F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak manifold cross pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant leak manifold cross pipe

Looks like I have the year before they replaced the coolant plastic pipes with the one piece type,I unfortunately am stuck with the seemed pipes.
So I did develop a leak in the manifold cross pipe at the rear of the engine. ( 2017 S model)
Luckily I have the CPO warranty, so it’s covered.
I asked the advisor if I should consider replacing all the seemed pipes during this process, since I would save labor charges (I assume)?
He said they are in different areas and there wouldn’t be any labor savings, but he would give me an estimate tomorrow.

Do I get them replaced now at my cost, or wait till they leak and repair under warranty?
I currently have 50k kilometers.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Old 11-15-2022, 09:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The latest revision of the rear heater coolant manifold still has a seam, and I'm pretty sure they can replace it without removing the supercharger, which explains the difference in labor cost. If the pipes under the supercharger are not leaking, I think I would personally wait with the replacement unless they offer you a great deal on the labor.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:46 PM

Didn’t realize it still has a seem. That part is nowhere to be found in Canada, have to use the Land Rover equivalent.
thanks for your reply

Old 11-15-2022, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Diorwing
Didn’t realize it still has a seem. That part is nowhere to be found in Canada, have to use the Land Rover equivalent.
thanks for your reply
Did you try your Jaguar dealer? Mine (Jaguar Victoria) provided that part to me last year - no problem.m

Old 11-16-2022, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by samit
The latest revision of the rear heater coolant manifold still has a seam, and I'm pretty sure they can replace it without removing the supercharger, which explains the difference in labor cost. If the pipes under the supercharger are not leaking, I think I would personally wait with the replacement unless they offer you a great deal on the labor.
This question - does the SC need to come off to replace that water manifold - has bugged me for years, so just now I had a good squiz at mine.
The manifold and it's mounting bolts are clearly visible at the back of the engine block and both the manifold and the bolts are clear of the supercharger and it's coolant jackets, so it looks to me like it can be done without having to remove the SC. But it would still be a right royal PITA to do with all the symposer gubbins and other plumbing and wiring in the way, there is very little room back there.
But that is on my V6, I have a sneaking suspicion that the V8 could be different/worse as the SC and coolant jackets are longer with all that extra length at the rear, so maybe on a V8 the SC does need to come off?
If the SC does need to come off to replace that coolant manifold on a V8 then it would make perfect sense to get the front coolant pipes (and others) replaced "while you are in there".

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Yes it would be interesting to know if Jaguar dealers remove the SC to do the rear water manifold because as OzXFR says it IS possible but I don't think that that's the proper way to repair it. Plus there is a number of failure prone plastic parts that can ALL be changed at once if the SC is removed.

So I think it's false economy to only replace that rear water manifold. What the car needs is a new water pump ( Part #3909), the 2 big plastic tubes replaced with the Aluminum lifetime ones, Replace the WP to oil cooler plastic tube with the Al. aftermarket part and also swap the rear water manifold which unfortunately is still plastic and then change the SC oil.

Oh and get rid of the Symposer since it's all in that area too!

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
djyankees31 (11-16-2022), Therock88 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 10:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
But that is on my V6, I have a sneaking suspicion that the V8 could be different/worse as the SC and coolant jackets are longer with all that extra length at the rear, so maybe on a V8 the SC does need to come off?
On my V8, with the symposer removed, there should be enough room to replace the coolant manifold without removing the SC. It's not going to be fun, obviously, so it will be interesting to hear what kind of quotes the OP will get.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If the SC does need to come off to replace that coolant manifold on a V8 then it would make perfect sense to get the front coolant pipes (and others) replaced "while you are in there".
Agreed. If the SC needs to come off then it's best to replace everything at the same time. The parts cost is minimal compared to labor at that point.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:10 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Diorwing
thanks for your reply
What's the part number?

Old 11-18-2022, 09:30 AM

Picked up the Ftype yesterday and they did NOT have to remove the SC to access the manifold coolant pipe, so changing all the front end seemed pipes would not have been cost effective.
The part number was AJ 814 53. (Jaguar)
and they used the Land Rover equivalent part #LR 122710
Jaguar part not available in Canada and no eta

samit (11-18-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Maybe Jaguar AJ814053?

Yes it looks like the smaller blower on the V-6 is shorter so more room between the back of the SC and the fire wall compared to the V-8. It's easy to see by looking at the rear water manifolds for both engines.
On the V-6 it has long runners from the engine to the manifold.

But the V-8 version is WAY shorter showing how little room there is at the back of the engine on the V-8 cars.

Exactly the same part but the connections to the various engines are different. Note the V-6 uses 3 bolts per flange but the V-8 only uses 2 bolts.

samit (11-19-2022)