Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Replace all the sticky peices

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
then you would have paid for it in the price of the car. I don't know of any preowned manager that ever ok that expense of repair. Theres just not even close to the profit to be made without that costly of repair. They would send to auction period. Remember that what ever company you work for PROFIT is what keeps the doors open.... Well unless you work for the government. Theyre the only ones that can keep the doors open while constantly operating in the red.
I think folks dont realize how much it costs dealerships. They cant just use some alcohol or aftermarket parts, they are forced to use new OEM parts. And real technicians.

But the real problem is psychological. Folks would never balk at $4000 to cut a tree down (and a beaver can do that job) but they will bellyache about having to spend $2k on a timing chain job after driving the distance to the moon.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Brutal (08-31-2019), SinF (09-05-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 01:34 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I think folks dont realize how much it costs dealerships. They cant just use some alcohol or aftermarket parts, they are forced to use new OEM parts. And real technicians.

But the real problem is psychological. Folks would never balk at $4000 to cut a tree down (and a beaver can do that job) but they will bellyache about having to spend $2k on a timing chain job after driving the distance to the moon.
$4,000.00 to cut one tree down? What was it, the General Sherman Redwood?!
I recently had five trees removed, stumps ground, and all debris hauled away for $850.00. Most were medium size hardwoods and that fee also included trimming a few branches from other trees that were blocking sunlight from my back yard.
Another benefit of living in a third world state.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
$4,000.00 to cut one tree down? What was it, the General Sherman Redwood?!
Thats what a good size tree will run you in most cities. The kinds places a Jaguar dealership has to pay rent in.
But you know what I mean, no one complains about a tar roof costing $20k that has to be redone every 15 years, by folks who have zero overhead, but $4k for an engine that took you to the moon and back, no way.

The following users liked this post:
scm (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 02:47 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I bitch about $400 to drop a tree and im on 5.5acres with lots of trees. So my back and stihl get a hell of a workout. Then beer and bonfire later to relax... But yeah relavant. Just had suspension work she didnt want to replace broken front lower control bushings that werent just broken. Then were completely seperated and flopping around and dangerous. So i did the work while she was in europe for 3 weeks. Everyone has money they wont bat a eye at spending, yet other things no way. Me i try to save where i can so i can spend where i want or need to.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
scm (08-31-2019), SinF (09-05-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 09:05 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Does anyone know if the soft-touch trim around the door pulls/seat controls are sold separately from the main door panel? And if so, when you buy that piece, what all comes with it? Is it as simple as a trim ring, or does it come with the door pull and seat control panel/memory switches too? Also, how much is it?

Old 09-01-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
Does anyone know if the soft-touch trim around the door pulls/seat controls are sold separately from the main door panel? And if so, when you buy that piece, what all comes with it? Is it as simple as a trim ring, or does it come with the door pull and seat control panel/memory switches too? Also, how much is it?
The plastic bezel around the switches is an integral part of the switch assembly. Depending on the seat/memory options you have, that switch assembly will cost $130-$306. Inside door handle is separate and around $400.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-01-2019 at 08:43 AM.
WJV (09-01-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by unhingd
the plastic bezel around the switches is an integral part of the switch assembly. Depending on the seat/memory options you have, that switch assembly will cost $130-$306. Inside door handle is separate and around $400.
the trim surround on the door panels around the switches is a seperate piece.. As is the inner pull handle where you grab that has a soft touch coating inside where you cant see. That if mine i would clean all the coating off and not spend the money to replace that. No one will be the wizer and you can put that money to somehting else.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
if mine i would clean all the coating off and not spend the money to replace that. No one will be the wizer and you can put that money to somehting else.
Some aftermarket companies sell appliques (carbon-fiber and such) that fit over the trim pieces. Are these prone to loosening if the soft-touch coating starts to fail?

I LIKE carbon fiber trim...

Old 09-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by carbuff2
some aftermarket companies sell appliques (carbon-fiber and such) that fit over the trim pieces. Are these prone to loosening if the soft-touch coating starts to fail?

I like carbon fiber trim...
i have seen a couple owner do that with the touch screen surrounds and other pieces. You can tell theyre stick though

Carbuff2 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 09:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

We are a dedicated bunch here on this board. We had two guys order a new Merryway infotainment system with Chinese manuals who endured countless hours of trial and error to get them to almost work. Am I being dumb to think that some enterprising business person/board member might pull all the rubber parts off, disassemble them to components, then CAD/CAM 3d print new plastic parts and replace?

