Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious on opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Curious on opinions

Curious -- Just ordered Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires online (new) and the two fronts I received are just about 3 years old. (One more slightly more and one slightly less)

Given that we drive "sports" cars and we go through tires relatively quickly, would you guys be okay installing 3 year old tires or arrange to have the tires returned and swapped for a set?

I'm inclined to send them back, but am trying to gauge if I'm overthinking this a bit...

Old 07-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You ordered online, you got new tires delivered. Unless there is something in the advertisement that would contradict 3 year old tires, it is on you.

Next time, if having just-made tires important to you, don't go looking for a lowest price online, instead go to a reputable tire shop that moves a lot of tires and tell them you want "not older than x" tires.

Also, if these tires were warehoused, there is no issues at 3 years.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Curious -- Just ordered Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires online (new) and the two fronts I received are just about 3 years old. (One more slightly more and one slightly less)

Given that we drive "sports" cars and we go through tires relatively quickly, would you guys be okay installing 3 year old tires or arrange to have the tires returned and swapped for a set?

I'm inclined to send them back, but am trying to gauge if I'm overthinking this a bit...
You're overthinking this. Enjoy your savings.

The following users liked this post:
Jaggyx (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
You ordered online, you got new tires delivered. Unless there is something in the advertisement that would contradict 3 year old tires, it is on you.

Next time, if having just-made tires important to you, don't go looking for a lowest price online, instead go to a reputable tire shop that moves a lot of tires and tell them you want "not older than x" tires.

Also, if these tires were warehoused, there is no issues at 3 years.
Yes, I did get new tires delivered.

That being said, a few assumptions are being made above: 1) That I looked for the lowest price online, and 2) that a reputable tire shop would stock these tires.

I've done some digging on this issue, and TireRack (I'd say a good reputation) has been known to send tires a few years old as well. More so, shops don't exactly go pull Continental Extreme Contact Sports from the shelf in 265/35/ZR20, they're all placing an order from somewhere. I could make a request that they provide newer tires, but then again, I'm not taking $4,000 forged wheels to any "reputable" tire shop that's stocking these sizes. Most smaller boutique shops, the only ones I'd trust, are going to order from Tire Rack -- also negating that going to a reputable shop would have solved my issue, which seems to be a non-issue now that I've read a bit more and gathered a few opinions.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

i wouldn't accept them unless they were really cheap, you don't want any tires over 5 years old, if you can go through them in a season or two you will be fine. If you paid full price I wouldn't accept them

Old 07-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
...if you can go through them in a season or two you will be fine. If you paid full price I wouldn't accept them
+1. So don't worry. You'll go through them soon enough unless you're driving in granny mode all the time.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Holy F type
i wouldn't accept them unless they were really cheap, you don't want any tires over 5 years old, if you can go through them in a season or two you will be fine. If you paid full price I wouldn't accept them
Thanks. Unfortunately, they're weren't really cheap. It seems that there isn't much margin on tires as no one seems to really discount them.They're all selling at pretty much the same price.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. So don't worry. You'll go through them soon enough unless you're driving in granny mode all the time.
I agree -- I'll most likely burn through them within two years anyways. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Tires stored in climate controlled environments are fine if they sit for a handful of years. If they were hanging outside getting beat down by the sun daily or frozen over the winters, that would be a different story.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Tires stored in climate controlled environments are fine if they sit for a handful of years. If they were hanging outside getting beat down by the sun daily or frozen over the winters, that would be a different story.
Exactly.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Originally Posted by PolkNole
Exactly.
Well, fingers crossed they were stored in a climate controlled warehouse then.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd say no need to worry UNLESS Continental has made changes to the tire since when they were manufactured while keeping the same name (I don't think they have, but worth checking to be sure)

Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx

With tires that have been sitting any length of time, the main worry is dry rot:

https://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Dry-Rot-on-Tires

Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Is it also the concern they have gone hard? I had some on my XKR that had gone hard (rears) and had zero traction. I'd be a bit concerned about grip at the front.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Is it also the concern they have gone hard? I had some on my XKR that had gone hard (rears) and had zero traction. I'd be a bit concerned about grip at the front.
Yes.

Dry rot results in the loss of the special chemicals that keep your tire's rubber soft enough to ensure a good grip on hard pavement.

The following 2 users liked this post by 67ECoupe:
BruceTheQuail (07-21-2019), RyanMiller (04-12-2022)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Dry rot is more of a concern when the tire is under load (i.e. installed on a wheel and the wheel is on the car, and the cars weight is being supported by the tire). As long as the tires aren't exposed to sunlight, liquids and cold weather (and these are unmounted tires we are discussing here), dry rot is not an issue for many, many years. Pretty much any big business tire warehouse keeps their tires well away from the elements.