F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 - finally a Corvette worth a look.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
Excuse me sir! I attributed the reek to uncured fiberglass- it sure smelled like it. In any event it positively reeked, and before we got in the sales person said " I just love the smell". Typical sales person taking a negative and trying to make it a positive. To me it confirms that 3 people smelled the strong odor.
LOL on the Sir part. There are a lot of uncured smells in new cars which have been come to be known as that "new car smell". it's usually related to the upholstery & plastics that are used on the dash and other interior parts and the vette still has a LOT of that "plastic y" look and feel far more so than the Jag which is layers in leather on most every touchable surface as we have the optional $2,200 leather upgrade package but yeah, I get the idea.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you that lots of new cars exhibit a smell. Immediately after sitting in the 2018 Corvette Grand Sport, we sat in a 2018 Cayman GTS. The doors actually opened (the Corvette has electrically operated doors - and the battery was dead, requiring access via the hatch and pulling a cable to open the driver door.)
When sitting in the Cayman, my wife remarked "no smell". Quality does count, and that's why I count the Corvette out.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Excuse me sir! I attributed the reek to uncured fiberglass- it sure smelled like it. In any event it positively reeked, and before we got in the sales person said " I just love the smell". Typical sales person taking a negative and trying to make it a positive. To me it confirms that 3 people smelled the strong odor.
Don't take offense at nda's comments. He's our resident curmudgeon and treats everyone that way. You'll learn to appreciate him for it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-17-2018 at 04:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Mbourne (09-18-2018), ndabunka (09-17-2018), tberg (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Here's the culprits:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vola...ganic_compound

leather off-gassing (cows or bulls if you're in a Bentley) smell better in their afterlife then plastic off-gassing. When cows are alive they usually can out stink even the cheapest plastic.

Last edited by jaguny; 09-17-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny

Here's the culprits:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vola...ganic_compound

leather off-gassing (cows or bulls if you're in a Bentley) smell better in their afterlife then plastic off-gassing. When cows are alive they usually can out stink even the cheapest plastic.
You have identified a culprit. But the question remains: Why does a new Cayman GTS not stink, but a new Corvette reeks? You will find 'stink' comments on the Corvette forums.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Rumors are that it won't offer a manual gearbox. If true, Corvette is dead to me.
concur...generally speaking, no third pedal and I won't even waste my time figuring true costs to make an offer. This is the reason that the XE fell off my radar to replace the X-Type as a daily driver...the States have still never gotten the manual version. The X is worth having precisely BECAUSE of the manual transmission...

Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Crap article, no real information but generally I like both the concept and look of a mid engined C8.....we'll have to see what it ends up being from a looks and quality perspective; I have no doubt performance will be excellent

Dave

Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I've truly enjoyed my C5 & C7 Corvette verts before my current F type R vert.
So if there's no more V8 in the F type in 3-4 yrs, guess I'm going back to this C8 mid-engine Corvette...

Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Had '94, '98' and '03 Vettes. No terrible smell that I can recall. Test drove the current generation a while back and...peewwweeee! Sales guy said it was the glue that held certain interior parts together. Whatever, it was funky and smelled like a health hazard.

The stinkiest cars I've ever owned were Vipers. Had an '04 vert, '08 Vert, and '09 ACR coupe over time. All of them had interiors that smelled of burnt popcorn. It was an enduring smell that never really went away completely. They also stunk up the garage as they cooled down after a vigorous drive. It was an odd mix of funk from the exhaust system...a mix of hair salon chemicals and hot I Don't Know What. The whole garage would reek.

The rendering of the mid-engine Vette looks sharp. However, I don't think I'd give up my F Type for it. I do fill with lust every time I walk up to it and I believe it will be an enduring love affair.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

You have identified a culprit. But the question remains: Why does a new Cayman GTS not stink, but a new Corvette reeks? You will find 'stink' comments on the Corvette forums.
i would guess that European environmental standards limit the VOC content of their materials to a much greater extent than the US auto industry.. They may not allow much. The building material industry has and is becoming more restrictive but the Europeans led the way much sooner. Cars could be the same is my guess. More leather helps.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
I've truly enjoyed my C5 & C7 Corvette verts before my current F type R vert.
So if there's no more V8 in the F type in 3-4 yrs, guess I'm going back to this C8 mid-engine Corvette...
You do know that the C8 will NOT be available with a V8 either, right? Current design REQUIRES a v6. There is a rumor that they "may" pair an electric motor with it but no v8's are planned for the C8 at this time. That is how they are going to continue selling the C7 as the only V8 will be available will be in the front engine variant.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
You do know that the C8 will NOT be available with a V8 either, right? Current design REQUIRES a v6. There is a rumor that they "may" pair an electric motor with it but no v8's are planned for the C8 at this time. That is how they are going to continue selling the C7 as the only V8 will be available will be in the front engine variant.
I wonder if Chevrolet changed the "current design" in the interval as base engine turns out to be a naturally aspirated V8.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
According to the unveiling last night it will retain the V8- 490 hp naturally aspirated with 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. The base car starts at $60 000. I found the C7 a cartoonish transformer design but this new one appeals to me. Sure it has design elements from other mid engine cars but I finally think it will bring the respect they desperately have been looking for.

Great performance at a bargain super car price. Not giving up my R anytime soon but it is certainly something to consider in a couple of years.

I also applaud them for the radical departure in design knowing some die hard customers won’t like it.

