F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could the F Type be the last sports car for Jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 03:43 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Wouldn't even consider the next gen electric XJ at $100K+
Just as well, there isn't going to be one ....

Old 02-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
The corporations are doing what is in their collective best interests, nothing more, and politics has nothing to do with it.
Not sure I would agree with your last point, at least in the UK, diesel engied cars / suv were incentivised by government taxation on fuel and CO2 exhaust emissions about twenty years ago. The UK market and manufactuers reacted accordingly, as did consumers. Diesel engine vehicles went from being used almost exclusively in commercial vehicles and taxis to widespread domestic use.

They produce significantly less CO2 ,and have higher mpg.

Back then we didn't care much about increased Nox levels and particulate emissions .

Move forward in time and lost revenue from petrol taxation as people changed in droves to diesel caused the government to increase diesel fuel taxation, it now costs more per litre than petrol, reversing a historic difference that lasted decades.

Now we are all told that whilst CO2 is bad , particulate emissions are known to be an increasing risk factor for lung cancer, Nox isn't too healthy either and diesel engines produce more than 'equivalent petrol engines '

One amongst many factors that influenced JLR turnover and profitability was the collapse of the market for diesel powered vehicles , driven by legislative changes in the UK.

To answer the original question, I think the primary factor in whether Jaguar produce another sports / GT car is the market demand.

Like manual transmission cars they're bought by an increasingly small number of owners, most manufacturers whose market was once low volume prestige saloons or sports / GT have realised that they can't remain profitable without moving into high volume production.

Enthusiasts are too few to matter, sadly.

Last edited by Paul_59; 02-21-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855

Jaguar CEO Talks All-Electric Sports Cars

Speaking to Top Gear, Jaguar Land Rover CEO Thierry Bollore didn't outright confirm when asked if an electrified sports car is planned. "It's a question that we are looking at very carefully," he said. "I'm not going to answer that right now because it's a question of importance for us, and we will answer when we have decided exactly what we want to do with this new portfolio of Jaguar."

Bear in mind one critical thing: Jag's upcoming EVs will all share a single platform. Future all-electric Land Rovers will have two at their disposal. Bollore did acknowledge Jaguar's new lineup "is going to be more compact compared to the one we have today."

Regardless of whether or not an electrified sports car is in the future mix, Bollore made something else very clear. He intends to let the Jaguar design team be "totally free to prepare and propose the most emotionally dramatic designs they can imagine."

So the question is " Is the F type the end of sports cars for Jaguar?"
Perhaps for another 50 years as it was for the E-Type. Certainly long after we’re gone.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Nope, its more then that. The end of the ICE's is the end of Jaguar. They say now they make all Jaguars electric as of 2025,

but there is already an I-Pace that does not sell too good. So why make 4 versions of an I-Pace.. .. they won't sell one extra..

I think it will be RIP Jaguar ; Land Rover only. Or maybe som Jaguar SUV's with shared tech like now the Velar / F-Pace are.

https://insideevs.com/news/447398/ja...alling-slower/

Although some reporter made a nice sneer :

"..And the funny thing about all of this is the brand’s only current sports car, the F-Type, is an undeniable success, especially given the shrinking global market for
pure sports cars - the F-Type is arguably the most desirable Jaguar you can buy right now and it proves this is what the company is good at..."

https://insideevs.com/news/488934/ja...ectrification/

Last edited by Dan_NL; 02-21-2021 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
I think it will be RIP Jaguar ; Land Rover only. Or maybe som Jaguar SUV's with shared tech like now the Velar / F-Pace are.
The press articles claim that Jaguar will leave the SUVs to Land Rover which is pretty much what most people seem to buy at the moment so I think it will be RIP too.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Jaguar and Land / Range Rover are marquee brands. Worst case scenario the names will be traded and stamped on future concepts, but with the recognition vs other car brands, during consolidation of the worst case scenario I cannot imagine these names being wiped off the map. I will say that it's uncomfortable to imagine what brands won't exist... words we won't say... Lincoln? Volvo? What is dispatched into the night? I admit, I never, ever, EVER thought we wouldn't be saying the words Pontiac Firebird.

