F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Steering wheel, sharing a resources…

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 06:54 PM
Received 245 Likes on 129 Posts

Cannot answer the second question but I can answer the first. There wasn’t a core charge when I ordered mine in Feb 2021. I received a flat bottom and although I had to switch over my left side buttons as the one supplied with the new wheel was not functioning. In the end that worked out and I am extremely pleased with my wheel. I also opted for the piano black trim and while I live in Texas with a lot of sun that has not been an issue with glare or reflections and I feel it complements the center console black.

Last edited by GeorgeIII; 03-27-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Cannot answer the second question but I can answer the first. There wasn’t a core charge when I ordered mine in Feb 2021. I received a flat bottom and although I had to switch over my left side buttons as the one supplied with the new wheel was not functioning. In the end that worked out and I am extremely pleased with my wheel. I also opted for the piano black trim and while I live in Texas with a lot of sun that has not been an issue with glare or reflections and I feel it complements the center console black.

So the wheel you ordered had all the hardware with the exception of the airbag correct? I have reached out to the company just waiting for a reply

Old 03-28-2021, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckTrish1
So the wheel you ordered had all the hardware with the exception of the airbag correct? I have reached out to the company just waiting for a reply
Correct. All the hardware is included and you use your air bag as well as the center trim and horn. As I mentioned I had a defective left bank switch so I used my old switch and put it in the new wheel. I also debated long and hard about the installation. I am pretty handy in the garage but in this case I got paranoid about the air bag so in the end, after checking with several shops I know, I decided I would have this done at my dealership. Cost a bit more but I figured for my piece of mind I would do it there. As it was, with the defective controls and changing them out, checking the alignment and testing it cost me $380.

The following users liked this post:
ChuckTrish1 (03-28-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Correct. All the hardware is included and you use your air bag as well as the center trim and horn. As I mentioned I had a defective left bank switch so I used my old switch and put it in the new wheel. I also debated long and hard about the installation. I am pretty handy in the garage but in this case I got paranoid about the air bag so in the end, after checking with several shops I know, I decided I would have this done at my dealership. Cost a bit more but I figured for my piece of mind I would do it there. As it was, with the defective controls and changing them out, checking the alignment and testing it cost me $380.
Any issues? Guardian notified me they had some flat bottom heated wheels in stock and I ordered one. How long did it take to get your wheel?

Just looking at the other pics has me stoked about getting mine....Perforated leather on the top and bottom, alcantara on the sides. Gloss black with Ferrari red center marker, stitching and pin strip.

Also just ordered a seat belt exchange/rewebbing for a set of Ferrari red belts as well. Thank you to Sal for your video and suggestion of Safety Restore.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=datriani;2442520]Any issues? Guardian notified me they had some flat bottom heated wheels in stock and I ordered one. How long did it take to get your wheel?

Took just under four weeks…. Remember though that this was ordered and delivered before Covid…..

Absolutely no issues whatsoever after the install and correction for the left bank switches. After all this time every time I get in the car I just sit there and look at the wheel for a moment or two and just smile. It’s gorgeous.

Happy that you were able to secure a flat bottom as I have heard that they are now difficult to get.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:21 PM

Took just under four weeks…. Remember though that this was ordered and delivered before Covid…..

Absolutely no issues whatsoever after the install and correction for the left bank switches. After all this time every time I get in the car I just sit there and look at the wheel for a moment or two and just smile. It’s gorgeous.

Happy that you were able to secure a flat bottom as I have heard that they are now difficult to get.
I made the order on the 1st of this month so It'll be a few more weeks at least. Looks like they do great work, can't wait. I jumped on it as soon as I got the notification they had them in stock. I just checked and they're out of stock now.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:51 PM

In stock might mean he has one or two…..

Your wait will be amply rewarded…..trust me…..

Old 09-18-2021, 02:12 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Was going to use Guardian to redo mine in Alcantara but with shipping charges and wait time, decided to ship mine to Dallas Custom (as they do a lot of Porsche wheels). For those who used Alcantara, did you go with black or charcoal to attempt to match JLR suede?

Old 09-18-2021, 02:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Question for owners with the Guardian steering wheels, did you retain heating function? I know all carbon fiber wheels lose it

Old 10-26-2021, 01:14 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

My steering wheel from Dallas Customs came back and I have finally installed it. Looks and feels great and now hoes with my suede seats (went with the black Alcantara).

Old 10-26-2021, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
Question for owners with the Guardian steering wheels, did you retain heating function? I know all carbon fiber wheels lose it
I did not choose to retain the heating function. First I live in El Paso, Texas where I would use it once or twice a year and more importantly, I wanted the flat bottom wheel and GuardianDesigns did not have a heated version in stock plus it would cost me about $200/300 extra for that function. I would also have to wait until they got one. As it was I ordered the non heated and received it less than three weeks after I ordered it.

