Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible headroom

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coupe vs Convertible headroom

Hi all,

I'm looking to get the F type Coupe v6.
The problem is that I'm quite big (in both directions xD )
I tried sitting in the convertible version (since it is the only one they have in my country) and while I have no problem with the width and actually feel quite comfortable my head is almost scraping the roof (like an inch away) even after adjusting the seat.
I'm guessing the Coupe has more headroom, am I right?
Also I am planning on putting the panoramic roof, does that influence headroom in any way? ( I think I read about it somewhere).
And finally, the normal sport seats offer more room than the performance seats, right?

Thank you all in advance and sorry if it was discussed before, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for

Old 06-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I don't think there's any difference in headroom between the two, having sat in both. Moreover, if you go to the picture (sticky) thread at the top of the forum, you can likely find pictures of both side-by-side. They're the same height in the photos I've seen, and according to my recollection of coupes and convertibles sitting side-by-side on dealer lots.

Did you lower the seat all the way to the floor? I'm 6'2" and have several inches of clearance with my seat all the way down.

P.S. The std sports seats are more accommodating and comfortable, in my view, for larger people. I found the performance seats annoying around my shoulder area.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Guy Fawkes (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I am 6'2" as well and I can fit comfortably in the convertible with performance seats however it is pretty much set at the limits of the seat adjustment. You also do find the rear view mirror obscures the front visibility a bit.

Guy Fawkes (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 04:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes

Weren't you beheaded? I wouldn't think headroom would be an issue.

BierNut (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Headroom

6-1 adequate headroom in both The ragtop has great headroom when the top is down- though. I think there was more room in the ragtop as the panorama has some thickness. The first 2 days with the coupe I smacked my head pretty hard getting out - learned behavior no longer an issue though I warn my passengers.

Guy Fawkes (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Ha! You've earned yourself a point, sir.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Haha, just hung by the neck , maybe it made it longer which is causing the problem.

I am also 6 foot 2. Thing is I only had a chance to try adjusting the seat for a couple of minutes since it was at a promotional event. I will try to find a dealer with a Coupe somewhere reasonably close to me and then fiddle with the seat for a bit longer.
Do you taller people also recline the seat a bit backwards or is just adjusting the height of it enough?
Once again, thank you all for your fast and helpful answers.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

There's not a lot of recline in either coupe or convertible since the rear bulkhead is only a couple of inches behind the seat adjusted all the way back. I do recline it as much as possible, which still leaves me fairly upright with plenty of headroom. I'm actually a click or two forward from the rearward position at 6'2," which give me a little more recline.

The seat does adjust down very low, and that's the main thing you should check. It's actually one of the more comfortable driving positions in any car I've owned.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes
Haha, just hung by the neck , maybe it made it longer which is causing the problem.

I am also 6 foot 2. Thing is I only had a chance to try adjusting the seat for a couple of minutes since it was at a promotional event. I will try to find a dealer with a Coupe somewhere reasonably close to me and then fiddle with the seat for a bit longer.
Do you taller people also recline the seat a bit backwards or is just adjusting the height of it enough?
Once again, thank you all for your fast and helpful answers.
I have the Performance seats (in 2015 V6S Coupe) and 6' 1" tall and not exactly tiny at 230 pounds (never mind I should be 205; luckily 6' 1" helps), and find them extremely comfortable and supportive. I have the driver's side positioned at just the right height, for me, to see the top of the hood [vents]. When I'm driving a bit more aggressively I have the seat back closer to a 90 degree angle (probably not quite that straight, but close) whereas if I'm more inclined towards "leisure mode" (HA!) I have the seat slightly more reclined.

Bottom line is you shouldn't have a complaint in the world [re] seating.

Good luck.
RJ52