F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Deceleration Question - Just Me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control Deceleration Question - Just Me?

Anyone else find this infuriating (or is there a problem with my car?) about his/her F-Type (mine's a '14 V8 S):

So, once the cruise speed is set, you can then accelerate by 1 MPH increments by tapping the + button for a second (the display will show the new 'cruise speed' on the center TFT). 3 quick presses raises the speed by 3 MPH, 4 presses by 4 MPH and so on. However, to reduce the cruise speed, you have to hold down the - button, wait for the car to decelerate to the speed you want (which it never consistently does) and then release the button. You can't slow it down in 1 MPH increments by tapping the - button, so I always overshoot the speed I want and then have to adjust upwards again to compensate. Sometimes, it takes a few seconds for the car to even begin slowing down.

And I can't believe the Cruise Control doesn't apply brakes on downward slopes to prevent the car from accelerating past the set speed. My 2008 C300 and my mom's 2006 330Xi do that!

Old 10-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Its your car.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine will go down in 1 mph increments. But I have never had a car that applied the brakes with Cruise. However, I have had cars that will downshift to slow down the car. Never liked that. Yes, the Jaguar will just keep going faster if you are going downhill, although I have not tried the speed limiter function, which would probably stop you from accelerating.

Larry

Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Default No Kidding?

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Its your car.
Thank you! I'll bring it in.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Default Thank you for your reply.

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Mine will go down in 1 mph increments. But I have never had a car that applied the brakes with Cruise. However, I have had cars that will downshift to slow down the car. Never liked that. Yes, the Jaguar will just keep going faster if you are going downhill, although I have not tried the speed limiter function, which would probably stop you from accelerating.

Larry
Much appreciated!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,113 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I think it actually goes by 1/2 MPH increments - you have to hit it twice to see any difference in the displayed setting.

I tried the speed limiter ("ASL") once, just to see if it worked. It does.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Default Thank you.

Originally Posted by DJS
I think it actually goes by 1/2 MPH increments - you have to hit it twice to see any difference in the displayed setting.

I tried the limiter once also (I don't know why I'd ever really need it) - it prohibits accelerating past a certain speed when you depress the gas pedal, but I'm not sure whether it will go so far as to apply the brakes (or downshift) when traveling downhill to prohibit the car from exceeding the pre-set speed.

I have also tried double and triple taps of the - button but nothing seems to happen. I don't get any deceleration until I've been holding the button down for more than two or three seconds. The + button works on 1 MPH increments, so I will see whether two quick taps makes any difference.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I believe it increases or decreases by one km per press like my BMW did.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ferrugia
I tried the limiter once also (I don't know why I'd ever really need it) - it prohibits accelerating past a certain speed when you depress the gas pedal, ...
Full throttle will temporarily override the ASL

Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

You would know.

Seriously, it's a strange sensation to have the gas pedal do absolutely nothing, until you press it to the floor.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS

ah that explains it. i was experiencing the same thing as the OP, but now I know why at times it was kind of working on our vacation. 1/2 mph increments makes mechanical sense, but make so practical sense. goofy design if so.

thanks

Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
You would know...

Old 10-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Default That's interesting.

Originally Posted by Mbourne
ah that explains it. i was experiencing the same thing as the OP, but now I know why at times it was kind of working on our vacation. 1/2 mph increments makes mechanical sense, but make so practical sense. goofy design if so.

thanks
I'm taking the car out for a short trip later today and will be sure to try again (2 presses to decelerate 1 MPH, 4 Presses for 2 MPH). That didn't seem to work for me last time, but then again I was just pressing the button over and over in frustration. If that's the case, then yes; a VERY dopey way to program the CC system. The buttons should be consistent for both accelerating and decelerating.

I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer for next week (second time to sort out an annoying buzz from the fold-down center arm-rest caused by the stereo) and will add the CC as an issue to look at if my car doesn't slow down in those .5 MPH increments.

Thanks so much for your comment.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I believe it increases or decreases by one km per press like my BMW did.
You may be right. I did a quick test last night, and it seems like sometimes two presses would drop the displayed setting by 1MPH, and sometimes one press would.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

The cruise control goes up, and down, in 1 unit settings (could be mph opr km/h depending on your setup). There is no half unit settings, however you do need to press the down button momentarily longer than you do the up button for it to register the change. That may be where the confusion is coming from. If you press the button firmly till it hits the stop then let it return then it will always lower the set speed by 1 unit, but if you just tap it quickly like a volume button it requires two taps.

Why? If deliberate then I suspect it is to prevent people pressing it by accident, or if not then as the selected switch is detected via a resistor ladder it is possible it may take fractionally longer for the voltage to get to the required value for that one button versus the up one. Either way, a firm press always reduced the speed by one unit on my car.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,229 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I checked out my cruise control up and down buttons yesterday, and they both worked perfectly IMHO. The up button increased the speed by 2 km/h with a single gentle press, and the down button decreased the speed by 2 km/h with a single gentle press. I didn't reset the units to see what happened with mph. Remembering that the rough conversion factor is km/h = 1.6 x mph.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

The ASL in mine does not get overridden by pressing the go pedal to the floor, at least not by pressing it slowly. I've never tried nailing it with the ASL on.

And my CC doesn't work well. It is difficult to engage and the + - buttons are slow. The one time that I had the dealer look at it they found no problem. I know there is, but until they agree...

Old 10-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
The ASL in mine does not get overridden by pressing the go pedal to the floor, at least not by pressing it slowly. I've never tried nailing it with the ASL on.

And my CC doesn't work well. It is difficult to engage and the + - buttons are slow. The one time that I had the dealer look at it they found no problem. I know there is, but until they agree...
Have the dealer check out the lack of ASL override. That may be part of the same problem with the CC and you'd get them both fixed.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by
So, once the cruise speed is set, you can then accelerate by 1 MPH increments by tapping the [B
+[/B] button for a second (the display will show the new 'cruise speed' on the center TFT). 3 quick presses raises the speed by 3 MPH, 4 presses by 4 MPH and so on. However, to reduce the cruise speed, you have to hold down the - button, wait for the car to decelerate to the speed you want (which it never consistently does) and then release the button. You can't slow it down in 1 MPH increments by tapping the - button, so I always overshoot the speed I want and then have to adjust upwards again to compensate. Sometimes, it takes a few seconds for the car to even begin slowing down.
same behaviour on my car ( V8S MY14 built 8/2013 ) after applying the
oxigen sensor fix K309 . Prior the fix I was able to adjust the speed in 1km/h increments up and down so I think it's a software related problem caused by the ECU update .
Being out of warranty no chance for me to get it fixed by the dealer anymore.

Regards
Ulrich