F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs. Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Coupe vs. Convertible

OK the Jag dealer near me (British Motors) finally got a couple coupes in. I drove the V8R which is similar to my V8S. Car feels heavier but not really in a bad way. More planted and refined. Reminded me a bit of the SLS. Sound is reduced traction control improved (my S wants to move sideways even at Freeway speeds the R does not). But it feels slower (likely because the reduced sound and more refined control) it’s less of a beast. I like the sun roof, but I’d wait for the Sync option (not available until August) as it allows you to run apps from the dash (iOS, Android, AND Windows Phone), meaning you can run your own Nav (Waze). They’ve done something to the suspension it is not as harsh as the S which makes this a much better traveling car especially because the trunk is much larger but damned if I don’t miss the wind in my hair. Gas cap still doesn’t lock (in the US). Sounds like they did some work on the sound system but that could be just better acoustics in the coup. In the end they are actually very different cars to drive. I think I’d miss the beast and the wind in my hair.
Pictures are of my S and the R same Ultimate Black and mostly Black out Kit.

Attached Thumbnails Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-1-.jpg   Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-2-.jpg   Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-3-.jpg   Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-4-.jpg   Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-5-.jpg  

Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-6-.jpg   Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-7-.jpg   Coupe vs. Convertible-ftyper1-8-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by enderle:
jleuz1 (05-03-2014), sklimii (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Is Sync retro-updatable? I read about it and didn't know it was going in the F.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Default Don't Know

Originally Posted by New2Jag

I doubt it but didn't ask the question.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Luckily, this does not matter to me. I just got my 2015 V8 S without this phone thing and I want as little distraction while driving - I turn my phone silent with the vibrate option off. I can call and text people later! I can check out the rest of the apps on my phone while not driving!

Last edited by enfield; 05-04-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Default Waze

I'd agree with you if it weren't for Waze and Cortana. Waze is best for traffic and police alerts, and Cortana is brilliant for voice interaction.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Do you have a link to where it says Waze will be compatible? I haven't found anything. The initial apps they have listed are:
iHeart Radio; Inrix; Stitcher; Glympse; Sygic; Parkopedia; Hotelseeker; Cityseeker; Airmotion News; Winston and Mobile Day.

One of my biggest complaints about any incar navigation is that it is outdated before the car even hits the lot and I'm not just talking about the maps. The whole navigation software itself lacks the ease of use and features of what you can find on your phone. Being able to pull up a nav like Waze complete with traffic and alerts would be huge. Puts it up there with the Model S which pulls in google maps (with waze traffic updates).

Old 05-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Default No Link

I was at a show with my Jaguar Sales Rep and he said that he was told it was full Sync so apps that run on the phone will link to the screen. It requires a hard connection and it looks like it remotes the phone screen and features to the car. I've seen this done in demos on the tech side. It won't show up in dealers until August. I'm going to try to run down the implementation over the next few weeks. I believe Jaguar will be implementing Intel's rain and snow lighting technology but don't have an ETA for that (this sees the rain drops and snow flakes and automatically alters the headlights so that most disappear. I've seen this in person and it is kind of like magic. This supports the news that Intel is doing the Sync platform. My Guess is this is a WiDi variant since Intel loves that technology. If it is then that supports the anything on your phone works on the screen but since this is hardwired and not wireless I'll need to do a little more research.

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/intel_widi

Jaguar Land Rover partners with Intel to develop in-car infotainment systems Latest News and Analysis on Car Tech in India - Thinkdigit

Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Apple announced their CarPlay system a couple weeks ago: Apple - CarPlay

Scroll way down and you'll see the car brands integrating with it. Jag is on the list of "future cars from committed partners".

It is like Airplay, where your iPad shares its screen with an AppleTV -- the CarPlay integration will take selected apps (Phone, Music, Messages, Maps, etc.) from your iPhone, and makes them available to be controlled via the car's touch screen. The apps still run on the iPhone. I would be pretty disappointed if the 2015 F Type coupes don't have a firmware upgrade to work with CarPlay when it is released in August.

Waze is a great app to use for driving, as it does a good job with routing, and announces all kinds of route issues, like congestion, breakdowns, cops. The big question is, will Apple allow it to run on CarPlay? Apple has a history of being restrictive with their ecosystem. I think they would allow it, except for the fact that Google bought Waze. Apple hates Google.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Enderle, I drove the V8S convertible before I ordered my R coupe and agree with your comments regarding the differences in how the cars drive. I got the V8S sideways on my test drive! The R is feels more planted, they've clearly worked on the suspension/torque vectoring system. Both are great, fun cars. Given our beautiful weather in the Northeast (not) I went with the coupe but would enjoy owning the vert as well....however I doubt I would still be married...

Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the V8 S convertible and just drove the coupe R yesterday at the "villains" program at Circuit of the Americas. They are both of course awesome. The coupe does feel more planted and the vert a bit more wild. They are both faster and more powerful than one can ever experience fully on the street. I took a lap with Roberto Guerrero (held Indy 500 record for 4 years and finished 2nd twice). His comment was that he couldn't believe this was a street car. I don't think anything comes close to this car when all is considered: power, design, price, etc. They are working hard to get enthusiasts to understand that this is a proper sports car--and it is.