F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible Trunk Space???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coupe vs Convertible Trunk Space???

I have a convertible but might be moving to a R coupe. One of the big negatives about my car is the lack of trunk space.... I know it's not a deal breaker but it's tiny!

Can anyone compare the trunk space on a coupe vs. a Convertible?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only experience I have with the convertible trunk space is what Jermey Clarkson said on his Top gear review. My coupe has a ton of trunk space. I can fit pretty much anything. You also get a hidden compartment which can allow you to store even more stuff. Its a good size. Just dont expect to haul large ikea purchases or furniture.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

golf clubs in coupe without taking long woods out???

Old 01-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I have fitted the full size 20" rear wheel with 295/30R20 tyre attached in the rear of my coupe, so it's plenty big enough for most purposes.
I'm sure I've seen somewhere on this site and/or somwhere else on the Interwebz the exact cubic capacity of the vert trunk vs the coupe trunk, with a bit of searching you should be able to find it.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I tried to put a 4 ft dowel in my trunk today, coupe, could not. It fit up front, though. Use that as your golf club test.
Larry

Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have fitted the full size 20" rear wheel with 295/30R20 tyre attached in the rear of my coupe, so it's plenty big enough for most purposes.
I'm sure I've seen somewhere on this site and/or somwhere else on the Interwebz the exact cubic capacity of the vert trunk vs the coupe trunk, with a bit of searching you should be able to find it.
Convertible trunk space is 7 cu.ft. and the coupe is 11 with the security cover and 14.4 without. Clubs (one fat bag or two extremely skinny ones) will fit at the diagonal in the coupe . If you're too out of shape to carry your bag, you're SOL.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

In the coupe with the spare wheel out and the cover on I can fit 2 intact six bottle cases of sparkling plus a carton of beer plus another half dozen bottles of sparking (but not in the box) and other miscellaneous bottles of alcohol, and still have plenty of room for snacks.

Or the weeks shopping for a family of 4.

But a choice has to be made - one or the other, not both.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
In the coupe with the spare wheel out and the cover on I can fit 2 intact six bottle cases of sparkling plus a carton of beer plus another half dozen bottles of sparking (but not in the box) and other miscellaneous bottles of alcohol, and still have plenty of room for snacks.

Or the weeks shopping for a family of 4.

But a choice has to be made - one or the other, not both.
What does the jack look like that comes with the spare? Pic would be appreciated.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What does the jack look like that comes with the spare? Pic would be appreciated.
Give me a few minutes and I'll take a pic and post it up.
All Oz-delivered F-Types have a space-saver spare mounted in the trunk, with some tools including a scissor jack in a foam inset which sits inside the spare.
It's a real PITA because it takes up nearly all the available space and renders the coupe boot/trunk almost useless.
So the first thing I did was buy a puncture repair kit, one of those with plugs for nail holes, to supplement the goo and compressor kit which is also included on all Oz delivered F-Types, and then remove the space-saver completely.
The scissor jack (which comes with a built in winding handle), a proper wheel brace and both puncture repair kits all fit neatly in the little cubby/box under the trunk cover.
The only downside is the hole in the middle of the trunk cover that the spare wheel clampdown bolt goes through.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Pics as promised:

Old 01-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Fits:

120mm refractor telescope with mount and tripod - diagonally, and with lots of padding to keep things from shifting

Doesn't fit:
bicycle, even with both wheels removed (did not try very hard)
box containing intercooler from Volvo C30 (does not fit in passenger seat either, and I did try pretty hard on this, because i was trying to fetch it from storage: no dice)

I haven't tried other interesting things. Maybe this weekend, given good weather and sufficient boredom.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Convertible trunk space is 7 cu.ft. and the coupe is 11 with the security cover and 14.4 without. Clubs (one fat bag or two extremely skinny ones) will fit at the diagonal in the coupe . If you're too out of shape to carry your bag, you're SOL.
The bag boy 4 wheel cart and a titleist 4 stand bag will fit in the back of a vert. You have to take the wheels off the cart, which is a button push per wheel, but it all goes in with a little love.

That said, it's pretty much stuffed at that point. Lol

Old 01-13-2017, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Word trunk space probably not appropriate to conv. Even with fitted luggage better description is additional package space.Can still do limited Costco with paper towels in front seat.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Pics as promised:

There is no way that jack can be squeezed under my car, anyway, so no need to ponder a spare.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I have reported this elsewhere, but I got a ton of stuff in my convertible. You just need to be clever with where you put stuff. I have done the Costco run many times with toilet paper and paper towels in the cabin and all of the food and drinks in the back. I have also done a trip with another person in the car, all the luggage in the trunk and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff behind the seats where the convertible top would fold into. Surprisingly that space is very deep and can be accessed easily if you take the wind deflector out. I imagine that the coupe is a bit more practical though! And for everyday driving, I'd prefer to have a spare tire with me when I was not in need of space.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

The vert easily swallows a case of Coronas with a bottle of Buffalo Trace. How much more room do you really need?

Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

One of my buddies was giving me crap about making a Costco run in the vert. I took the spare out about a week after I took this pic. Pretty hard to fit a case of anything in with the spare. Since it was Costco, it's probably $200 of groceries.. lol.. It could have fit in the boot without spare... I think..

Costco may be the rare bird that makes me wish I had the coupe.

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
The vert easily swallows a case of Coronas with a bottle of Buffalo Trace. How much more room do you really need?
There's a good argument for that. I might add mac-n-cheese to round out the food groups though...

Attached Thumbnails Coupe vs Convertible Trunk Space???-img_0827.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyAir; 01-13-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

There is no way that jack can be squeezed under my car, anyway, so no need to ponder a spare.
Lance,

I just checked and my jack wasn't quite wound down the whole way in that pic, so I've now wound it all the way, and the clearance height is 3 and 1/4 inches or 82 mm, if that helps.
Yes, and I know what you mean about jacks and lowered cars, with my old XFS that I lowered my existing trolley jacks suddenly became useless and I had to go out and buy a pair of low-entry jacks!

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Lance,

I just checked and my jack wasn't quite wound down the whole way in that pic, so I've now wound it all the way, and the clearance height is 3 and 1/4 inches or 82 mm, if that helps.
Yes, and I know what you mean about jacks and lowered cars, with my old XFS that I lowered my existing trolley jacks suddenly became useless and I had to go out and buy a pair of low-entry jacks!
Plenty of clearance for me: 4.75 front, 5.5 rear.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

You can't fit a baby car seat that's still in the box in the coupe trunk, but you can fit it in the passenger seat.