Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Customer Service

In the UK, if your Jaguar has a manufacturing fault (one of several documented on this Fotum for example), Jaguar (UK) will pay for the workshop time of the supplying (or other) franchised dealership to rectify it.

However, they will not pay for the costs incurred in collecting/returning the car for said rectification. The dealership are understandably reluctant to collect and deliver the car as a result, and get upset when owners point out that the tank has been emptied as a result of the distance travelled, never mind the time spent, as they are not keen to do it themselves.

For reference, petrol in the UK currently costs about £1.20/Imperial Gallon.

My car has required 4 return trips for rectification, totalling ~500 miles at worse than 30 miles to the gallon.

My time is charged at ~£1,000/day. I'm pretty certain this is more than any staff member at my supplying dealership. I've spent ~7 hours driving back and forth as the dealership are - as previously noted - not keen to collect/return the car.

I would be interested to hear of everyone else's experiences in markets other than the UK, as well as other UK owners.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm buying my gas in the UK.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:29 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
In the UK, if your Jaguar has a manufacturing fault (one of several documented on this Fotum for example), Jaguar (UK) will pay for the workshop time of the supplying (or other) franchised dealership to rectify it.

However, they will not pay for the costs incurred in collecting/returning the car for said rectification. The dealership are understandably reluctant to collect and deliver the car as a result, and get upset when owners point out that the tank has been emptied as a result of the distance travelled, never mind the time spent, as they are not keen to do it themselves.

For reference, petrol in the UK currently costs about £1.20/Imperial Gallon.

My car has required 4 return trips for rectification, totalling ~500 miles at worse than 30 miles to the gallon.

My time is charged at ~£1,000/day. I'm pretty certain this is more than any staff member at my supplying dealership. I've spent ~7 hours driving back and forth as the dealership are - as previously noted - not keen to collect/return the car.

I would be interested to hear of everyone else's experiences in markets other than the UK, as well as other UK owners.
That must be the price per litre, correct?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I do deal with an independent shop for my older cars which will pick the car up and deliver to my home, but I do have a long-term relationship with them.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

This is the cost of doing business. Its not the dealership or the OEMs fault you live so far away or that you make so much money that this is evidently a problem. This is the risk you take when you buy a car from a generally unreliable brand; if its that big of a deal, sell the car and buy something more reliable.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

My dealer is JLR Harrisburg in PA. They bring me a free and nice loaner at my house when they pick up my car for service. You pay for gas for both the loaner (you fill up to the level it was at when receiving it - always full in my case) and also for own car, so you get back your car with a less gas because they drove it back and forth to dealership. When the car is done they bring it back to my house and swap it for the loaner. I always tip $20 or more to the valet driver, but I don't think tipping is "required" for the service. The arrangement also applies to factory warranty repairs, where the car comes back with a $0 invoice. I love the service and find it entirely fair that you pick up the tab for all gas as part of this excellent service.

Last edited by jm717; 11-01-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Whoops - yes. That should read £1.20/litre. So about £5.45/Imperial Gallon, or £4.54/US Gallon.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, and to be clear: I'm happy to drive the car there and back for servicing, and pay for the fuel in both my car, and the loan car.

What irritates me is that I'm out of pocket by even a small amount to fix manufacturing faults.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

My dealer was just acquired by a "mega dealer" in Morris County, NJ. They used to charge, get this.....$5.00 for the rental. As soon as the 2nd dealer took over, they eliminated this right away. The loaner cars that they give are the worst in the world, and old, out of date, and clearly detract from the brand image of JLR. The last time, I said to the lady at the dealership.....you can't give me that same car again....it is disgusting! She then changed me to another old S, which had around 32K on it, and was almost but not quite as bad. Positive is at least they now give you a car, service is excellent, and the trivial $5.00 goes away. It was the principle on the latter point that bothered me so much, but the new owners are smart and got it the same as me

We pay for the full tank, expected
Nothing else, and again the service is great.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

My dealer is The Great Britains in Willow Grove, PA. I dropped my FT off last week as my rear camera had sporadic outages. They gave me a Land Rover Discovery with 42 miles on it as a no charge loaner for the 2 days they had it. They offered to pick up my car and deliver it but I prefer to limit others driving it. This is similar to my BMW experience over the years.