F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant loss at backof engine in the intake area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Coolant loss at backof engine in the intake area?

So I was driving todayand got a low coolant warning. Decided to get to a gas station down that was within a quarter mile and add coolant, when suddenly the dash lit up and warned of overheating. Luckily I was able to pull over right away, and fount coolant leaking outof the back of the motor near the intake. Any ideas? See the picture attached.

Had the car towed to JLR in Torrance, but it will take them 2 days to get to it.

Are threre fittings under there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by 17jag; 07-17-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Leaking from that area is probably from a crack in the coolant pipe which runs under the back of the supercharger, a well known problem on older V8 (AJ133) SC engines, and the V6 (AJ126) SC has the same coolant pipe.
Unfortunately it's a SC off job to replace so lots of labour cost but you should still be covered by the warranty.
Also, what's with the green fluid I can see in a couple of spots, especially sitting in the bottom of the 2 cm x 2 cm x 20 cm square tube under the Symposer pipe?
On most cars fluid of that colour would be coolant but all modern Jags take the "pink" coolant and I can see pink fluid stains at the back of the SC.
Or is the green appearance just a trick of the light and the photo?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

just went through this last week here's my thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-204195/page2/

haven't posted resolution notes just yet but it was the pipe under the supercharger -- took a full day of labor [out of warranty]. My water pump was also bad so we replaced that too. Wasn't a particularly cheap repair but not too bad either. I think it was under $2k total.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Default Coolant

I was wondering the same thing. It was definitely green coolant but what was left in the reservoir was pink. The car has been in for one service to the dealer so really not sure why there are two colors? I will bring that up with them. I have never added coolant myself.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Leaking from that area is probably from a crack in the coolant pipe which runs under the back of the supercharger, a well known problem on older V8 (AJ133) SC engines, and the V6 (AJ126) SC has the same coolant pipe.
Unfortunately it's a SC off job to replace so lots of labour cost but you should still be covered by the warranty.
Also, what's with the green fluid I can see in a couple of spots, especially sitting in the bottom of the 2 cm x 2 cm x 20 cm square tube under the Symposer pipe?
On most cars fluid of that colour would be coolant but all modern Jags take the "pink" coolant and I can see pink fluid stains at the back of the SC.
Or is the green appearance just a trick of the light and the photo?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

These cars don't tolerate overheating that well, if you ever see a low coolant warning you have to immediately pull over and tow.

Also, if you ever got overheating warning, get engine compression test performed. Pay out of pocket if necessary.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the advice-why is it important to get a compression test, I literally pulled over within 50 feet of the warning? Also, the car only has 8200 miles. Is this normal for a low mileage car??
I have asked the dealer to see if they do this as well. Thanks

Originally Posted by SinF
These cars don't tolerate overheating that well, if you ever see a low coolant warning you have to immediately pull over and tow.

Also, if you ever got overheating warning, get engine compression test performed. Pay out of pocket if necessary.

Last edited by 17jag; 07-17-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 17jag
Is this normal for a low mileage car??
Not normal, but my last one had a leak at 83 miles (yes, 2 digits) that turned out to be a radiator defect - dealer was asked by factory to ship radiator back ASAP as it was “very rare”. For me it was just a few days with a loaner, so not a big deal.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 17jag
Also, the car only has 8200 miles. Is this normal for a low mileage car??
my dealer tech said it was incredibly common

Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

I would still be worried about the green coolant, it is not a good idea to mix green and pink (AKA red or orange) coolant.
Although it is odds on the dealership will drain, flush and refill the coolant as part and parcel of the warranty fix I would bring it to their attention anyway and insist on them doing this. I would also ask them if they could explain how green coolant got into the system!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Default Coolant color

Yes, absolutely. I sent them an email this morning asking how this could have happened, printed it out and put it in my file.

Thanks!

