F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTECK battery charger installation question

Search this Thread

Old Today, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTECK battery charger installation question

To those of you who use the CTEK battery charger, do you wire the quick connect directly to the battery or to the bus bar in the box next to the battery? Thanks!

Old Today, 08:35 AM
Received 158 Likes on 118 Posts

Do not connect directly to the battery. That will bypass the battery management system.

The following users liked this post:
jcolman (Today)
Old Today, 08:36 AM
Received 111 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine is connected to the bus bar, as per my photo in this post

As far as I'm aware, it's also not advised to connect directly to the battery due to potential trouble with the BMS (Battery Management System), but that might be my mis-reading posts and putting 2 and 2 together to make tangerine.

jcolman (Today)
Old Today, 08:40 AM
Received 460 Likes on 248 Posts

I've done it both ways. I've had it wired up directly to the battery posts (both positive and negative) on both my 2018 and my 2023 and did not have any issues when doing it that way. However, as others have mentioned if you do this you do bypass the BMS which *could* improperly alter how the car charges the battery because what it knows through BMS and what the battery state actually are could be different. I've since kept the positive connection to the battery post but moved the negative connection to a ground stud on the chassis almost directly below the positive terminal on the battery. The positive side doesn't matter where you connect it (battery or buss bar) but using a grounding point with the negative will ensure the BMS module is in the pathway.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
Chuckster (Today), jcolman (Today)
Old Today, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 618 Likes on 419 Posts

OP - Spend some quality time with the "How To" thread. Manuals, pointers, and instructions - including this very topic. That's why it's sticky at the top of the forum.

jcolman (Today)
Old Today, 11:25 AM
Received 146 Likes on 65 Posts

Definitely wire to the bus bar, and also jump there if you have to start. The Manuel says that as well.

jcolman (Today)
Old Today, 11:37 AM
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jcolman
To those of you who use the CTEK battery charger, do you wire the quick connect directly to the battery or to the bus bar in the box next to the battery? Thanks!
Most dealers, as I understand it, recommend hooking up towards the front of the vehicle. Not sure if that is of interest to you, or if you just have a firm interest in connecting towards the back of the vehicle only.…I have a thread on here for how I did it in the front in a more permanent manner, and others do as well.

That thread was revived recently. If you are interested and didn’t see it I’d be happy to provide a link. Good luck.

Cheers

Old Today, 01:47 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
Most dealers, as I understand it, recommend hooking up towards the front of the vehicle.
The Jaguar ftting instructions I've seen direct you to the trunk, and to connect as has been shown on here - to the main busbar and an earth point.

jcolman (Today)
Old Today, 01:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Does this count as an earth point? Fitting just now.

Old Today, 03:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

For future reference for anyone who finds this thread, that earth point seems to be ok for now.

Old Today, 03:29 PM

Thank you all for the replies. It seems as if there is no "correct" way but I think I'll wire it to the buss bar and ground it to the car.

Old Today, 03:57 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Originally Posted by jcolman
Thank you all for the replies. It seems as if there is no "correct" way but I think I'll wire it to the buss bar and ground it to the car.
Er, that is the correct (Jaguar) way!

Old Today, 04:22 PM
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
The Jaguar ftting instructions I've seen direct you to the trunk, and to connect as has been shown on here - to the main busbar and an earth point.
Fair. I’m basing it on my dealer telling me that Jaguar corporates suggests that they set it up from the front in their dealerships. That said, no doubt it is mainly for vanity reasons, so they can hook up clean on the showroom floor without wires being evident, etc…

The front hookup is fully equivalent to hooking up in the back as far as I’m aware, as has been discussed on here many times, etc..

Old Today, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister
Most dealers, as I understand it, recommend hooking up towards the front of the vehicle. Not sure if that is of interest to you, or if you just have a firm interest in connecting towards the back of the vehicle only.…I have a thread on here for how I did it in the front in a more permanent manner, and others do as well.

That thread was revived recently. If you are interested and didn’t see it I’d be happy to provide a link. Good luck.

Cheers
Thanks but it's easier for me to use the trunk mount when I connect the charger.