F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupé or Convertible??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Wife in the car; windows up unless going fairly slowly through town. No wife in car; windows down.

Dave

Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Tricky one....

The wife and I found the coupé much more beautiful at the rear haunches than the vert (Echoes of the E-Type).
When we had the coupé, we came to the conclusion that you could be in almost any other car, and wouldn't really know the difference.

I was already sold on the vert, as to my mind at least, a ''sports car'' shouldn't have a roof.
Once we tried the vert, it all became very clear to my wife that this was the way to go (I won!).

We have enjoyed 6K miles of European tours and bombing round the South of England with the roof down; the sound, wind in your hair...what more could you ask for?
That sounds fantastic!! I lived in a little place called Barnham, W Sussex for a few years so I know what you're talking about. Next time we come back to the UK I expect a ride !!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Well... How much shopping are you intending to do with this car? The 'vert is okay if you're doing daily groceries, but for the weekly shop you're going to need the coupe.

You should also consider whether you need the power tailgate.

Neither of them hold enough that lifting the lid will be a problem, but you know. Valet grocery loading might not be available at some stores.

But, that's like filling it up at a gas station that only sells Biofuel on the basis that you save a couple of cents per gallon...

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (03-23-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Quote:

It all depends on your expectations and your agreement with your significant other. I think that a lot of guys think that a woman is a prize and try to please her. I think that a significant other should stay around because they value their partner. One should be supportive and not controlling.

Well, Enfield, I'm with you and I have been married for 39 years. My wife is a Jaguar-enabler; she thinks that owning 4 at a time is a perfectly normal situation. So far the total for us is 32 Jaguars (it's a disease for which no cure is desired nor necessary).
But back to the original question: the coupe (sorry about the missing accent; I am on an I-pad) and the convertible serve different purposes. For beauty, there is no comparison: the coupe is simply breath-taking, especially in the right colour. And if your head-cover is a little thin, then the convertible is not the best choice anyway. But all of this is a matter of personal preference. Both models are beautiful, fast and comfortable.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
drbill (03-18-2016), SinF (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Quote:
And if your head-cover is a little thin, then the convertible is not the best choice anyway.
So true. This is one reason I rushed into getting mine while I still have all my hair. My gramps is bald as stump, so I suspect that is what in store for me in my 40s. I still full hair and couple years until then...

Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Ever heard of hats? I still have plenty of hair, but after 30 years of uninterrupted convertible ownership, I'd never be in a convertible without a baseball cap.

mshedden (03-18-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Well... How much shopping are you intending to do with this car? The 'vert is okay if you're doing daily groceries, but for the weekly shop you're going to need the coupe.

You should also consider whether you need the power tailgate.

Neither of them hold enough that lifting the lid will be a problem, but you know. Valet grocery loading might not be available at some stores.

But, that's like filling it up at a gas station that only sells Biofuel on the basis that you save a couple of cents per gallon...

My wife and I are lucky to live near agri-bounty all over Marin and NorCal, so we end up quite European with our daily groceries or farmer's market stuff... the vert works! Also, the luggage set aside, you can *easily* do 3-4 days in wine country without much stress. I'm getting this for a 3 week road trip tho.. Summer 142. No complaints on it bending the soft boot metal to any degree.... Jaguar F Type Convertible Luggage Rack

Also, at 30mph, the functionality of this roof is sublime. Lovely day, rain breaks, you move through the fog to warmer weather.... it's just the greatest thing.

Love and respect to F-Type owners, but the usability and functionality of the vert, coupled with the fact that the lines are way better in my mind, it wasn't even a conversation! =)

How many versions of the F-Type are there? vert/coupe Base/S,Manual/Auto, R, SVR, P7. Like 15??

Old 03-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Long term vert owner also. Put it down all the time, desert climate! Plenty of good looking coupe's but never tempted. Just more fun!

Uncle Fishbits (03-24-2016)