F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of questions about the Tornado wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default A couple of questions about the Tornado wheel

In an effort to become better educated about the wheels on my car, I ask the following questions:
  1. I had planned on using Meguire's Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner as an aid in ridding the wheels of the brake dust with which we are constantly in battle. However, I see that the Meguire's product is not recommended for "coated" wheels. I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "coated" but my Tornado wheels have a rather slick, smooth surface to them with very little texture. Is that a sign of some kind of coating?
  2. I have read lots of good reviews about Chemical Guys' MaxCoat Wheel Guard and its' ability to create a surface to which brake dust does not so readily adhere. As the surface of the Tornado wheel is as smooth and untextured as it is, would it benefit at all from this product?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you are better off using a ceramic coating on your paint and rims. I personally used Opti Gloss Coat.

You get an extra layer of protection on top of your existing clear coat. It repels water, prevents water spots, gives UV protection, creates an extra slick high gloss surface and is less susceptible to swirl marks when washing your car.

Applying this to your wheels won’t eliminate the accumulation of brake dust. But, it will minimize it and will wash off easier when cleaning.

https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-glo...t-coating.html

It lasts for approximately 2 years.

Last edited by Andy2017; 11-22-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've also read many positive reviews for polymer products like the one cited. How goof-proof are these? Is it possible, if used by a rank amateur, to somehow gunk up the wheels using polymer products like these?

I'm still curious about the Tornado wheels though. Are they coated with something?

Old 11-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

I would take Andy's advice and watch a couple Youtube Vids on how to apply a ceramic coating (plenty to do the wheels can be had for $50).

When I powdercoated my Gyrodynes I had my wheels in my living room watching TV (lol - obviously unmarried) and meticulously applied a product just like MAXcoat.

If I could do it over I would have applied a CC + something like MaxCoat (wait 24+ hours after CC).

Old 11-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

I used Wheel Wax, while it helped a little not worth the work to put it on and take it off. Number one way to cut dust is to go with the Porterfields talked about on the forum. If and when I need pads I'm going to change to these. I use many Chemical Guys products and would try their's before Wheel Wax. They have a site on Amazon with free shipping with Prime.As an aside I just cleaned my roof with their product and it is super black again, first time I've done this in 4 years! Also use their waterless car wash.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:04 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

As far as your first question goes - your wheels are indeed 'coated' - they are painted and then clear coated. Some wheel cleaners you will find (and the one you mention is probably one) were designed for old style 'mag wheels' which were made of 'bare metal' - aluminum often - those types of cleaners (like metal polish) are somewhat abrasive and or chemically harsh and will eventually just dull and then remove the paint by abrasion which is why they shouldn't be used on 'coated' wheels. Pained wheels really should be treated the same way you'd treat paint on any other part of the car.

I'll defer to other members advice on what may help with brake dust, but its tenacious stuff - whoever can formulate a product that will stop it sticking to wheels will no doubt make a fortune...!

The following 2 users liked this post by mshedden:
DPelletier (11-23-2017), woodturner (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2017
I think you are better off using a ceramic coating on your paint and rims. I personally used Opti Gloss Coat.

You get an extra layer of protection on top of your existing clear coat. It repels water, prevents water spots, gives UV protection, creates an extra slick high gloss surface and is less susceptible to swirl marks when washing your car.

Applying this to your wheels won’t eliminate the accumulation of brake dust. But, it will minimize it and will wash off easier when cleaning.

https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-glo...t-coating.html

It lasts for approximately 2 years.
My formula:
Step 1: I used Opti Gloss Coat too - easy to do yourself.
Step 2: get the porter field pads (I had a brake guy install)
Step 3: wash regularly (good rinse, followed by griots heavy duty wheel cleaner or sonax, followed by car shampoo, followed by griots speed shine or similar paint detailer)
Step 4: enjoy beautiful shiny wheels