F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant reservoir 2020 R-Dynamic

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Coolant reservoir 2020 R-Dynamic

I was looking at the reservoir yesterday and noticed something odd. There is a connection at the top pointed forward that has nothing connected to it. it appears to have the ridge for a coolant tube. also, the reservoir was almost empty except for an inch or so at the bottom. The car had been parked in my garage for about a day. I had received no warnings and the gauge was normal. do I have a problem?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Yes, that outlet should have a hose attached....any sign of it hanging nearby? You should refill the reservoir with the correct (pink) coolant and monitor it. With the hose missing, the system is no longer sealed so you have been losing coolant. You do not want to run the danger of overheating.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Yes, that outlet should have a hose attached....any sign of it hanging nearby? You should refill the reservoir with the correct (pink) coolant and monitor it. With the hose missing, the system is no longer sealed so you have been losing coolant. You do not want to run the danger of overheating.
That's what I suspected and no loose tube anywhere. From my last two F-Type convertibles, I know that the gauge is an "average", so not a lot of warning of overheating. I'm guessing that the plunger at the bottom of the reservoir is stuck, so no indication of low coolant. I just bought the coupe a couple of weeks ago, and this should have been picked up in the "certification". I'll run by the Jaguar Dealer next week and get it handled. BYW, my coolant is orange.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by O'Dell
That's what I suspected and no loose tube anywhere. From my last two F-Type convertibles, I know that the gauge is an "average", so not a lot of warning of overheating. I'm guessing that the plunger at the bottom of the reservoir is stuck, so no indication of low coolant. I just bought the coupe a couple of weeks ago, and this should have been picked up in the "certification". I'll run by the Jaguar Dealer next week and get it handled. BYW, my coolant is orange.
The orange stuff is generally an (OAT) Organic Acid Technology coolant. The pink generally is (HOAT) or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology type coolant. The pH levels are different for different specifications and should not be mixed. Some coolant manufacturers don’t conform to the color coding so it is important to verify that whatever you use meets the WSS M97B44 specification (usually orange). The F-Type comes from the factory with orange coolant.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

This doesn't make sense, unless somehow some way some one removed the tube completely. We are talking about part # T2R5910, the expansion tank overflow tube, see this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2331606.
I twice had problems with the small tubes on the other end cracking/splitting and both times I lost coolant down to about 2" off the bottom of the reservoir, and both times the "low coolant" warning flashed up on the dash. So that's another oddity, you say the reservoir was almost empty yet you didn't get any low coolant warning. All very weird! Also you say the connection on the tank is "pointed forward", but on mine it points towards the engine ie into the engine bay not "forward" and I am 99% sure it would be the same on every V6 and V8 F-Type ever made. Or did you mean "forward" in the sense of looking at the coolant reservoir from the side of the car?
Lastly the correct spec coolant can be pink or red or orange and sometimes green, but most green coolant is the wrong type for these engines so you should avoid it.

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-25-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The orange stuff is generally an (OAT) Organic Acid Technology coolant. The pink generally is (HOAT) or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology type coolant. The pH levels are different for different specifications and should not be mixed. Some coolant manufacturers don’t conform to the color coding so it is important to verify that whatever you use meets the WSS M97B44 specification (usually orange). The F-Type comes from the factory with orange coolant.
I have been using pink coolant for the last four years with zero problems. Both brands I have used are OAT, although one is Si-OAT. Both brands say they meet the Ford/Jaguar spec and one brand says it meets Hybrid spec as well.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
This doesn't make sense, unless somehow some way some one removed the tube completely. We are talking about part # T2R5910, the expansion tank overflow tube, see this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2331606.
I twice had problems with the small tubes on the other end cracking/splitting and both times I lost coolant down to about 2" off the bottom of the reservoir, and both times the "low coolant" warning flashed up on the dash. So that's another oddity, you say the reservoir was almost empty yet you didn't get any low coolant warning. All very weird! Also you say the connection on the tank is "pointed forward", but on mine it points towards the engine ie into the engine bay not "forward" and I am 99% sure it would be the same on every V6 and V8 F-Type ever made. Or did you mean "forward" in the sense of looking at the coolant reservoir from the side of the car?
Lastly the correct spec coolant can be pink or red or orange and sometimes green, but most green coolant is the wrong type for these engines so you should avoid it.
There are two tube connectors - one runs to the engine and is larger and fabric coated, and the other is lower in the translucent part of the reservoir and points toward the front of the car. However, I just went out to the car and pushed a wire into the one I had referred to. It did not reach the open part of the reservoir so that problem is solved. But again, the level was definitely down below the small, round part of the reservoir where the sensor is located and I have not received any "low coolant" warnings. On that issue, I am not mistaken. The sensor is not and has not been reading low, so it must be stuck or inoperative.

I have not seen any coolant in my garage, and have not noticed any spillage anywhere I have parked, including the service drive at the dealer. I am still going to the dealer next week to have the sensor checked and to refill the reservoir. Since I didn't check the reservoir when I bought the car two weeks ago, the level could have been and probably was low then. If so,the dealer should have caught the problem when the car was certified.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

There are two tube connectors - one runs to the engine and is larger and fabric coated, and the other is lower in the translucent part of the reservoir and points toward the front of the car. However, I just went out to the car and pushed a wire into the one I had referred to. It did not reach the open part of the reservoir so that problem is solved. But again, the level was definitely down below the small, round part of the reservoir where the sensor is located and I have not received any "low coolant" warnings. On that issue, I am not mistaken. The sensor is not and has not been reading low, so it must be stuck or inoperative.

I have not seen any coolant in my garage, and have not noticed any spillage anywhere I have parked, including the service drive at the dealer. I am still going to the dealer next week to have the sensor checked and to refill the reservoir. Since I didn't check the reservoir when I bought the car two weeks ago, the level could have been and probably was low then. If so,the dealer should have caught the problem when the car was certified.
Gotcha. I had never looked for or seen that bottom hose from the coolant reservoir before but now I have looked for it I can see it plain as day. A short thick piece of rubber hose about 6" long coming out of the bottom of the reservoir into an alu pipe then another alu pipe under that, those alu pipes then snake around to the front of the engine then back again to the firewall, I'm guessing they are heater pipes. It seems you are missing that initial 6" length of rubber hose.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts