F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupler to new supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coupler to new supercharger

2017 SVR with about 18,000 miles. A few months ago I had the dealer replace the coolant pipes to the newer version, yes not the alloy version as I have 4 years of warranty from JLR on it still. Meanwhile, while they were in there I had them change the coupler and nose housing as it was a bit noisy. Since then it has even been more noisier than before and does the extra couple of clunks on shutoff. So this past week with their very experienced tech he came out to the car (great guy for sure) and he removed the supercharger belt so we could turn the nose by hand and it was fairly tight but a little tiny bit of slippage but wiggling it back and forth it sounded like the vanes maybe are worn as the noise was more in the middle of the motor. They agreed and are making a pitch to JLR to replace the supercharger. Any tips or thoughts and suggestions on this? Could it have been a poor fit from earlier this spring part changes or do the vanes wear like that? Happy to get a new supercharger if approved but still scratching my head a bit...

Old 05-25-2023, 01:40 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

How did you manage to get such a long term JLR warranty? Is that a Canada thing?

Old 05-25-2023, 02:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy extended warranty from the dealer before your OEM warranty expires. At least for us in Canada we can.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:53 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

In the UK we can buy extended warranties (within a certain time of the previous one expiring) up to 100,000 miles. I only extended once - my independent keeps it running sweetly for less than the warranty renewal price!

Old 05-25-2023, 04:46 PM

I added 4 years and in Canadian it was $6,000.00 Not exactly cheap but will tell you how good it is once I know they will cover the supercharger. Most of these warranties like full blown failures before they go ahead.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by RobMar
I added 4 years and in Canadian it was $6,000.00 Not exactly cheap but will tell you how good it is once I know they will cover the supercharger. Most of these warranties like full blown failures before they go ahead.
I have another 1 yr of original warranty left and if I like the car enough to keep it beyond that, will talk to the dealer about extending it. I assume you don't have to do 4 and can do shorter terms for cheaper? Any ideas on cost? I am also in E-town...and we only have the one JLR dealer as you know I am sure.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:20 AM

I purchased mine from Jag Kelowna as that is where the car is from. The price for 4 years was $6K CAD. They did have 1 year and up policies including a 3rd party warranty as well. Same stuff is sold at the Go Auto Jag. Give them a shout and see what they quote you.

The following users liked this post:
Jaaaaag (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 08:10 PM

I got mine from Porsche though they sourced it for me from JLR anyway so I am familiar with Go Auto, will definitely take a look down the line. But for now with a solid year still remaining will see how I am feeling about the car in a year.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:41 PM

Update on my post. The dealer received the approval from Jag to replace the supercharger and when I went to pickup the car it was significantly quieter with no more diesel type noise. Very happy of course and even more happier it did not cost me anything.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:33 AM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMar
Update on my post. The dealer received the approval from Jag to replace the supercharger and when I went to pickup the car it was significantly quieter with no more diesel type noise. Very happy of course and even more happier it did not cost me anything.
That dealer replaced the coupler with an aftermarket one? JLR does not sell the coupler by itself, so perhaps they replaced the snout only before. That is the only way JLR sells an upgrade. If they just did a solid coupler replacement, then your dealer did you a solid by keeping that quiet, because most likely JLR would not have covered under warranty otherwise. Just curious, but happy it is working nevertheless.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
That dealer replaced the coupler with an aftermarket one? JLR does not sell the coupler by itself, so perhaps they replaced the snout only before. That is the only way JLR sells an upgrade. If they just did a solid coupler replacement, then your dealer did you a solid by keeping that quiet, because most likely JLR would not have covered under warranty otherwise. Just curious, but happy it is working nevertheless.
I think you have misread RobMar's posts, he says that the dealer first changed the SC snout (and coupler) and as we know that is the official warranty fix for a rattly coupler, but the SC was still very noisy so eventually the dealer replaced the entire SC.
At no point did the dealer replace just the SC coupler.