You guys really think the shift to EV is so such a dramatic moment in auto that something like Jag might not survive it? I'll believe it when I see it. There's plenty of other brands to go first, and the name alone will be some rich dude's passion project, vs letting it disappear into the ether.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

...that something like Jag might not survive it? I'll believe it when I see it. There's plenty of other brands to go first, and the name alone will be some rich dude's passion project, vs letting it disappear into the ether.
I disagree. Look no further than the TVR brand to see that even a "rich dude" cannot support a financially losing proposition indefinitely.

I say Aston Martin will go under before Jaguar, however the writing is on the wall for many such brands.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Anecdote - of many cars I currently have or ever had, my F-type is the only Jaguar. Obviously, as a car guy, I knew about Jaguar but it never entered my consideration in any category.

Without a halo car - and it must be a sports car - Jaguar has no way to sell other cars. JLR isn't Tesla, nobody is lining up to buy thier EV. They are in the same position Blackberry was when Apple came out with iPhone and they will end the same way.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
They are in the same position Blackberry was when Apple came out with iPhone and they will end the same way.
Though Blackberry isn't dead.. .. they bought new encrypting code and will soon come back with a stealth type of phone with two OS you can switch,
and you can kill 100% the bare bone google part with a switch.. ... untraceable..

This I heared from some guy on the web, not 100% this is really happening..

And so it can be with Jaguar. The new XJ not as EV but as hydrogen car....

Old 01-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Famous brand names have a way of showing up again long after you think they are dead.
Polaroid is now a TV brand and nothing to do with instant photography.
Royal Enfield (motorcycles) were reincarnated in India with the original sound and smoke belching.
I just hope the Jaguar F-Type is not reincarnated as an Indian tuk-tuk!!

Old 01-21-2023, 10:30 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, as batteries have very specific energy limitations. It's no problem to make a 5000 pound, 2300 kilo EV perform wonderfully, and provide adequate range. It is virtually impossible to put that same energy (a 2000 pound battery pack won't fit) into a 2 seat, 3600 pound convertible and achieve anything approaching adequate range for a GT car.

When the battery is downsized, so is the practicality of the car.

Consider that I have no problem going 450 high speed highway miles nonstop in my F-Type. Will this next EV sports car be adequate with 150 miles of highway range?

Old 01-22-2023, 05:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default No money

They don’t even have the budget to promote the current F-Type. It’s weird that people still ask what kinda of car is that? It’s cool for us but bad for Jaguar. Jaguar as we knew it is over. It’s all about electric cars for the working class. Sports and Luxury cars are over for Jaguar. It was a good run.

The following 2 users liked this post by F-type-r-2022:
SassySarah (01-22-2023), Uncle Fishbits (01-31-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 04:23 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by F-type-r-2022
Jaguar as we knew it is over. It’s all about electric cars for the working class. Sports and Luxury cars are over for Jaguar. It was a good run.
Really? All the reports I've seen say that Jaguar is aiming to compete with Bentley! Of course, they'll have to up their game and sort out the dealer network for that to work ...

Uncle Fishbits (01-31-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 04:39 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

If I ran JLR.

All SUV's and such under Land Rover.
Sport sub brand there (sport).

Cars/wagons: Jaguar

I would NOT do a Jaguar sports car battery EV with the current tech (weight/power density). Maybe revive the XJ project.

For a Jaguar sports car...I'd hold until the battery tech supports lightweight and fast charging.

Perhaps they can focus on giving the EV a sense of occasion in the meantime....I have been in a Taycan, and a Tesla 3 performance...heavy and boring despite brilliant attempts to hide the weight...you could tell. If anyone can do an EV sports car that is fun and desirable, it is Jaguar.

My dream car would be an E and an F type, weights no more than 200 lbs more than current cars, 300 miles of range, and 10 minute charge to 90%.

Humanity got to the moon. We can do this. The key is not wasting reputational liquidity with the crappy batteries of 2023.

If it takes 15 years to get to the right place, so be it.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-22-2023 at 10:45 PM.
Uncle Fishbits (01-31-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 11:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
I say Aston Martin will go under before Jaguar, however the writing is on the wall for many such brands.
Aston Martin has been going bankrupt for 100 years, its effectively their business model. So I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

jcb-memphis (01-23-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cujet
Yes, as batteries have very specific energy limitations. It's no problem to make a 5000 pound, 2300 kilo EV perform wonderfully, and provide adequate range. It is virtually impossible to put that same energy (a 2000 pound battery pack won't fit) into a 2 seat, 3600 pound convertible and achieve anything approaching adequate range for a GT car.

