Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield

Hi Guys!
We have a huge crack in the windshield, it’s around 2” from the top Of the glass and runs around 18” from left to right, so obviously it’s going to need a new one.

I have the glass coverage on my Insurance with no deductible but seeing as this is my first time dealing with a replacement I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to give me some advice, should I just go to the Dealer? Or one of those Mobile glass replacement outfits? I know I should speak to my insurance first.

I guess at the end of the day I would just like an OEM windshield, well installed and no regrets afterwards.

Any advice from someone who has been through this would be gratefully accepted.

cheers and stay well.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (06-27-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
Hi Guys!
We have a huge crack in the windshield, it’s around 2” from the top Of the glass and runs around 18” from left to right, so obviously it’s going to need a new one.

I have the glass coverage on my Insurance with no deductible but seeing as this is my first time dealing with a replacement I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to give me some advice, should I just go to the Dealer? Or one of those Mobile glass replacement outfits? I know I should speak to my insurance first.

I guess at the end of the day I would just like an OEM windshield, well installed and no regrets afterwards.

cheers and stay well.
Over the years, I found that Safelite always did an impeccable job and always offered the house brand as well as the OEM windshield that they would source from a local dealer. Your insurance company is obligated to provide an OEM part if one is available. I wouldn’t trust a specialty operation (like windshield installation or wheel alignment) to a general service shop like the dealer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
scm (05-11-2020), Uk2usa (05-11-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I used a mobile glass place, coordinated through my insurance company. I have the same kind of coverage. I had the option of requiring OEM glass so took it. I had no problems with the process at all.

Uk2usa (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Always best to ask for the OEM windshield, due to the cameras and sensors involved!

Uk2usa (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I found that my Mercedes dealer used Safelite anyway back in'12 but Safelite preferred to do it at the dealer, don't know why, maybe they order OEM from them?

Uk2usa (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Hi Guys! Thanks very much for all the feedback. I called my insurance, Metlife, and it turns out they contract with Safelite.

It’s more than a Windshield these days, it’s heated with lane departure, traffic sign recognition etc. but they re-calibrate everything. Apparently the Glass is hard to come by, I made an appointment for next week but they said they may have to change that if they can’t get the glass.

I will update when it’s done for future reference for anyone who has to go through the same thing.

Thanks again!

andykreb (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 01:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I had the replace the windshield on my XE not long after purchasing the car (rock). Same deal - IR, lane departure, etc. Took it to a local JN Phillips (acquired by Safelite last year), they dealt with insurance, got the OEM windshield ASAP, and did a good job.

I know some non-Jag dealers don't even bother with windshields, they have a mobile installer come in to do it. Don't know about Jag.

Uk2usa (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

This thread is timely as just today I had the windshield on my 2016 coupe replaced by the Safelite mobile team and they did a fine job. They procured the windshield from a Jaguar dealer and it took them about 4 days to get it in, which I didn't think was at all bad. The first attempt they were given the wrong windshield part# by the insurance company so after running the VIN themselves were able to source the proper screen. I don't have the heated windshield/lane departure/sign recognition/toaster oven option so the replacement was pretty straight forward. I have AmFam so I was just out my deductible. Had I had to pay out of pocket I would have been looking at about ~$1500 for a windshield replacement, yeoch!

Last edited by Badger79; 05-11-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Uk2usa (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

I wish OUR F had the Toaster Oven option. Must smell SO GOOD when the toast is almost ready!

DOWNSIDE: Has the potential to startle you when it pops, I bet.

Uk2usa (05-12-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
Hi Guys!

cheers and stay well.
Just a follow up....

if it wasn’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all!!

I had the Windshield replaced by Safelite, they did a fantastic job, $2041 out the Door with zero deductible thanks to MetLife .

Then, within a couple of weeks, I got a call from my Wife, it’s her daily driver, in fact, it’s her Car really, another direct hit on the NEW windshield, this time the crack went vertically from top to bottom, the hit is very visible at the top, so today, I have an appointment to have the second one installed today. That’s over $4000 worth of windshields in a month!!

By the way, in both cases Metlife approved OEM Jaguar glass.