I would still be worried about the green coolant, it is not a good idea to mix green and pink (AKA red or orange) coolant.
Although it is odds on the dealership will drain, flush and refill the coolant as part and parcel of the warranty fix I would bring it to their attention anyway and insist on them doing this. I would also ask them if they could explain how green coolant got into the system!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/n...erent-colours/

"These days, there’s no real reason for a coolant manufacturer to use a certain colour, so it’s not easy to know what chemicals are in the coolant just by seeing whether it’s blue, green, yellow or orange."

Old 07-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Default Coolant

Originally Posted by Paul_59
https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/n...erent-colours/

"These days, there’s no real reason for a coolant manufacturer to use a certain colour, so it’s not easy to know what chemicals are in the coolant just by seeing whether it’s blue, green, yellow or orange."
Thanks for the info!

Old 07-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm not so sure about that. Coolant is colored for a reason - I think good sense would trust but verify. Green is traditionally GO5 coolant, red OAT. There are varying products that claim one is compatible with mixing vs the other. I used to be a coolant systems engineer and I would beg to differ based on real life reliability.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think our coolant has a UV-reactant dye in it. If that's the case, could it be that the coolant looks orange in the reservoir but with the sun beating down on it, you're seeing the fluorescence of the dye?

Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
I think our coolant has a UV-reactant dye in it. If that's the case, could it be that the coolant looks orange in the reservoir but with the sun beating down on it, you're seeing the fluorescence of the dye?
I think that is it - I've noticed similar when the reservoir leaked on my XJ.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmchao
I'm not so sure about that. Coolant is colored for a reason - I think good sense would trust but verify. Green is traditionally GO5 coolant, red OAT. There are varying products that claim one is compatible with mixing vs the other. I used to be a coolant systems engineer and I would beg to differ based on real life reliability.
I am reluctant to to disagree with professional unless I have read extensively on the subject.

There seem to be at least three categories of coolant IAT, OAT and HOAT.
I believe that all coolant is clear until the manufacturer adds a dye.

There doesn't seem to be any universal standard for these colours.

The G-05 you refer to is I believe HOAT yet I understand Chrysler version was orange and Ford version was yellow.

I stand by my original assertion that coolant colour cannot reliably identify coolant composition.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by hades281
I also believe this to be the case because my car has only been serviced at the dealer and never had the coolant system touched until two weeks ago when I had the issues -- mine also appeared green when outside the system in the sun.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Several things in this thread incorrect.
1 that heater pipe on the back of the engine does not require the sc to come off. It is not under the supercharge but bolted to the back of the block. The v8 held on with 4 bolts and the v6 with 6. Regardless theyre a pain in the **** to charge.
2 the orange or red depending how you r color pallet is the long life coolant jaguar has used for years. And in certain light conditions it does "appear" green. Its still the correct coolant regardless. And i love this coolant so much because it stains leaving deposits that dont go away when dry i use it in not only my jaguar, but nissan, and both chevys. And because i get it at work

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Don1954 (02-01-2019), uncheel (02-05-2019)
Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM
Banned

Agree with Brutal post.

FORD WSS-M97-B44-D is I believe
equivalent to the recommended
JAGUAR LAND ROVER STJLR.651.5003

see my earlier thread
F type coolant

Last edited by Paul_59; 07-23-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Several things in this thread incorrect.
1 that heater pipe on the back of the engine does not require the sc to come off. It is not under the supercharge but bolted to the back of the block. The v8 held on with 4 bolts and the v6 with 6. Regardless theyre a pain in the **** to charge.
2 the orange or red depending how you r color pallet is the long life coolant jaguar has used for years. And in certain light conditions it does "appear" green. Its still the correct coolant regardless. And i love this coolant so much because it stains leaving deposits that dont go away when dry i use it in not only my jaguar, but nissan, and both chevys. And because i get it at work
Yeah, sorry about that.
What I should have said was it is possible to replace that heater hose without removing the SC but a real pig of a job, and very much easier to do with the SC off and out of the way.
Many owners on the XF forum recommend that if/when the SC is taken off (to renew the coupler, repair, replace, whatever) that is a good time to also replace that rear coolant pipe before it starts leaking.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (07-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Coolant loss at backof engine in the intake area?