F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it customary for JLR to keep your car 6 days before diagnosing a problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 09:26 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Is it customary for JLR to keep your car 6 days before diagnosing a problem

My local JLR dealer has had my 2014 Ftype SV8 for 5 days now, and they messaged me it would be another 2-3 days before they can inspect the car. I took it in for a check engine light , showing the P0430 code. It is making me a little nervous, I don’t understand why I had to make an appointment if they were not going to do the work for a week. I know Jaguar is a low volume dealership, and I’m probably spoiled by my local BMW Dealer in comparison. I just think 7-8 days is a little extreme before they offer a diagnosis! Anyone else have similar experiences?

Last edited by Madscott; 07-30-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Madscott
My local JLM dealer has had my 2015 Ftype SV8 for 5 days now, and they messaged me it would be another 2-3 days before they can inspect the car. I took it in for a check engine light , showing the P0430 code. It is making me a little nervous, I don’t understand why I had to make an appointment if they were not going to do the work for a week. I know Jaguar is a low volume dealership, and I’m probably spoiled by my local BMW Dealer in comparison. I just think 7-8 days is a little extreme before they offer a diagnosis! Anyone else have similar experiences?
Did you ask them why the delay ?

Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by maxg
Did you ask them why the delay ?

I guess this is not the norm. Yes, the response was ‘this is Jaguar, we are very busy’ although there was no one else in the service intake bay, nor was there anyone else around the dealership actually! We walked around the lot about 10 minutes and no one asked if we needed help. Maybe we just don’t look like Jaguar /Land Rover people ?

Old 07-30-2020, 10:04 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I can understand a delay if you dropped the car in without an appointment, but they shouldn't make appointments if they're too busy to start work at the time of the appointment. Maybe a few of their jobs overran, but still .....

When mine went in for some warranty work it took a week to get it back, what with confusion over what I wanted them to fix, and the software updates they applied. On the plus(ish) side I'm now enabled for Android Auto, on the minus side I'm also enabled for Carplay.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

My local JLR dealer has had my 2015 Ftype SV8 for 5 days now, and they messaged me it would be another 2-3 days before they can inspect the car. I took it in for a check engine light , showing the P0430 code. It is making me a little nervous, I don’t understand why I had to make an appointment if they were not going to do the work for a week. I know Jaguar is a low volume dealership, and I’m probably spoiled by my local BMW Dealer in comparison. I just think 7-8 days is a little extreme before they offer a diagnosis! Anyone else have similar experiences?
Did they provide a loaner? If not, next time ask for one and maybe that will light a fire under them, although I'm not sure inasmuch as mine has been at the dealer since Friday last for a couple what I would think are minor warranty issues. And I do have a loaner, a 2020 E-Pace with less than 500 miles on it.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

When I used to take my car to Jaguar Austin (before Park Place opened a dealership in Austin) it would be the "norm" my car would sit idle in the car park for days until they got round to it. I think it had to do with getting a loaner lined up and hoping that they had techs who could work on it around the same time. Their argument was "you got a loaner so why the hurry ?". If I'd wanted to drive around for a fortnight in a Disco Sport, I'd have bought one.

Now Park Place what a breath of fresh air - in and out same day unless parts are needed. Talk to Joe or Tony in the service department if you are in the North Austin area and no longer want to have to put up with the lackadasical antics of the previous only game in town in Austin.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Our local Parsippany, NJ dealer wouldn't even GIVE me a recall appt. until they verified that they would have a loaner "if" I needed it. Yes, they started working on the car within 10 minutes of me releasing it to them. (Pre-pandemic)

Old 07-30-2020, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Sounds like a bad business model. My dealer will make an appointment for when they actually have time (sometimes that's a couple of weeks out). I've never had it in for longer than a day.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:34 PM
scm
Veteran Member

I use an independent who starts work on the car when I bring it in (by appointment). I usually wait while he works (I'm self-unemployed), as I like watching competent people doing the job right.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:48 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

My last two visits were with appointments and both took 5 days (alignment and oil change on one visit and condensation in third brake light) - apparently they over book or under-perform - or both. They are miserable in every sense. 5 days to replace a third brake light due to condensation and when i got home I realized the new light either wasn't connected or didn't work. Evidently when you replace a light bulb - check to make sure it works is not part of the checklist. I'm surprised by nothing with them and never in a good way. The first time they charged me for "excess mileage" on the loaner - 5 days and 32 miles is excess - the dealer is 11 miles from my house. They should be embarrassed and I'm with you, I must not seem to be a "land rover - jag" customer by appearance which is why I always get looked at like I'm a lot porter.I enjoy watching and listening to the presumptuous sales people. You would think they all own the dealership and they are too good to stop their personal conversation and say "hi", or "can I help you" .

