F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Value

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default CPO Value

I'm presently considering trading my 2010 XKR for a 2014 F-type. Near me there are two similar cars: same color, mileage is close and both have excellent cosmetics. One is being sold by a BMW dealer and the other by a Jaguar dealer.
The dealer car is CPO and the BMW dealer's is not.

Net out the door, the dealer car is about $6000 more expensive.

What do you think the CPO warranty is worth?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

The jaguar dealers in my area (northeast US) basically told me for them to offer a vehicle as CPO, they have to pay like $1800-1900 to Jaguar after passing the certification inspection and addressing anything that would keep it from meeting CPO standards (i.e. tire wear less than 60% or something to that effect). That being said, the going rate for 3-4 year aftermarket warranties for this type of car can range from 2000-6000 depending on duration and the level of exclusions. I purchased a 4yr aftermarket warranty on our G500 for about $4500 and haven't used it yet.

All that being said, I feel much more comfortable with the Jag warranty than the after market warranty on the Mercedes. I was NOT buying my F-type without CPO, but would have kept looking if I thought the dealer price was too high.

If the vehicles are truly similar (apples to apples) I would say the cost for the same car with/without CPO should be around 2k (since that is what it costs to the dealer).

my .02

Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexKeyWest
I'm presently considering trading my 2010 XKR for a 2014 F-type. Near me there are two similar cars: same color, mileage is close and both have excellent cosmetics. One is being sold by a BMW dealer and the other by a Jaguar dealer.
The dealer car is CPO and the BMW dealer's is not.

Net out the door, the dealer car is about $6000 more expensive.

What do you think the CPO warranty is worth?
Zero

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-04-2017 at 05:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rand Thor (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

not sure on jaguar costs, but porsche is $2400. it should be comparable.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I would value a CPO on a F Type at 3-$4,000. Dealer cost doesn't matter to me, the cost to me is all that matters.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

CPO costs dealer about $2k to Jag plus tires if needed. My 2 year extended cost $32k on a special, so if you can get dealer to just cost out CPO to sell car it is better.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the specs of the cars so we know how desirable they are? How long have the 2 cars been on their respective lots? There's a lot of pre-owned F-Type inventory out there and it's December, so it's a buyer's market if you can play your cards right.

Did you negotiate the price of the F-Type before mentioning your trade or did you tell them about your trade up front? In theory, the Jag dealer should give you a higher trade in value on your XKR. If you've saved all of the maintenance records on your XKR, you should bring them with you to help in the negotiation. I helped my mother with her trade in earlier this year and the dealership loved that she had everything including her oil changes. She got above book value for the car even though it had a Carfax blip from when she was rear-ended in a parking lot.

Also, it's early in the month and when dealerships haven't hit their #'s by Xmas, they will be more likely to negotiate during that last week. You do run the risk of losing out on the car, but at least there is another local one available. I personally love negotiating (especially when it's not done in person) and you'll probably have to walk out of the dealership(s) a few times. If you're too emotionally invested in one car, it will cost you $$$; but if they give you a great deal, you need to be ready to sign before someone else does.