F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 - finally a Corvette worth a look.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

0-60 at sub 3 sec seems very suspect to me for their base setup.
CRS

Old 07-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Hardly doubt the President would stand on stage and make the 0-60 claim if it were not true.

As for the C8 being a flop, my guess is it will break records in terms of sales and production. I do agree wholeheartedly that seeing one in two years on every drive down my block would be a little disheartening. Far from a snob, but I really like the fact that I rarely see another F-type even in a city as big as Portland. C8s will literally be everywhere. Hopefully the aftermarket - body trim kits, rims, etc will help people to try and give their vet a unique look.

Sorry but the C7 ZR1 is ugly AF, especially the front gapping vents - just nasty and cheezy. The C8 is by far the nicest looking Vet (70s onward) so far even with the fat rear and Camaro lights. That said, it isn't nearly as attractive as say a Huracan Evo, but it isn't $265k either.

It is understandable that many of us would be a little butt-hurt that a <$60k vet is quicker and possibly as fast or faster than the highest level trim/version of the F-Type (SVR). I can live with that since speed isn't my only criteria.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 07-19-2019 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tork Monster (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

0 to 60 MPH in sub 3 seconds was quoted for base engine plus performance exhaust; which is part of optional Z51 performance package. Instrumented independent tests will follow shortly so I doubt Chevrolet would be insane enough to throw out such an eye-opening and memorable stat on their years in the making halo project without being extremely confident that they can back it up.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Jay Leno addresses some of the topics under discussion here in his first look video. Car looks good in blue, but I would probably go for the orange.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Burt Gummer,
Whereas I'm not a great fan of the aesthetics of the C-7, insulting the C-8 by comparing it to any Lamborghini is not warranted. At least the Huracan is the least offensive design from Lamborghini in five decades, but it's certainly no beauty queen. I'd like to see the C8 in person before I pass judgement, but there is something about big mid-engined cars' design that I find alluring. I think it's the haunches behind the doors. As Tom Tjaarda described the design concept of the mid engine Pantera (50 years ago), he said, "...from the side that upsweep of the rear fender looks like the haunches of an animal getting set to pounce, you know it gives it strength." I think that all Jaguar owners are attracted to its cars because of those haunches, and I think the C8 will most likely wear them well, also. Can't wait to see the inside as well. Good for GM and Chevrolet for having the fortitude to bring on a major change to the legendary halo car.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
dvjag (07-30-2019), scm (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I like the look! Spy shots showed it was somewhat similar to other mid engined cars. Probably upgraded interior in preview but best looking in Corvette yet. Row of buttons is controversial but Porsche had this and it didn't hurt them. At $60k opening and maybe $70k nicely equipped it is the best performance buy. Vert is done like Ferrari , hardtop with buttresses . Will be impossible to get for at least a year, at least at sticker. Not every dealer gets it, must be a successful Corvette store.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Friscorays
I think it is a safe bet that they will sell them by the boatload; quite literally as it will be manufactured in both left hand drive and right hand drive.

I like manual cars as well but the reality is that the minority of customers actually put their money where their mouth is and purchase a manual when given a choice. Combining this with the fact that sports car sales are struggling these day, I can't blame manufacturers for cutting out the niche options. Rumor is that the launch of the car was delayed as aluminum castings were bending when 1000 hp was applied to them (in preparation for inevitable top of the line varients), so transmission durability may have also played a role.

As others have stated, catering to the nostalgia of an elderly fan base is obviously a losing proposition. When the C7 Corvette designers got rid of the classic round tailights of prior generations, there was an uproar from the classic design folks and yet I know often see a C7 on nearly every corner.

Corvette ubiquity is the sticking point for me. The C8 design is eyecatching now, but within a year of release I'll be seeing a dozen or more every day during my commute and the appeal will diminish. I am not an "exclusivity" kind of guy but it is nice than even several years after the F-types launch, I rarely see another one on the road so the beauty of the design still draws my eye and I don't see myself coming and going every day.
It appears that you are, Lol. Nothing wrong with that, btw.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Friscorays
I like manual cars as well but the reality is that the minority of customers actually put their money where their mouth is and purchase a manual when given a choice. Combining this with the fact that sports car sales are struggling these day, I can't blame manufacturers for cutting out the niche options. Rumor is that the launch of the car was delayed as aluminum castings were bending when 1000 hp was applied to them (in preparation for inevitable top of the line varients), so transmission durability may have also played a role.
What is more accurate is that very few people are willing to spec a vehicle and have to wait months on end to get their vehicle. And since most dealers won't bother stocking a manual vehicle, this is what is required for those of us who WANT and will NOT purchase without a third pedal. This holds just as true with trucks as it does other vehicles.

I had a line, for example, on a truck due in which had a manual tranny...got there the day the truck was due in and it was already unloaded AND sold! The third-pedal vehicles will sell almost as soon as they have been taken off the transport provided the dealership management didn't screw up with loading them with a bunch of crappy crap crap options.

Add in that some people will be wary of ordering a vehicle when they cannot even test-drive something with the powertrain combination and it decreases the number of people willing to plunk a deposit down and twiddle their thumbs. It would really SUCK to spec something and then get a crappy clutch feel...sure you can back out of the deal but you will be out the deposit.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
It would really SUCK to spec something and then get a crappy clutch feel.
You mean like with the first MT F-Types?

Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Apparently a full loaded Stingray with every option, inc inside/outside carbon is about $78k.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:11 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Apparently a full loaded Stingray with every option, inc inside/outside carbon is about $78k.
$78K is not a bad price.
My C7 vert, with Z51 & mid-level loaded 2LT stickered $76K
so if I can get same optioned C8, but maybe with a $10K discount in 3 yrs, I'm golden....