When the battery is downsized, so is the practicality of the car.

Consider that I have no problem going 450 high speed highway miles nonstop in my F-Type. Will this next EV sports car be adequate with 150 miles of highway range?
My Polestar 2 is 4650lbs at 270 mile range with 408hp. It's pretty freaking fun, but yeah... especially with cold, range drops, and this is not a road trip car, for sure. Infrastructure just isn't there yet, although I could see myself properly planning a trip to eat and fuel at the same time, etc. I don't really have range anxiety. It's my wife's daily tho, and she does Marin to Napa quite a bit without any concerns.

But I've a year left on my F-Type warranty, and all said and done with my 2016 and this 2019, I'll essentially have about 9 years of warranty on them. The pandemic made the end of warranty sneak up on me and I'm bummed. But it's the first time I sort of considered not paying to maintain this car, as a stick shift 6cyl should be quite alluring to people. Maybe the search filter is busted, but it doesn't look like any manual transmissions have been on BaT, but it does appear that more F-Types are selling at auction, and it does appear the value is increasing, slowly: https://bringatrailer.com/jaguar/f-type/

Old 02-01-2023, 12:08 PM

EV's make great dragsters and turn fantastic lap times, so there is a fantastic sporty capacity. However, they are very limited for track days, and 10 to 15 miles seems to be the maximum threshold at which production car batteries either heat up and reduce output, or in the case of a high speed oval track racer, are depleted. For example, the latest Model 3 Performance runs as many as 4 laps at 1.5 mile Lime Rock before a thermal-related reduction in output kicks in. That's far short of the 15 lap norm.

Put another way, a 100KWh battery (Tesla Plaid) can make 50HP for 2 hours. OR 100HP for an hour or 200HP for 1/2 hour. Unfortunately, at high discharge rates a battery KWh capacity is reduced to about 70-80% so it really can't make 400HP for 15 minutes, more like 12.

Any way you slice it, that's a far cry from what a conventional gas powered Jag sports car can do.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:32 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

EV's make great dragsters and turn fantastic lap times, so there is a fantastic sporty capacity. However, they are very limited for track days, and 10 to 15 miles seems to be the maximum threshold at which production car batteries either heat up and reduce output, or in the case of a high speed oval track racer, are depleted. For example, the latest Model 3 Performance runs as many as 4 laps at 1.5 mile Lime Rock before a thermal-related reduction in output kicks in. That's far short of the 15 lap norm.

Put another way, a 100KWh battery (Tesla Plaid) can make 50HP for 2 hours. OR 100HP for an hour or 200HP for 1/2 hour. Unfortunately, at high discharge rates a battery KWh capacity is reduced to about 70-80% so it really can't make 400HP for 15 minutes, more like 12.

Any way you slice it, that's a far cry from what a conventional gas powered Jag sports car can do.
Thanks. Did not realize EV's were so "not there yet" in this domain. They don't talk about that much....

Old 02-01-2023, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Thanks. Did not realize EV's were so "not there yet" in this domain. They don't talk about that much....
They will soon get the thermal "throttling" under control. People will demand it. That will help with track days and extend to about 15 laps without difficulty. But it won't increase overall range, the very thing that makes a GT car so enjoyable.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

They will soon get the thermal "throttling" under control. People will demand it. That will help with track days and extend to about 15 laps without difficulty. But it won't increase overall range, the very thing that makes a GT car so enjoyable.
Your points are really correct. You do get the fun of driving if you're not worried about range. Most of our drives aren't that far, and my wife's commute isn't insignificant but she doesn't drive like me. It is hilarious to see the way I drive and the way the battery just drains like someone aggressively sipping a gin and tonic through a straw. Lol
Also the torque freaks my wife out more than my F-Type, but they aren't there yet for long haul.

There is a startup in China that is experimenting with being able to remove a battery and replace it with a fully charged one. That sounds bulky but interesting. But I'm the guy who loved having spare phone batteries when you could open them up and go from 0% to 100% in a minute.

Quick Reply: Could the F Type be the last sports car for Jaguar?