F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooled Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cooled Seats

Were the cooled seats available with the F-type? Searching for an F-Type to add to our F-Pace and being in Las Vegas, cooled seats are almost a must. The operation and verification of heated seats is pretty straight forward, but I have not found anything on F-types and cooled seats. It looks to me that if it has it, one would turn the knob right to heat the seat and turn it left to cool, is this correct? There is a very good chance that the car I purchase will be out of state so I want to verify cooled seats before buying and/or shipping.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadorange
Were the cooled seats available with the F-type? Searching for an F-Type to add to our F-Pace and being in Las Vegas, cooled seats are almost a must. The operation and verification of heated seats is pretty straight forward, but I have not found anything on F-types and cooled seats. It looks to me that if it has it, one would turn the knob right to heat the seat and turn it left to cool, is this correct? There is a very good chance that the car I purchase will be out of state so I want to verify cooled seats before buying and/or shipping.
Cooled seats were an option. You use the same control that you do for heated seats, as you suspect. It's not obvious from pictures and it wasn't a common feature on the car.

Where I live gets above 110 in the summer and I haven't needed cooled seats as the car is so small, the A/C cools in down quickly. On the very hot days when it's in the sun, I just remote start it and it's nice and cool when I get to it.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the quick response! I would be fine without, but it is an option my wife would like. Any chance the SVR's had it standard? That could be a way for me to get her to OK another SVR :-)

Old 12-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Exactly as you say, push in the climate knob and turn it left to choose among three different levels of cooling. My impression is that the option is pretty common among high spec cars. Could even be that cooling always comes with the top spec performance seats that the SVR has (or does anyone on here have performance seats without cooling?).

Anyhow don't expect too much of them. Especially when it's really hot and you need them most the cooling tends to be pretty weak. Same thing in my F-Type and in my previous two Jags. I guess the F-Pace has the same type of cooling as the F-Type so you know what to expect.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Exactly as you say, push in the climate knob and turn it left to choose among three different levels of cooling. My impression is that the option is pretty common among high spec cars. Could even be that cooling always comes with the top spec performance seats that the SVR has (or does anyone on here have performance seats without cooling?).

Anyhow don't expect too much of them. Especially when it's really hot and you need them most the cooling tends to be pretty weak. Same thing in my F-Type and in my previous two Jags. I guess the F-Pace has the same type of cooling as the F-Type so you know what to expect.
It may be a year thing. It wasn't an option in 2016, but the controls were clearly designed to allow for them. I do have performance seats without the cooling, but mine is a 2016.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

If you have the heated/cooled seat option the seat leather is perforated to let the air out. They work with Peltier cells and fans, unlike the heated only option that, AIUI, uses a pad with heating elements.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:17 PM

That certainly makes sense. I don't know if I have seen perforated seats on a S or and R, maybe it is only an SVR thing.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:38 PM

Good point, being perforated should be a good hint about the cooling. I've seen a fair few S with them. Mine's a loaded S and has them... a bit of a close up of what the perforation looks like.

The following users liked this post:
walko789 (04-26-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Good point, being perforated should be a good hint about the cooling. I've seen a fair few S with them. Mine's a loaded S and has them... a bit of a close up of what the perforation looks like.

thank you for the great pic. It will be 100 times easier to check that way.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:13 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Another example ...

Old 12-03-2021, 08:14 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm probably wrong about this, but when I was looking at SVR's in 2017 I didn't see an option for cooled seats. Then, in 2018 the cooled seats were available. I also ordered a 2016 R and cooled seats were not an option, but my 2019 R did have them. My understanding was that they started offering this option in 2018.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:03 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Do our cars all come standard with heated seats? I am not sure I have them or can't find them on my 2016 R.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

It was an $800 option on my 2020 SVR. Portion of window sticker attached.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:40 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

i ordered the heated and cooled seats option on my 2021 F Type. I used the cooled seats function several times over the summer when crossing the desert where the outside temperature gauge showed 108 to 112 degrees. The feature helps keep your shirt from sticking to your back from sweating when used in conjunction with the A/C.

I plan on trying out the heated seats soon when the morning temperatures are close to freezing. With my other vehicles that have had heated seats, I found that I turned them on for about 10-15 minutes and then switched them off again once the cabin was nice and toasty from the heater. I also have the heated steering wheel and found in my other cars that is really nice on those cold mornings, it heats up rapidly and then I set it on low temp for the rest of the drive. I'm sure I'll use that on my Jag too.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 12-05-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:00 AM
BHF
Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 2018 base has them

My 2018 base model has cooled seats. So I guess it was just the way the car was optioned. I do have the Windsor leather upgrade. Maybe the cooling came with that?

Old 12-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Received 108 Likes on 44 Posts

Worth noting that just because the seats are perforated doesn't mean heating and cooling is there - my UK-spec MY21 has Performance Seats and the leather is perforated, but I specced the car without the heated/cooled option. I suspect it is a lot cheaper for Jaguar to spec one type of leather (perforated) in each colour, so the seats themselves will look identical. Looking at the 'build your Jag' site at the moment, you can see that all the leather options are perforated irrespective of choosing heated/cooled.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
I'm probably wrong about this, but when I was looking at SVR's in 2017 I didn't see an option for cooled seats. Then, in 2018 the cooled seats were available. I also ordered a 2016 R and cooled seats were not an option, but my 2019 R did have them. My understanding was that they started offering this option in 2018.
That sounds right. They were definitely not available in 2016.

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
Do our cars all come standard with heated seats? I am not sure I have them or can't find them on my 2016 R.
In 2016 heated seats were part of the "Premium + Vision Pack." The temperature control knobs also control the seat heaters. Push on it and it will show a seat graphic. Rotate clockwise to go through the three settings.

Old 12-04-2021, 11:06 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I also have the heated steering wheel and found in my other cars that is really nice on those cold mornings, it heats up rapidly and then I set it on low temp for the rest of the drive. I'm sure I'll use that on my Jag too.
I don't think (or at least I haven't found) there's a way to adjust the steering wheel heat - it's on or off. I have found that it starts out very warm and then seems to back itself off so does not get overly hot. And remote starting 5 minutes before getting in the car gets it nicely warmed up ready for you on a chilly morning.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cluck
Worth noting that just because the seats are perforated doesn't mean heating and cooling is there - my UK-spec MY21 has Performance Seats and the leather is perforated, but I specced the car without the heated/cooled option. I suspect it is a lot cheaper for Jaguar to spec one type of leather (perforated) in each colour, so the seats themselves will look identical. Looking at the 'build your Jag' site at the moment, you can see that all the leather options are perforated irrespective of choosing heated/cooled.
Every day is a school day. Good to have that cleared then. Apart from actually testing the functions in the car I guess the best way (although it's still not 100% reliable) is to get a dealer print the built sheet of the car from topix. Just sucks that you can't look up car specs in topix yourself like one could up until the other year.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by scm
I don't think (or at least I haven't found) there's a way to adjust the steering wheel heat - it's on or off. I have found that it starts out very warm and then seems to back itself off so does not get overly hot. And remote starting 5 minutes before getting in the car gets it nicely warmed up ready for you on a chilly morning.
This. There are no temp settings for the wheel - it's just on or off. Always loved the heated steering wheel feature and also had it in my previous two XFs. I never found it to get too hot in the F-Type while the heating really could be overly hot after a while in the XFs.

Quick Reply: Cooled Seats