Sponsored by:

Cosmetic issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 08:04 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
There's a link somewhere on here. May have been in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...mation-101906/
Maybe Im blind but there wasn't anything there unless it is buried down the replies..

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Ray Ray,

Get the Workshop Manual from my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d52ciochjn...anual.pdf?dl=0

Although it's for a MY 2015 RHD V6S coupe 95% of it applies to LHD and V8 including the bits you need.
Thanks I found it through searching and having a hard time finding the part I need. Here in the manual it is simply removing 2 screws on the bracket, but there doesn't seem to be enough space to work with without removing the gauge cluster first, and the pic below it depicts 4 screws on top, I think those are below the cover?

I also stumbled upon therock's gauge cluster removal excerpt here, but I'm also having a hard time understanding it, do you simply pull out the binnacles after step 4?

Searching through the pdf also results in hundreds of key words, arggggg

Last edited by Ray Ray; 05-15-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:38 PM

Okay uodate, it is a HUGE pita to get this thing off.

First, gauge cluster had to come out, that was easy, remove the 2 screws on the buttom, remove the top screw, remove the spring loaded cover right above steering column, wiggle it out of the way, no need to disconnect any wiring.

Second, you now have access to the 2 side screws on the cover itself, remove them, there are 4 more screws on the top as shown in this pic, you remove them by access from the empty space you just created by removing the gauge cluster. BUT, BUT, BUT!!!! There is a AC duct right underneath the foremost 2 screws, I'm sure you can get them out with the right tool, but I didn't and I stopped here. If I did manage to remove all the screws the cover should be one simple lift away from removal.

Now that's not even the hardest part, remember the spring loaded cover? HUGE HUGE pain to put it back on, I managed it at the end but I think I used too much force and it's not entirely right.

My gauge cluster also wasn't going back the same way, the bottom screws didn't align 100% but it was enough, then the top screw wouldn't screw in without apply a lot of force, so I just left it out and see of any rattle occurs. If so, I will have to get back to it again.

I might have another go with it but most likely it's gonna stay what it is. I will also ask an upholster and see if they can come up with a solution.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:53 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the warning. That's the kind of job you step away from for a little while, regroup (a cocktail) and try again.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by SouthSider
Thanks for the warning. That's the kind of job you step away from for a little while, regroup (a cocktail) and try again.
exactly! After ordering the right tool i was finally able to get this biatch off, still took a lot of effort as the space is very tight and even the low profile ratchet and torx bit was a snug fit between the screw and the AC piping.

the tool i ordered was:

MulWark 20pc 1/4 Ultra Low Profile Mini Ratchet Wrench Close Quarters Screwdriver Set with High Torque - Right Angle EDC Tool with 90 Degree Mini Offset Reversible Drive Handle & Multi Hex Bits Set

from Amazon. You need both the low profile ratchet AND and the low profile (or stubby, is it what they are called?) t15 bit.

and a pic of the shroud removed, 🍻 🍻

The following users liked this post:
SVR 575 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 01:59 PM

WARNING
WARNING
WARNING

use a cloth to cover the steering wheel when removing the gauge cluster, i Didn’t realize i scratched the backside of the steering wheel until next time i drove it, and it’s in a spot where my hand always touches, argggg!!

Also disable the steering column auto rising mechanism, don’t ask why just do it 😩

Old 05-20-2021, 10:03 AM

Anyone has experience removing the leather cover on the center vent?

The repair manual seemed to depict how to remove the entire center vent, with no mention of the leather cover being secured by clips or screws.

i successfully removed the speaker grille, gentle pulling suggests the leather cover is not integrated or screwed into the vent assembly, with some gentle pulling, i was able to break loose the front clips free, the rear and the side were moving but not coming free, did not want to use more force in fear of a hidden screw or additional piece needing removal.

Any suggestions?

Never realized I’m missing the design line that run across the center due to shrinkage, no wonder the repair manual seemed weird!

Old 05-20-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just wanted to follow along because my leather is starting to lift in a couple places. I still have the balance of the bumper to bumper, but haven't made an appointment with the dealer yet. Mine is doing it at exactly the same spot at the center speaker grill and at the top of the passenger side part of the dash nearest the windshield. This is looking in from out side the car.

You can see all the way to the right where it's flat and in the center its starting to lift up. I thought about pulling it back a little and trying some glue, but will probably hit the dealer up and see if they will replace the dash. I'm guessing they will tell me to go pound sand, but it's worth a shot.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007
I just wanted to follow along because my leather is starting to lift in a couple places. I still have the balance of the bumper to bumper, but haven't made an appointment with the dealer yet. Mine is doing it at exactly the same spot at the center speaker grill and at the top of the passenger side part of the dash nearest the windshield. This is looking in from out side the car.

You can see all the way to the right where it's flat and in the center its starting to lift up. I thought about pulling it back a little and trying some glue, but will probably hit the dealer up and see if they will replace the dash. I'm guessing they will tell me to go pound sand, but it's worth a shot.
Good luck with the warranty! seems like a widespread issue and surprised not many people have experience. I'd think that piece is also quite hard to remove cosidering it houses the air bag.

Ima make a separate thread regarding the center vent cover, I'm driving with an unsecured gauge cluster and cover and really hope to refinish these 2 pieces at one go.

Just went and fiddled with it again, I need to stop before I actually break things. The cover gave up on all corners, the only resistance seems to come from the 2 center sides, I'm not sure if the they are screwed in from underneath or the clips are just too strong.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:39 PM

Da da da dahhh, gauge cluster cover refinished, center vent will be coming out tomorrow and most likely gonna be refinished in red😋

Old 05-21-2021, 06:47 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice! Perfect addition to your seats!

Old 05-21-2021, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Nice! Perfect addition to your seats!
Thanks! Exactly my intention.

Once center vent is done, there will be just enough splash of red on the dash matching the whole interior 😋😋

stay tuned for the pic!

Old 05-22-2021, 06:27 PM

All done with the leather fix, looks brilliant!!

Now i feel the need to do the passenger dash even though it’s completely fine. A red stripe formed Union Jack design would look sick!!

Also cleaned and treated all surface with leather honey, with extra dosage on some of the leading edges that are noticeably drier than others, hopefully this prolongs the usefully life of the leather.

Also added a piece of leather to replace the movable steering wheel column cover, for one it’s a huge pain to refit and two the leather looks arguably better.

do be warned that this wasn’t easy, both removing and reinstalling. I would do it again but even with my experience now, i wouldn’t be shy on the f word.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ray Ray:
Sparky H (05-22-2021), SVR 575 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 09:04 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default THUMBS UP

With what you had to work with at the start....you did a fabulous restore in a cool "custom" motif too....congrats Sir.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Very nice! I would never try myself as much use of f word would not make up for my lack of skills!

Sparky H (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky H
With what you had to work with at the start....you did a fabulous restore in a cool "custom" motif too....congrats Sir.
Originally Posted by bjg625
Very nice! I would never try myself as much use of f word would not make up for my lack of skills!

Thanks! I'm loving the custom yet OEM look and the hard work to get there only make it taht much more rewarding!

Sparky H (05-24-2021)