Wish me luck with this one.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:30 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Over the years, I found that Safelite always did an impeccable job and always offered the house brand as well as the OEM windshield that they would source from a local dealer. Your insurance company is obligated to provide an OEM part if one is available. I wouldn’t trust a specialty operation (like windshield installation or wheel alignment) to a general service shop like the dealer.
+1 - I used to work in thee car business in Florida where the state pays glass deductibles so I have worked with many glass replacements and Safelite has been excellent and they usually offer numerous solutions - i.e. OEM, tinted etc. and their installers are generally excellent.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I used safelite as well and they did it at their shop and I got to watch the whole process with them. Was very impressed with the quality and they talked me through the whole process. They even discovered that the factory seal was not a good one on the original and that the bead was not complete at the bottom allowing for the potential of water being driven up from underneath. Luckily no water or damage had occurred but they made sure the seal on the new one was complete. Was interesting to watch.

Uk2usa (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Both my Jag dealer and our Maser dealer use Safelite, with a markup of course.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2015 Type R Windshield options

Need some help from you folks that have used Safelite..and a 2015, doubt the R matters, but just in case..
I just called to schedule the nice lady said there is a LONG list of OEM windshields for our cars, we went down the options the best we could, but a few of them I was not sure about..

Any one able to let me know what the 2015s should have I might have missed?
My car has blind spot, which I doubt matters on the the windshield, but did ask about land depart and assist, but I don't have those.
I have the auto dimming Headlights and Mirror, auto sensing wipers.

She mentioned auto condensation removal, I don't think I have put the car in that situation to know for sure..
She mentioned some kind of tint to help protect the car interior, I have tinted windows and not Original owner..
She mentioned heated windshield.. I don't think so, but don't want the wrong glass...

we came up with a guess, but I am not big on guessing, I like to know.. She also has my Vin.

Thank you all in advance for you help.

Pete

Old 09-15-2020, 11:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Black15FTR
She mentioned heated windshield.. I don't think so, but don't want the wrong glass...
If your rear window demister switch is double width, you don't have a heated front screen - for that you'll have two equal width switches next to each other. And you can see the thin filaments if you look carefully.

Black15FTR (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 11:35 AM
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Heated windscreen would have small but visible wires running vertically throughout. My '16 coupe has blindspot detection, no lane departure/warning, auto dimming lights and mirror, rain sensing wipers and condensation detection. Condensation detection will have a small black box mounted to the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror. Satellite ordered the wrong windshield the first time for me, despite having the VIN. Attached are pics of the number on my replacement screen, picture of the condensation sensor and part#s from the Safelite work order.

Last edited by Badger79; 09-15-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Black15FTR (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Badger79
Heated windscreen would have small but visible wires running vertically throughout. My '16 coupe has blindspot detection, no lane departure/warning, auto dimming lights and mirror, rain sensing wipers and condensation detection. Condensation detection will have a small black box mounted to the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror. Satellite ordered the wrong windshield the first time for me, despite having the VIN. Attached are pics of the number on my replacement screen, picture of the condensation sensor and part#s from the Safelite work order.

Okay I have little box to the right with the little cut vents in it, I have the two sensors you can see right in the front...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black15FTR View Post
If your rear window demister switch is double width, you don't have a heated front screen - for that you'll have two equal width switches next to each other. And you can see the thin filaments if you look carefully.

My switches go 3 single one double(flasher is double) Single, double single.. so no heated front then.

I think you two have me needing the same one badger has..
I will call her back Thank you BOTH! Very much.

Pete

Old 09-15-2020, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I just pulled out my Safelite receipt and it doesn't have the actual part number used. I'm not sure what year the windshield changed (maybe 2017?) but later glass blocks radar detectors and toll transponders. I think it's to keep the car cooler inside, but it does have side-effects.

Black15FTR (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 12:48 PM

Read him the part number off your sheet.. we again confirmed options.. set new date to have it done..
cost me 200.00 more than first bid, but not complaining.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Black15FTR
Read him the part number off your sheet.. we again confirmed options.. set new date to have it done..
cost me 200.00 more than first bid, but not complaining.
Your insurance company won't pay for it?

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield