F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe Model - A piece of Seal Fell into Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coupe Model - A piece of Seal Fell into Trunk

I thought someone else would have encountered this already, but I can't find any relevant thread on this topic.
Not sure if I am tying the correct keyword during my search. So sorry if this is already discussed in this forum.

Here comes the story. I have a '17 R coupe model. Very weirdly I found a piece of rubber seal sitting in the middle of my trunk one day after work.
Right away, I was very confused what that was, and where it came from. There is no part number on the piece, just some text showing material and manufacture date. Manufacture date makes sense (3 months before my car was made), so that piece should belong to the car.

I couldn't figure out where that belonged, so I just drove home. Nothing abnormal during my drive. No excess noise or anything.

Here is what the end of the piece looks like. No glue.
I searched the car and can't find any place that's missing a seal.

I noticed the piece was clean, so it can't be a weather seal. It is likely something in the interior of the car.

The next day I had some time to really think about this. I also noticed the piece was not perfectly straight. There are 2 slight bends near the ends. So I searched for parts with similar shape.
Finally I think I found where the piece belongs - the back edge of the giant plastic trim that separate cabin and trunk.

I put the seal piece on there and it seems to fit, but there is almost no retention. I can see this fall off the edge again after a short while.

However, after a quick search online, I realize none of the pictures online shows the presence of this seal piece. Now I am really confused.

Also, my common sense tells me a seal piece won't just fall off entirely as they should be glued on. If it's bad quality, the seal might fall off half way or something. I could be wrong though.

My questions are,
Does that piece really belong there?
Do you have any idea what it's for?
Do you coupe owners all see this piece on your car? Is it still in place?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 08-15-2019, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

C'mon Mods, see this thread and post # 4 in it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...s-come-220026/
How many more times must this question be asked before the answer is made a sticky????????