Old 07-30-2020, 02:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess this is not the norm. Yes, the response was ‘this is Jaguar, we are very busy’ although there was no one else in the service intake bay, nor was there anyone else around the dealership actually! We walked around the lot about 10 minutes and no one asked if we needed help. Maybe we just don’t look like Jaguar /Land Rover people ?
I had a similar experience with Jag Orlando (though they only took a couple days to start looking at it) - seemed empty until I walked out back to pick up the courtesy car. Their whole back lot was filled to bursting with cars waiting for service. I think they just keep them all out of sight and stagger the appointments to make the service feel more bespoke. The only cars that got to sleep under cover while waiting for service were a Ferrari 488, an Aston Martin Superleggera, and a Lotus Evora GT. Swing and a miss in my experience also, but it's an interesting concept.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

My local JLR dealer has had my 2015 Ftype SV8 for 5 days now, and they messaged me it would be another 2-3 days before they can inspect the car. I took it in for a check engine light , showing the P0430 code. It is making me a little nervous, I don’t understand why I had to make an appointment if they were not going to do the work for a week. I know Jaguar is a low volume dealership, and I’m probably spoiled by my local BMW Dealer in comparison. I just think 7-8 days is a little extreme before they offer a diagnosis! Anyone else have similar experiences?
Saw that you are from Atlanta, did you drop the car off at the JLR dealer in Buckhead? If so, their service is pretty terrible and they don't provide loaners for most jobs. I go out of my way to avoid them and use JLR North Atlanta.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:25 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

I’ve had good experiences with two JLR dealers. The first was where I purchased my car, my16 s coupe, jaguar of Glen Cove NY, car required a pinion seal fix. Brought the car in on a Monday, given a 2020 Land Rover, and the car was fixed by Wednesday, pick up on Thursday. I picked it up on Friday, they called early afternoon and it’s a four hour round trip during rush hour.
The other is Paramus JLR. Appointment for annual maintenance , during COVID, and I was in and out in 4 hours, with a car wash. Had a perceived issue, Called Paramus, told to bring in next day during COVID. In and out in four hours with a car wash. My service advisor is AJ, who is terrific, and the technician is Connor, who is available for a call if you have any questions after you’ve left. I know because I called AJ and requested a quick question with Connor and I was connected. Doesn’t get better than that. Cannot predict the future but so far so good. I would recommend Paramus Jaguar to anyone who has an F type looking for a good dealer, ask for AJ.
FRANK, Hudson Valley NY
MY 16 S coupe, storm grey with brogue interior ivory stitching performance seats

Old 07-30-2020, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The quality of Jag service is definitely inconsistent across the dealerships. Jag of West Columbia (MD) and Scarborough Jag (ME) seem to shine. Others, based on this thread, suck outright. The bulk of them will range from one extreme to the other.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Saw that you are from Atlanta, did you drop the car off at the JLR dealer in Buckhead? If so, their service is pretty terrible and they don't provide loaners for most jobs. I go out of my way to avoid them and use JLR North Atlanta.
Jaguar South Atlanta in Union City. I thought about North Atlanta or Hennessy, but the distance made me choose South Atlanta. Now there are regrets! I think I learned my lesson and will get a loaner next time, maybe that will add a little motivation. I normally use an Indy Mechanic for most things, Fayette import. They are really good, But they told me it was a warranty item , the Cat was bad and the dealer would replace the Cat under warranty. So this is my first time at the dealership. I bought the car at Audi Gwinnett .

Last edited by Madscott; 07-30-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:39 AM
scm
Veteran Member

I normally use an Indy Mechanic for most things, Fayette import. They are really good, But they told me it was a warranty item , the Cat was bad and the dealer would replace the Cat under warranty.
Ah, the difference between a good indy and a dealer - the indy will have your best interests at heart, usually at the expense of losing income. But he's there when you really need him!

Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,602 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Ah, the difference between a good indy and a dealer - the indy will have your best interests at heart, usually at the expense of losing income. But he's there when you really need him!
Few would or could disagree with you scm but our esteemed colleague Unhingd has it right; some dealerships (one might even say just a few) are head and shoulders above the rest. In all my years of car ownership—and a trusted, reliable and good mechanic, whether independent or at a dealership, is worth their weight in gold—I’ve never had as close and great a relationship with a dealer as I have had, for almost 6 years, as I have at Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover in Maine. (And, no, I am not nor ever have been a “paid” spokesperson; much as I like the idea.)

And those who have attended any of my past 5 events will tell you the same thing (several having used the services of Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover for one reason or another.). Including the one and only Unhingd.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (08-04-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My local JLR dealer has had my 2014 Ftype SV8 for 5 days now, and they messaged me it would be another 2-3 days before they can inspect the car. I took it in for a check engine light , showing the P0430 code. It is making me a little nervous, I don’t understand why I had to make an appointment if they were not going to do the work for a week. I know Jaguar is a low volume dealership, and I’m probably spoiled by my local BMW Dealer in comparison. I just think 7-8 days is a little extreme before they offer a diagnosis! Anyone else have similar experiences?
could be worse, mine has been at the dealer since July 21st and there's still no ETR, brought it in for an oil change and ambient lighting issue along with a couple of minor warranty issues. Tech ended finding an oil leak on the upper timing chain cover and some coolant leak aslo. Last thing I heard from my service advisor this morning and my was with engineering dept at JLR and couldnt tell me when the car will be ready.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not surprised, just got mine back today for some dealer **** up on improperly putting the front end back after an intake/supercharger whatever job they did. Also, the second time having the car going into the shop for AC not blowing cold and it is still broken. The first AC job at Greenville was in June, didn't work, sent the car to ATL in early July, and I just got it back.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:47 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Change dealer and if there’s nothing else close by then call Jaguar USA and make a complaint. Jaguar and Land Rover have been working very hard on providing the customer with the best service because they know they have inconsistent quality with a lot of their products. My dealer is excellent with service.

Quick Reply: Is it customary for JLR to keep your car 6 days before diagnosing a problem