F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Roll-over Hoops

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Roll-over Hoops

Do these roll-over hoops (the ones behind driver and passenger seats) provide structural support in event of a roll-over? Or is it for aesthetics like the Mazda MX-5?

Old 06-16-2020, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity8
Do these roll-over hoops (the ones behind driver and passenger seats) provide structural support in event of a roll-over? Or is it for aesthetics like the Mazda MX-5?
If the top of your head is well below the top of the hoop, they’ll provide some minimal protection, but they by no means meet the requirements of any sanctioning body for rollover protection. Better to keep your car shiny side up and rubber side down.

The following users liked this post:
STMPY (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 04:21 PM

Ah sorry I should be more clear, I am asking because I am thinking about taking the car onto a track. The track requires that the roll-over bars are structural (for example the newer Boxsters) and not cosmetic (for example the MX-5/Fiat 124).

Old 06-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Pretending for a minute that they are structurally sound, as @Unhingd mentioned they have extend above your head for them to be viable protection in a rollover. Check out the broomstick test to understand:

Old 06-16-2020, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Pretending for a minute that they are structurally sound, as @Unhingd mentioned they have extend above your head for them to be viable protection in a rollover. Check out the broomstick test to understand:

Thanks for sharing that. The track told me to contact Jaguar dealership to find out if these structures are attached to the chassis of the car or not.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Just to note, even broomstick fail rollover bar is better than nothing if you roll over. Especially old Miatas bad for failing the test, as you have to be able to close the top.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Seems to me all you need to pass the broomstick test is to adjust the seat to it's lowest possible setting, scrunch way down in the seat and wear a low profile helmet!

Old 06-17-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Just to note, even broomstick fail rollover bar is better than nothing if you roll over. Especially old Miatas bad for failing the test, as you have to be able to close the top.
I will agree that it's better than nothing. However in the spirit of the requirement and what it's protecting, it doesn't meet it since the head is still the highest point (i.e. first point of possible impact in a rollover).

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Seems to me all you need to pass the broomstick test is to adjust the seat to it's lowest possible setting, scrunch way down in the seat and wear a low profile helmet!
That only works if you are short enough. Some people are just too tall that you cannot lower seats enough.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:47 AM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the HPDE groups in my area has a list of vehicles with convertible roll bars that are functional and those that are not. Jaguar roll bars of this era are supposedly functional, i.e. they do not require a roll cage. There are no references so take it as you wish.

https://autointerests.com/vehicle-requirements

Old 06-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The headrests are bolted to unibody of vehicle. I dont think this would pass for integral roll-over hoops

Mahjik (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

So for the rest of us convertible owners who do not race, will the rollover bars protect my unprotected head in case of rollover?
Assuming my head is lower the the bars (haven't measured yet)...

Last edited by NavyBlue; 06-17-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
So for the rest of us convertible owners who do race, will the rollover bars protect my unprotected head in case of rollover?
Assuming my head is lower the the bars (haven't measured yet)...
Based on what was posted by Rummy? Not likely. My old organization keeps a list of approved convertibles and they do get manufacturer statements for them for rollover protection:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...k9i3xSAVtI/pub

EDIT: It's also not only the rear portion behind the driver. The windshield frame usually needs some structural safety as well which is how some of the other cars get by.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:28 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

When purchasing the car my salesman told me that there was substantial effort into reinforcing the windshield for rollover protection..

Salesman talk?

What he said.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:58 PM

So with flimsy cloth top down, the windshield + rollover bar should provide adequate protection in a rollover...?

Old 06-17-2020, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

So with flimsy cloth top down, the windshield + rollover bar should provide adequate protection in a rollover...?
Yes, but clarifying "proper roll bar or roll hoops".

Old 06-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Yes, but clarifying "proper roll bar or roll hoops".
Windshield + factory rollover hoops = rollover protection...?

Old 06-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Windshield + factory rollover hoops = rollover protection...?
Since the factory hoops are just bolted on, they would not pass for any track organizations which enforce rollover protection. There are track organizations who do not enforce rollover protection. However, be careful with some of those organizations that run more loose events as they may also not provide track services (i.e. like car tows or onsite first aid). For example, if you run out of gas on a track and have to get towed off, if the organizer didn't pay for tow service as part of the event then you as the driver have to pay for that tow.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:13 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Given the regulations In the US I would tend to think convertibles would be required that those roll bars would be an actual safety Item and not for looks.
I also have a hard time believing Jaguar would go to the added expense of adding these and attaching them to the unibody if they were not somewhat functional.

Just because an item is bolted don't make it a weak connection. I am quite sure their engineers did ton's of Finite element analysis (FEA)
on these cars. Also before you can conclude these are not functional you need to look at how they actually attach to the unibody
(additional mating features) and how that stress is distributed under all conditions(crash types). These along with the strength of the windscreen frame were more then likely considered.
That"s just my opinion based on 40 years working in the engineering field.

Last edited by 2004XJ8; 06-18-2020 at 06:16 AM.
NavyBlue (06-19-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 07:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
... These along with the strength of the windscreen frame were more than likely considered.
Possibly explains the complaints from people about the thickness of the A pillars ....

Old 06-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
Given the regulations In the US I would tend to think convertibles would be required that those roll bars would be an actual safety Item and not for looks.
I also have a hard time believing Jaguar would go to the added expense of adding these and attaching them to the unibody if they were not somewhat functional.

Just because an item is bolted don't make it a weak connection. I am quite sure their engineers did ton's of Finite element analysis (FEA)
on these cars. Also before you can conclude these are not functional you need to look at how they actually attach to the unibody
(additional mating features) and how that stress is distributed under all conditions(crash types). These along with the strength of the windscreen frame were more then likely considered.
That"s just my opinion based on 40 years working in the engineering field.
Well, having been in the racing/competition field for 20+ years, I can tell you that the majority of convertibles do not have structurally integrated rollover protection from the manufacturer. I'm a former Chief Instructor for NASA and I've had my fair share of telling drivers their cars don't meet the requirements (and that is coming from the manufacturers). Take a look at the list I posted above as those are known cars that have full rollover protection off the showroom floor.

But yes, I did mention in post #12 about the windshield frame. To your point, it does take a lot more testing than looking at a photo. While it's been a while since I've been in a F-Type vert, I don't recall the head rest hoops being of the proper crash bar diameter or material.

Quick Reply: Convertible Roll-over Hoops