F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Replace all the sticky peices

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Cost to Replace all the sticky peices

I've read a ton of discussions on trying to repair the interior soft rubber failures on the switches and trim (I remember this on the old BMWs) that get really sticky, but I've not seen anyone who just gave up and had the dealer replace all the bits and what the cost would be. How much would it cost to have them replace all the bits. It's really driving me crazy.

Last edited by David Meier; 08-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I just had my dealer come back with this quote this morning. Total of 9K. Out of warranty (but still under CPO which doesn't matter), Jaguar gave me a goodwill gesture of 60% of that. My out of pocket with taxes and everything would be 3900.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:04 PM

That can't possibly be correct. Nice thousand dollars? USD? That can't be.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 PM

Yes sir! 9000 USD! Absolutely correct, hot off the press from jaguar corporate this morning

Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 PM

However, I will say I spent some time on the dealer website just now and clicked every single interior sticky part on my car and got $1800 in parts. Gona give my SA a call in the morning

Old 08-23-2019, 04:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I reckon they've swapped the labour and parts totals!

Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 AM

Wow...that's obscene especially when it was a quality issue on their part. Mine is a 2015 with 15K miles and no reason the internal parts should be melting like they are. Keep us posted. I am interested in a practical solution and practical is a lot less than $9K

The following 2 users liked this post by David Meier:
jwardis30 (08-25-2019), mecheng1 (10-13-2020)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Is this an issue limited to the 14-15 cars, or has anyone had this issue with interior panels on later models?
Is the problem specific to verts?

Old 08-23-2019, 07:59 AM

I am surprised someone hasn't complained to the NHTSA about the buttons and switches melting. My steering wheel controls are pretty gummed up with the residue to a point I could see them not working properly after a little more time. I think a fairly strong case could be made that it's potentially a safety issue since several critical on/off functions reside on the steering wheel (lane keep, cruise, etc). The same goes for window function and some of the center console failing switches.

The following users liked this post:
jwardis30 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 AM

I love the "goodwill" line on the quote. Very funny.

mecheng1 (10-13-2020)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Is this an issue limited to the 14-15 cars, or has anyone had this issue with interior panels on later models?
I am not sure since I have a 2015. Maybe someone with another year can comment.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

It started much further back with the XKR, which was essentially the test platform for the FT.
However, I believe this was a supplier specification, not one from Jaguar as so many other cars have the problem going further back.

Here is Inspector Clouseau with a great remedy. Only the French accent can add the proper emphasis to the word disgusting.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
AJF (09-05-2019), STMPY (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

p.s. read the second comment.
"Maserati dealer wants $9000 to fix problem"

Old 08-23-2019, 02:15 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

They're probably replacing the entire NAV headunit and both door panels with that price included, due to the soft touch material on the left/right of the screen itself, and the seat control panel surrounds (which I don't believe are individually replaceable/ sold separate from the panels themselves). If so, I would believe the price quoted is accurate.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 2015 coupe. It has been around 120F the past few days. No sticky buttons in my coupe. Net even a sticky wicket.
Also the only time my car spends in the sun is when I am driving.

Last edited by Noshame; 08-23-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
I have a 2015 coupe. It has been around 120F the past few days. No sticky buttons in my coupe. Net even a sticky wicket.
Also the only time my car spends in the sun is when I am driving.
I’m beginning to suspect it occurs primarily on the verts, most likely as a result of direct exposure to UV when the top is down.

AJF (09-05-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

does this on ALL models across multiple manufacturers that use the soft touch switches. When I did my first Ftype I thought great will be easier for a 2 seater. NOPE, WAY more soft touch stuff in there than the XK, XF, or XJ. Surrounds, door handles, switch around shifter, steering wheel , cubby box latch. And when goodwilled I have to do it all for warranty time which is a kick in the *** because you're not gonna beat it. That all being said and watching the different offered solutions on here I tried just using a cloth to rub the coating off without damaging plastic or lettering. It did take it off but will be a lot of work, and beer if you do it at home The new ones I put on to replace did not have that coating on them. Benz. BMW etc all have the same issue if they use this soft touch. more so hot humidity does it faster than whether a convertible or not

Last edited by Brutal; 08-23-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Queen and Country (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Inspired by the $9K quote in the early comments, I went at this morning on the interior. I hope this helps those of you who have the sticky interior issue on the F-Type - I spent this morning trying different approaches to cleaning the sticky buttons and switches and I came to a solution. I've attached a few before pictures and then a few after pictures. Hopefully it will be obvious which is which. All of my switches had basically what I called "melted" creating a gooey, sticky surface. The top portion of my steering wheel, all the center console, the cubby button all had the same issue as well as the inside hold on the doors and window switches/plates. What a mess.

I used two liquids in my approach after trying a bunch of things from the house. I used Lemon oil and the degreaser Purple Power (can be found at Walmart). Although I am pretty sure the Purple Power did 99% of the work, I continued this method with both since it seemed to work. A couple of trail notes - Be very careful with the Purple Power. It will stain leather quickly so don't spray it, but pour a little on your fingers or rag to apply and cover your leather including the arm rest. Also, have a toothpick handy as when the goo begins to come off it piles like adhesive and will get in the cracks of the switches. Besides a number of rags and clean water, I had a wooden shim utilizing the thin, soft edge to scrape off the goo where I could. It did not harm anything. Lastly, it will make your job slightly easier to let the buttons soak a bit before beginning to clean. Because of this the horizontal switches in the center console were the easiest to clean (and oddly were the worst condition) since they were able to be soaked letting the solutions work for longer than a vertical surface would allow. I finished up with Mothers VLR vinyl treatment. I really hate this stuff, but it seems to have a little emulsifying quality to it and it seemed to be a good topping for this job.

Once the surfaces have been treated and soaked, it's time for things to really get ugly. I'll warn you ahead of time this is tedious. It took me around 4+ hours to do the interior buttons. My fingers are so sore from rubbing I can barely type on the keyboard. So at this point it's as simple as rubbing, scraping and re-applying the solutions. You do this over and over and over and...you get the idea. When you think you have it, you'll notice that there's another layer and you'll start all over again on area you thought you had just finished. It's a bit frustrating, but once you get your own little system down and you see progress it's pretty rewarding. I didn't many before pictures because I had little faith this would work, but I am thrilled with the final result and the few before pics will give you an idea. If you have this issue, you already know. I've ordered a new start ignition button so I think I am ready to roll. I've attached the pics as mentioned. The first three are representative of what most everything looked like before I started. Please feel free to ask questions about the process.

AJF (09-05-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by David Meier
degreaser Purple Power (can be found at Walmart). Although I am pretty sure the Purple Power did 99% of the work, I continued this method with both since it seemed to work. A couple of trail notes - Be very careful with the Purple Power. It will stain leather quickly so don't spray it, but pour a little on your fingers or rag to apply and cover your leather including the arm rest.
It is also very corrosive, as in it will make contacts rust.
Throw it away while you are ahead.

David Meier (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:37 PM

I disagree. It's really effective in the right situations. I won't be tossing it.

Quick Reply: Cost to Replace all the sticky peices