I may just reach out. Sounds like it is straightforward, but as we know these manufacturers don’t always design things to be ;-0 They do some crazy stuff sometimes…

Old 06-07-2024, 12:42 PM

Np. To be honest, our cabin is pretty well put together, i have taken apart most of the surface stuff now installing head unit and speakers, the only thing i couldn’t put back was the steering column cover, it was spring loaded and refuse to go back.

The behind the seats speaker grille also do not sit right, but i think that’s probably my problem, and I’m fine without them.

Old 06-07-2024, 01:19 PM

Np. To be honest, our cabin is pretty well put together, i have taken apart most of the surface stuff now installing head unit and speakers, the only thing i couldn’t put back was the steering column cover, it was spring loaded and refuse to go back.

The behind the seats speaker grille also do not sit right, but i think that’s probably my problem, and I’m fine without them.
You sound brave ;-0

I’m not afraid to try pretty much anything, but ideally I’m not winging it. I would want clear info from TOPIx, or another equivalent source, before getting to adventurous. Doesn’t need to be step by step either, just some good general guidance that what I’m doing won’t snap clips or something…

Old 06-07-2024, 04:03 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

As a serial Audi owner, I've some experience with high quality interiors that sometimes have questionable finishes on common touch points. I'd put the cupholder area on my F Type in that category. Otherwise, I'd give the interior an easy 10 for durability and wear (go look at a high mileage F Type to validate). Hell, for that matter, given the state of interior design these days, I'm perfectly happy with the interior from a style and function perspective too. In my case, after trying over the course of five years to gently coax the area back to standard, I finally just went carbon fiber. I found some inexpensive parts on ebay and dry fitted them to see if they would pass muster. For me, they did and then some (I realize some won't agree...that's OK). I then followed up with a surround for the gear shift...I like that too (obviously).

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by YRS
As a serial Audi owner, I've some experience with high quality interiors that sometimes have questionable finishes on common touch points. I'd put the cupholder area on my F Type in that category. Otherwise, I'd give the interior an easy 10 for durability and wear (go look at a high mileage F Type to validate). Hell, for that matter, given the state of interior design these days, I'm perfectly happy with the interior from a style and function perspective too. In my case, after trying over the course of five years to gently coax the area back to standard, I finally just went carbon fiber. I found some inexpensive parts on ebay and dry fitted them to see if they would pass muster. For me, they did and then some (I realize some won't agree...that's OK). I then followed up with a surround for the gear shift...I like that too (obviously).

It looks good dude. I would go matte carbon myself, but to each their own.

The piano black I have around the gear shift will be a nightmare. Perhaps I should look at doing that area too like you have.

Old 06-07-2024, 04:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YRS
I found some inexpensive parts on ebay and dry fitted them to see if they would pass muster. For me, they did and then some (I realize some won't agree...that's OK). I then followed up with a surround for the gear shift...I like that too (obviously).
That looks great! Considering Jaguar's extortionate prices for some of the replacement trim parts and the fact that some of them are a bit of a pain to replace, I'm considering going the same route for the cupholder area.

Old 06-07-2024, 04:09 PM
YRS

Originally Posted by YRS

Make that Amazon, not ebay.

Daeiclru Real Carbon Fiber Car Central Control Storage Box Panel Sticker Compatible with Jaguar F-Type 2013-2022, Interior Center Console Panel Decorative Trim Accessories, 3PCS (Black)

samit (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 04:13 PM
YRS

Thanks, I initially looked at some higher end bits, but thought I'd try the $38 part as a lark, thinking if it doesn't work, nothing much lost.

Old 06-07-2024, 08:15 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by YRS

That looks really good! Is the finish on the carbon fibre application itself, durable (resistant to scratches and scuffs​​​​​​)?

Old 06-08-2024, 06:51 PM
YRS

It appears to be real carbon fiber with a nice and fairly thick layer clear layer. If feels sort of cushioned to the touch and so far hasn't scratched, scuffed, or marked up at all. When I dry fitted before installation, I was impressed with how well the pieces mirrored the OEM interior bits. So far, after about a year now, I could not be happier with the product.

Old 06-12-2024, 04:55 PM

I ended up buying the exact matte black cover set that was suggested in this thread. I installed the front piece towards the gear shift first...A bit tricky that one, but it turned out good. I then only dry fitted the back 2 pieces to see what it looked like. For now I've decided to just leave it with the first piece installed only? In person it actually looks pretty good. If someone didn't know I doubt they would even know the piece was added.

I may end up putting the other pieces in, but with just the one piece fitted I'm pretty satisfied...

Last edited by DMeister; 06-12-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Thunder Dump (06-12-2024)