My guess is this new model will set sales records.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
That video is one of the worst "auto-review" reports of all time. The person blabs on about a car that hasn't even been fully specified yet. B-S'ing about his wishes, hopes and aspirations for a car that he has never even driven. Yet he waxes lyrically about all of these imaginary performance numbers, features etc.

What a complete tool of a moron! A absolute copacetic imbecile.
I cannot believe someone (an editor) watched that video and said: "Yep, it's ready to go...." I also liked the middle school photoshopped photos and the ribbon-cutting ceremony still-shot - very informative....

Old 07-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If, heaven forbid, I ever have to replace my F-Type, the C8 would certainly be under strong consideration. The only thing that would kill that thought is the same reason I would never buy a new F-Type....no MT.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think Corvette engineers forgot why most people buy a Corvette - nostalgia.

There is an old guy that works in the same building, he has C7 ZR1 with a manual gearbox. He parks nearby, so I talk to him on occasion. He is into his 60s. That C7 is his dream car, but only because he can't afford astronomical prices a split window would require. He only drives his car on clear days and never tracks it. In that regard, actual track performance is 100% unimportant to him . What is important to him is "like in the old days", and that includes manual gearbox and exhaust note.

With this in mind, I suspect C8 will be a flop despite being a highly competitive track machine and an all-around better car. C8 doesn't have a manual gearbox option and too different from any other Corvette to appeal nostalgia sale.

Last edited by SinF; 07-19-2019 at 08:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Arne (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I think Corvette engineer forgot why most people buy Corvette.

There is an old guy that works in the same building, he has C7 ZR1 with a manual gearbox. He parks nearby, so I talk to him on occasion. He is into his 60s. That C7 is his dream car, but only because he can't afford split window, he only drives his car on clear days and never tracks it. In that regard, actual track performance is 100% unimportant to him. What is important to him is "like in the old days", and that includes manual gearbox.

With this in mind, I suspect C8 will be a flop despite being a highly competitive track machine. It doesn't have a manual and too different from any other Corvette to be a nostalgia sale.
Good points. I just want to say that if does have a top speed north of 200mph then they really hit it out of the water. Supercar looks and performance for roughly $60k? That is something no other make pulled off in the past that I know of. Maybe they'll draw more younger buyers who never considered a Corvette?

Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

With this in mind, I suspect C8 will be a flop despite being a highly competitive track machine and an all-around better car. C8 doesn't have a manual gearbox option and too different from any other Corvette to appeal nostalgia sale.
At some point, they have to look at the younger generation. It's not common that older men continue to buy sports cars into the 70's and above. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but that it's not common. My father is a huge Corvette fan. He's owned every generation Corvette from the mid-70's up to the C6. He just got too old to be trying to get in and out of sports cars every day. However, I do know a few men in the 80's that still have sports cars and still drive them on the track. It's just not that common.

Chevy was going to have to start looking towards the future and hooking the younger generation. Nostalgia is great, but that is only for specific generations and those sales will only last so long.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I think Corvette engineers forgot why most people buy a Corvette - nostalgia.

There is an old guy that works in the same building, he has C7 ZR1 with a manual gearbox. He parks nearby, so I talk to him on occasion. He is into his 60s. That C7 is his dream car, but only because he can't afford astronomical prices a split window would require. He only drives his car on clear days and never tracks it. In that regard, actual track performance is 100% unimportant to him . What is important to him is "like in the old days", and that includes manual gearbox and exhaust note.

“Old guy” is the very reason I politely disagree and think it will be a sales success. One of the reasons manuals are almost extinct is because the younger generations and soon to be Vette buyers no longer buy them. GM marketers know this and
that is who they are marketing too. Mid engine, Ferrari like shape was intentional as they want the “Euro” market. Same strategy they did with Cadillac (and why Lincoln is largely irrelevant) and has shown success.

Many of us F Type owners did not seriously consider a Vette even though it’s a great bargain. I’m guessing many of us including me will cross shop it in the future.

My my humble opinion of course

The following 2 users liked this post by Fjmviper:
Burt Gummer (07-19-2019), DPelletier (07-23-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:57 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Corvette engineers forgot why most people buy a Corvette - nostalgia.... With this in mind, I suspect C8 will be a flop despite being a highly competitive track machine and an all-around better car. C8 doesn't have a manual gearbox option and too different from any other Corvette to appeal nostalgia sale.
I think it is a safe bet that they will sell them by the boatload; quite literally as it will be manufactured in both left hand drive and right hand drive.

I like manual cars as well but the reality is that the minority of customers actually put their money where their mouth is and purchase a manual when given a choice. Combining this with the fact that sports car sales are struggling these day, I can't blame manufacturers for cutting out the niche options. Rumor is that the launch of the car was delayed as aluminum castings were bending when 1000 hp was applied to them (in preparation for inevitable top of the line varients), so transmission durability may have also played a role.

As others have stated, catering to the nostalgia of an elderly fan base is obviously a losing proposition. When the C7 Corvette designers got rid of the classic round tailights of prior generations, there was an uproar from the classic design folks and yet I know often see a C7 on nearly every corner.

Corvette ubiquity is the sticking point for me. The C8 design is eyecatching now, but within a year of release I'll be seeing a dozen or more every day during my commute and the appeal will diminish. I am not an "exclusivity" kind of guy but it is nice than even several years after the F-types launch, I rarely see another one on the road so the beauty of the design still draws my eye and I don't see myself coming and going every day.

The following 3 users liked this post by Friscorays:
Burt Gummer (07-19-2019), DPelletier (07-23-2019), scm (07-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Corvette C8 - finally a Corvette worth a look.