F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cross bar in front grill

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cross bar in front grill

Is there any way to remove the black cross bar in the front grill without major body work or customizations? I want to get it out as it would look so much cleaner. Any one do this?

Old 09-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I was contemplating removing mine so I could have it faux carbon fiber treated but haven't done so yet. I suspect it isn't meant to be removed permanently simply because the Brits require some frontal protection for pedestrian collisions. I'd be willing to bet that's why it's there.
If you find out how to remove it I'd like to know also.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

At Laguna Seca I noticed the Project 7 didn't have the front cross bar.

I mentioned this to one of the Jag representatives and he said something along the lines that it was there for safety/legal reasons. Would love to get rid of itself myself, looks much cleaner without that bar.

Keep us posted if you try to remove it.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

there are 2 parking sensors in the cross bar that you would have to relocate. You can't just unplug them because the system defaults to thinking something is in the way if it can't find the sensor (had a loaner XF that was missing a sensor and it was beeping constantly)

Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Someone at the dealership said it comes off with a couple of bolts.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
there are 2 parking sensors in the cross bar that you would have to relocate. You can't just unplug them because the system defaults to thinking something is in the way if it can't find the sensor (had a loaner XF that was missing a sensor and it was beeping constantly)
The OP appears to have a base car, which doesn't have parking sensors unless he ordered the Vision Pkg as an option.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Agreed, delete the front bumper and relocate the sensors if necessary.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 AM

If it is a few bolts I would not hesitate to do it. I cant really see if there is grill behind the bar. Anyone have any acess to any photos?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ftypeguy
If it is a few bolts I would not hesitate to do it. I cant really see if there is grill behind the bar. Anyone have any acess to any photos?

The person I spoke to was removing the cross bar to repaint them to match the car color. He said it was easy to remove with just a couple of bolts. After looking at mine I can see there is no grille behind the cross bar so you would need a new grille. He suggested that when the Project 7 comes out that grille might fit, so you might want to wait for that one.

Or Arden makes a grille for $1400, picture attached.

The other problem is where to attach the sensors so they work properly.

Attached Thumbnails cross bar in front grill-jaguar-arden-f-type-2.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by jleuz1:
DGL (09-23-2014), dwmilton (04-06-2022)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
The person I spoke to was removing the cross bar to repaint them to match the car color. He said it was easy to remove with just a couple of bolts. After looking at mine I can see there is no grille behind the cross bar so you would need a new grille. He suggested that when the Project 7 comes out that grille might fit, so you might want to wait for that one.

That's what I'm talking about. Looks so much better. One should be able to custom make the grille. Arden is so expensive. WTF is with the leaper, so retro.

Attached Thumbnails cross bar in front grill-96505d1411516587-cross-bar-front-grill-jaguar-arden-f-type-2.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 09-23-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jleuz1

I contacted Arden and unfortunately the full grille in the photo is a prototype and they need to change it to accommodate the parking sensors. They expect to have the full grille production version with sensor accommodation in 2 weeks.

No price yet. They quoted me $1145 plus shipping for their grille that uses the cross-bar.

Attached Thumbnails cross bar in front grill-jaguar-arden-f-type-2.jpg  

Last edited by jleuz1; 09-24-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm curious, where will you put the license plate?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

In the mouth over your expensive new Arden grill.

In all seriousness, there are a number of U.S. states (mine included), where front plate enforcement is rigorous and more than just an offense with fines attached. It means points on your driving record and the accompanying insurance rate increases. I'll keep my bar, thanks.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:14 AM

The hidden motorized plate holder works great . Had it on 5 of my cars. Cant see it at all when hidden and if you get pulled over you hit the switch and it deploys and you cannot be given a ticket. I plan on one if I can get rid of that hidious bar in my grille!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I've seen those, and they've been around for awhile. I don't quite see how that works on this car though, with the design and height of the air splitter.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:10 AM

you can actually mount it under the bottom edge of the splitter with no mods and it works fine just reduces ground clearance by 1/2 inch.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Banned
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
I'm curious, where will you put the license plate?
Some of you that obsess over license plates need to grow a pair.

I reside in Southern California where the Highway Patrol and Sheriff dept. are known to be quite **** about equipment violations. Any reason to pull you over just to see - once they've stopped you - if there is anything far more nefarious that they can cite you or haul you off to jail for.

For the last 14 years, I've had no plates on my Mercedes. None! Front or Rear! Its become quite the topic of conversation in my circle of friends who continually scratch their head wondering how I pull that off... One word:

*****!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aJAGMan
Some of you that obsess over license plates need to grow a pair.

I reside in Southern California where the Highway Patrol and Sheriff dept. are known to be quite **** about equipment violations. Any reason to pull you over just to see - once they've stopped you - if there is anything far more nefarious that they can cite you or haul you off to jail for.

For the last 14 years, I've had no plates on my Mercedes. None! Front or Rear! Its become quite the topic of conversation in my circle of friends who continually scratch their head wondering how I pull that off... One word:

*****!!!
LMAO. Bring your "pair" and your car to my state in that condition, and let's see how long they last.

In some places it means real points and real fines. I lived in CA for 10 years, and what you do was and is common--you're right no big deal. No one around here runs without a front plate for more than a week or two after getting a new car, which they also think is "too pretty for the front plate." They learned the hard way and quickly.

In this respect and in many other ways, CA is NOT representative of the majority of the U.S.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM

As my recollection CA doesnt run "temp" plates for new cars or recently purchased cars they apply a sticker (which is impossible to see in the windshield unless the car is parked) so it is not outright obvious to run without plates. In NJ you get a temp for the back of your car that mounts where the plate goes you wont make it 2 miles without tags as it is too obvious. I like CA for that reason now there smog testing is a diff story! lol

Old 09-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
LMAO. Bring your "pair" and your car to my state in that condition, and let's see how long they last.

In some places it means real points and real fines. I lived in CA for 10 years, and what you do was and is common--you're right no big deal. No one around here runs without a front plate for more than a week or two after getting a new car, which they also think is "too pretty for the front plate." They learned the hard way and quickly.

In this respect and in many other ways, CA is NOT representative of the majority of the U.S.

After living in CA for 12 years I don't think they consider themselves part of the U.S. With the 6th largest GNP in the world they are their own country. Hmmm...maybe they will take a hint from Scotland although in California's case those supporting independence would win.

Never allowed a front license plate on my car there. Why ruin that beautiful face? Never stopped by CHP or local police.

Quick Reply: cross bar in front grill