F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Replace all the sticky peices

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Is this an issue limited to the 14-15 cars, or has anyone had this issue with interior panels on later models?
Is the problem specific to verts?
My 2016 coupe has stickiness on plastic parts of steering wheel and doors. I mistakenly tried some alcohol on the bottom of steering wheel post and the finish rubbed right off. No longer sticky but looks shiny and crappy. Don't do this.

Dealer seems unsympathetic.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fabco:
Kdes (08-25-2019), SinF (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 12:41 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I’m beginning to suspect it occurs primarily on the verts, most likely as a result of direct exposure to UV when the top is down.
I have a version of the same theory that sunscreen is also adding to the problem. Snscreen will destroy just about anything and a lot of people in the convertible are obviously using it.

Last edited by David Meier; 08-25-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you live in the deep south?

Old 08-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Do you live in the deep south. I do. Buttons are in bad shape. My car is always in the garage when its not on the road. 2014 XJ. This should be a Jaguar problem, big defect! Will kill the resale value!

The following users liked this post:
David Meier (04-06-2020)
Old 08-25-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by David Meier
I have a version of the same theory that sunscreen is also adding to the problem. Snscreen will destroy just about anything and a lot of people in the convertible are obviously using it.
While I don’t doubt sunscreen could be a contributing factor, as others have reported, it occurs on other cars, other makes. Imho, its just a bad manufacturing choice of coating and thus should be warranted.my coupe has the sticky issue on parts that are never touched like ac vent trim. Did some dealer detailer or car wash use some product at some time that caused this to deteriorate months later? Perhaps, but it seems to be more of an age and heat issue? I myself have never even used armor all or any other product on the interior.

i notice it is the grayish matte finish parts framing the shiny parts that give the issue. Frame around door handle, frame around l/r a/c vents, steering button frame, etc. when u rub it off, its shiny black underneath and thus changes the look. It’s hard to achieve perfect finish without looking blotchy if u rub it off.

I have shiny black parts around touch screen and carbon under a/c so its not an issue there, thank goodness. One hidden benefit of those options apparently.

I agree it will do little good to replace with the same parts that will just get you past the warranty period and occur again down the road.

Anybody know for sure if replacement parts are fixed with new coating or finish?

Would removing those parts and clear wrapping when new be a preventative option? Can those parts even be removed without breaking?

Old 08-25-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by jwardis30
Do you live in the deep south?
My car spent 4 of it's 5 years in Florida.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

This is by no means an exclusively "Jaguar problem" - many makes used this same finish to their buttons and switches with the same result. And it won't make a bit of difference to the resale value of F-Types. Often only "real world" experience reveals the durability of finishes...a perfect example is the nikasil cylinder coating used by both BMW and Jaguar in the 90's. Both companies were faced with engine replacements when the engines faced two failure-contributing factors: high sulphur content fuel and very short active engine periods - moving a car out of a garage to wash it, for example, the restarting and putting it back in the garage. Done enough times, this resulted in the excess fuel in the cylinders damaging the nikasil coating, resulting in a lack of compression. Could this have been foreseen? It could be foreseen in hindsight! It is very easy to pillory manufacturers as though they produced defective products on purpose. The truth is that they work very hard to build quality products, but sometimes....

And a very simple, easy, cheap and permanent fix for this problem is to simply coat the vulnerable switches and other pieces with a satin finish varathane - brushed on. This is effective and especially useful for the pieces that receive heavy use - the audio on/off button, for example, and the P switch, but it works on any of the coated parts. It is much faster than removing the existing finish and it leaves a durable coating.

Last edited by sov211; 08-25-2019 at 10:46 PM.
David Meier (04-06-2020)
Old 08-26-2019, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
And a very simple, easy, cheap and permanent fix for this problem is to simply coat the vulnerable switches and other pieces with a satin finish varathane - brushed on. This is effective and especially useful for the pieces that receive heavy use - the audio on/off button, for example, and the P switch, but it works on any of the coated parts. It is much faster than removing the existing finish and it leaves a durable coating.
Is there a specific one you recommend? Seems to be a lot of versions, oil based, waster based, etc.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Is this an issue limited to the 14-15 cars, or has anyone had this issue with interior panels on later models?
Is the problem specific to verts?
I can't speak to F-type, but here are my experiences based on Mercedes SL 500 that had similar issues with sticky buttons and door handles.

a. This is directly related to heat and UV. If you let your car bake in the sun, then it will happen sooner.
b. This eventually happens to everyone, but range is more than a decade.
c. You can't clean it off without damaging finish, your choices to replace parts of live with it.
d. New parts will last about as long as old ones did, if your 2015 car has this issue then by 2025 it will happen again. Invest in a windshield sun shade and park it in the garage when possible.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Oil from fingers clearly plays a part, as the only sticky pieces I have are ones I touch. Parts that I rarely touch aren't sticky.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Oil from fingers clearly plays a part, as the only sticky pieces I have are ones I touch. Parts that I rarely touch aren't sticky.
Totally! from the video above we can see oil very effectively removes it.

You what this behaves likes- feels like- looks like; Plasti Dip Clear.

Someone should try using plastidip to recoat.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Is there a specific one you recommend? Seems to be a lot of versions, oil based, waster based, etc.
I used the version that is for use on plastic. Works perfectly and leaves a nice satin finish.

Last edited by sov211; 08-26-2019 at 11:26 AM.
David Meier (08-30-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:16 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a 2013 XF-RS that started exhibiting this sticky button issue this year. Never parked in the sun -- it stays garaged & covered so it's not UV exposure. It's a chemistry issue with the garbage rubber supplier that Jaguar used.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a similar experience. In the last 4 months I have started experiencing the "sticky button" issue on the eco button pod and the top of the steering wheel. I have a 2014 V8S convertible that is a garage queen. Even though I live in Atlanta, the car is stored in the garage and rarely sits outside. It has less than 17,000 miles on it giving you an idea of how much time it is inside. In my opinion there is definitely an issue with the rubber coating breaking down prematurely, but I am not sure I would point to environmental factors like UV/sunlight as the culprit exasperating the issue. I would love to see Jaguar address this issue, but given the age of my car, I have my doubts on any warranty type response. Regardless, I am very interested in others experience in removing the rubber gunk or replacing the buttons. It will be a project that I will be looking at in the near future.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
I used the version that is for use on plastic. Works perfectly and leaves a nice satin finish.
Can you please post a picture of your final result? It seems to me that you would need to address this early before it starts smearing and getting fingerprints or you would just be immortalizing a bad look.

Also, does the urathane bond with the sticky coating? Again it must or it seems like putting a hard shell over a soft under layer would just crack out over time.

How did u keep the urethane from getting on your leather? Did u mask it off with tape or use tin foil?

My 2016 only has 7 sticky parts. L/r door handle frame trim, l/r a/c vent frame trim, center vent trim, bottom steering wheel trim, and the console grab handle bottom trim. My start button, parking brake etc buttons, upper steering wheel buttons and part #2 are not sticky and do not appear to have ever been coated.

New replacement parts are not supposed to have this issue and new models seem not to have it. Anybody know at what vin numbers they quit using sticky coating completely? Or, is it still an issue?

David Meier (08-30-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Anybody else think the cpo process should have replaced any and all sticky parts before they certified the car for resale? I’m very disappointed that it didn’t.

David Meier (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:53 PM
Default Sticky pieces

Wow...that's obscene especially when it was a quality issue on their part. Mine is a 2015 with 15K miles and no reason the internal parts should be melting like they are. Keep us posted. I am interested in a practical solution and practical is a lot less than $9K
I had the same problem. Jag wanted 6k to fix mine. 17% alcohol will clean up the sticky parts but it’s very time consuming.

David Meier (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by allenman85
I have a 2013 XF-RS that started exhibiting this sticky button issue this year. Never parked in the sun -- it stays garaged & covered so it's not UV exposure. It's a chemistry issue with the garbage rubber supplier that Jaguar used.
I agree

Old 08-30-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Janet A Washburn
I had the same problem. Jag wanted 6k to fix mine. 17% alcohol will clean up the sticky parts but it’s very time consuming.
It is tedious, but a worth it at $6K

Old 08-31-2019, 08:27 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabco
Anybody else think the cpo process should have replaced any and all sticky parts before they certified the car for resale? I’m very disappointed that it didn’t.
then you would have paid for it in the price of the car. I don't know of any preowned manager that ever ok that expense of repair. Theres just not even close to the profit to be made without that costly of repair. They would send to auction period. Remember that what ever company you work for PROFIT is what keeps the doors open.... Well unless you work for the government. Theyre the only ones that can keep the doors open while constantly operating in the red.

JgaXkr (09-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Cost to Replace all the sticky peices