Old 10-26-2021, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
I ordered a flat bottom with the heated wheel and went with alcantara on the sides and perforated leather on the top and bottom. I live in the VA where it does get cold and is a nice option to have.

I noticed that all of the wheels on the guardian site for jag wheels has alcantara on the top and bottom and leather on the sides… does that seems counterintuitive since you want to be gripping the alcantara most of the time?

Old 10-26-2021, 05:40 PM

Why I shied away from alcantara was because it does not seem to wear well. I have a friend whose car came with it stock and another that got his reworked to alantara and both look worn in spots and one looks awful due to an accident with some sort of milkshake. I suppose a lot may have to do with your hands and the amount you sweat and temps you are in. That being the case, I went with smooth leather on top, perforated on the sides with a larger grip (wing) on the sides.

jcb-memphis (04-07-2023)
Old 10-26-2021, 06:01 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I noticed that all of the wheels on the guardian site for jag wheels has alcantara on the top and bottom and leather on the sides… does that seems counterintuitive since you want to be gripping the alcantara most of the time?
I don't have a problem gripping my stock all leather wheel.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:17 PM

Why I shied away from alcantara was because it does not seem to wear well. I have a friend whose car came with it stock and another that got his reworked to alantara and both look worn in spots and one looks awful due to an accident with some sort of milkshake. I suppose a lot may have to do with your hands and the amount you sweat and temps you are in. That being the case, I went with smooth leather on top, perforated on the sides with a larger grip (wing) on the sides.
I thought alcantara was designed to be more durable and sweat resistant than leather but perhaps I'm wrong. Not an issue for me either way.

Still waiting for mine to get completed but they did contacted me about their new larger paddle shifters recently so I added that to the order.

Glad your wheel is holding up and thanks for the response.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by scm
I don't have a problem gripping my stock all leather wheel.
I'm proud of ya

Old 11-21-2021, 10:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Adding a diy 12-o'clock index stripe

I added a red index stripe to my existing flat-bottom steering wheel. After carefully marking the dead center of the wheel, I cut a pair of grooves into the leather using abrasive cord. Then masked off the wheel at the sides of the grooves and wrapped the grooves with plastic thread to mask them. Then painted the stripe with a couple of coats of Rustoleum in a color that matches my Caldera Red BDE.

An alternative would be to thin the area between the grooves and then glue a red leather stripe on and apply a couple of stitches on the bottom of the stripe.

Sparky H (11-29-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by datriani
I thought alcantara was designed to be more durable and sweat resistant than leather but perhaps I'm wrong. Not an issue for me either way.

Still waiting for mine to get completed but they did contacted me about their new larger paddle shifters recently so I added that to the order.

Glad your wheel is holding up and thanks for the response.
Fads for steering wheels seems like they come and go yet leather looks like it still remains the most popular. I remember my first wheel change was for a wooden Nardi, then I went with a combination wood/leather Momo wheel. When carbon fiber wheels came out I long debated that change but the cost steered me away.

Then alcantara came along and that became the new fad and the center band appeared. Seems like F1 uses mostly small rubber grips so perhaps that is what the next fad will be.

I am sure you will be delighted with your new wheel as I am with mine. I also went with enlarged metal paddles in black and that makes a huge difference in my shifting.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:27 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GeDaJew
I added a red index stripe to my existing flat-bottom steering wheel. After carefully marking the dead center of the wheel, I cut a pair of grooves into the leather using abrasive cord. Then masked off the wheel at the sides of the grooves and wrapped the grooves with plastic thread to mask them. Then painted the stripe with a couple of coats of Rustoleum in a color that matches my Caldera Red BDE.

An alternative would be to thin the area between the grooves and then glue a red leather stripe on and apply a couple of stitches on the bottom of the stripe.

Simple, fast and easy mod! I dig it Sir. It would match my red interior. Drag Racing NHRA for several years Crew Chief ALWAYS marked "DS" as an assist. Except Nitro Harley of course! Parts n pieces available?
Thank You

Old 11-29-2021, 11:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Simple, fast and easy mod! I dig it Sir. It would match my red interior. Drag Racing NHRA for several years Crew Chief ALWAYS marked "DS" as an assist. Except Nitro Harley of course! Parts n pieces available?
Thank You
You can paint the stripe (as I show here) or carve a shallow land and glue a red leather strip then apply a couple of stitches to the bottom of the stripe. I have some red leather, if you PM me your address, I'll send you a strip.

Whether you use paint or leather, you should score some groves in the wheel to define the edges of the stripe. I used abrasive chord. Love the stuff. I can send you a couple of feet to get the job done.

I find having a Index stripe not only looks good, but provides a means to determine your precise amount of steering input. On the track, one can lineup with suitable landmarks to tweak the entrance point into a turn.

Sparky H (11-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Custom Steering wheel, sharing a resources…