The following 2 users liked this post by BRG4ever:
fujicoupe (09-03-2019), SinF (09-05-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BRG4ever
We are a dedicated bunch here on this board. We had two guys order a new Merryway infotainment system with Chinese manuals who endured countless hours of trial and error to get them to almost work. Am I being dumb to think that some enterprising business person/board member might pull all the rubber parts off, disassemble them to components, then CAD/CAM 3d print new plastic parts and replace?
the problem isn't the part itself, the problem is the coating -- it'd probably be possible to create a coating / vinyl kit so end users could remove their sticky pieces, clean them, then replace the coating and reinstall

has anybody tried sending the parts off to the Ferrari sticky button guys?

Old 09-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by addict
the problem is the coating -- it'd probably be possible to create a coating / vinyl kit
like this
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't think that would leave a similar finish to the rubberized coating that is on there, no?

Old 09-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by addict
I don't think that would leave a similar finish to the rubberized coating that is on there, no?
It would not be grippy.
But why would you want it to be again.

Which is also why I would not buy the same parts with the same coating, it will be more of the same.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

If only it were Jaaaaags, no one would act, but fortunately for us, the sticky button problem is a curse on pricier cars than ours.

https://stickynomore.com/

These guys fix the problem. And it isn't cheap, but to T&C's timely reminders on our behavioral inconsistencies, this isn't the
time to become a cheap b*******d.

I had mine changed under the CPO coverage, even after JLR corporate told me they wouldn't do so. You just need a willing
and able accomplice in the form of a dealer. It can be done.

SinF (09-05-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

The sticky buttons was issued TSB number JTB00447 for the XJ. It covers 2010-2015, VIN#s V00001-V83459. Therefore I am surprised by the 2016 that has problems.

SinF (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Goo be gone
amazon has it
easy clean up

Old 09-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It would not be grippy.
But why would you want it to be again.

Which is also why I would not buy the same parts with the same coating, it will be more of the same.
I've just gotten my car back after dealer kindly replaced all the sticky parts on my 2016 under its still remaining 5yr warranty. Shout out to my great Autobahn dealer and service manager, Adam for their excellent service and quality work.

The new parts have a different finish and will not have the same issue again.

As for sending cleaning off yourself, or sending off to stickyRx or stickynomore, the problem is disassembly is needed for quality results. The sticky smears and ***** up when you basically scrape it off with a credit card, toothpick, or credit card, etc.easy to get on leather unless carefully masked with tin foil. You don't want sticky from the masking tape on your leather either. Then the toothpick must be used judiciously to keep removing the stuff that gets in the cracks between the buttons. Easy to see how a switch could eventually get fouled if you miss any in the cracks.

The second issue is rubbing through the sticky into the underlying paint. It's hard to know when to stop until too late.

My dealer replaced the entire steering wheel just for one small trim at the bottom around the horn button. Was this necessary because the trim wasn't available or integrated into the steering wheel some way? I didn't get a good answer, and the bottom horn trim part appears in the parts diagram as a separate part. However if the top clamshell of your steering wheel is sticky, it is definitely not sold separately even though the other switches for cruise and stereo are. I don't know the steering wheel cost but I'll bet it isn't cheap.

The door handle trim is definitely sold separately and the entire door panel does not need to be replaced. I don't know if they had to remove the door panel to change it, though. The center vent must also be removed for it's bezel to be changed, I'm told.

my 2016 seems to have had fewer sticky parts than some have reported, so I'm guessing sometime in 2016-17 that bad coating was no longer an issue. Some of my trim parts were finished exactly like the new replacement parts and have never yet become sticky. The new parts match those old perfectly. The old sticky parts had a slightly different color, slightly lighter and grayer in color. Subtle differences though.

Wish someone would post the vin number where that no more sticky happened. Any sticky 2017s out there?

As for cost to jaguar for warranty before or after cpo? It costs jaguar the same either way, but the customer good will would be a heck of a lot better if they caught and turned in any warranty work "before" they sell the car to you hoping you won't notice until just after it isn't covered any longer.

Queen and Country (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabco
Wish someone would post the vin number where that no more sticky happened. Any sticky 2017s out there?
No sticky issue on K27733. (MY16, early June 2015 production)

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-08-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

No sticky issues K19440 Oct 2014 build MY2015.
But obviously many F-Types with later build dates have issues so there seems to be more to it than "fixed after a certain build date".

Quick Reply: Cost to Replace all the sticky peices