F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dallas custom steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 11:04 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Dallas custom steering wheel

Hi fellow members, I知 about to pull the trigger oh a new steering wheel from Dallas custom steering wheel company. They will redo my wheel with a 7-10 day turnaround. Has anyone used them or heard anything them that is concerning. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
cheers Frank k

Old 04-10-2023, 06:40 PM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

I have not personally used them, but do have a custom steering wheel from Guardian Designs. I have seen a few wheels from the Dallas CSW and felt as though the leather was over stretched and had too many wrinkles, compared to the product that GD produced. I decided to move forward with GD and so glad I did. 3 years later, wheel still looks like new, turn around was a little longer, but worth the wait.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:51 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
I have not personally used them, but do have a custom steering wheel from Guardian Designs. I have seen a few wheels from the Dallas CSW and felt as though the leather was over stretched and had too many wrinkles, compared to the product that GD produced. I decided to move forward with GD and so glad I did. 3 years later, wheel still looks like new, turn around was a little longer, but worth the wait.
I had one of the Dallas wheels in a 996TT for track use. It was well done. The stitching held up well on track and street for 4 years before the car was sold. The guardian units look just a little bit nicer to me and they are more Jaguar focused with the plastic painting and shift lever options...so if I do a wheel again I probably will go G. Just one data point.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-11-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:06 AM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I had Dallas redo my steering wheel in Alcantara after unsuccessfully attempting to remove the stickiness from the stock leather wheel by the previous owner. I had selected Dallas as they were known by the Porsche community. while it's much better, I would say it's not up to OEM quality unfortunately as I can feel and see some looseness on some of the seams. this may be due to change from leather to Alcantara but I would have thought Dallas would have handled that correctly. I am happy with the change though (as I'm being picky now) but would recommend Guardian instead as they seem to have the best quality, especially for the F-Type but that's just from reading reviews.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
Hi fellow members, I知 about to pull the trigger oh a new steering wheel from Dallas custom steering wheel company. They will redo my wheel with a 7-10 day turnaround. Has anyone used them or heard anything them that is concerning. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
cheers Frank k
I had them create a custom steering wheel on my Porsche 911 Turbo, and I thought they did a great job. Wheel was exactly what I asked them for IMO. I made it thicker, different leather, and added some humps...This is all relative to what your expectations are, of course. I was/am very happy with what I got...I was not wanting fancy...Just very thick, and good leather I posted a couple of pics for you...Good luck.

DC

Old 04-16-2023, 07:39 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for your comments and photos, my wheel is at DSWC and I値l post photos when I receive it, both in the box and installed in my car. Should be in about 10 days. Cheers Frank

The following 2 users liked this post by frank barone:
DJS (04-16-2023), Phantomf4collector (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 01:15 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

I am with the Rock...I put leather where my hands would go...and to this day have always felt the alcantara wheels, while they look great and feel great, get so gross so fast. All you have to do if forget you put suntan lotion on 30 minutes before getting in and the wheel is just yucked up. There are youtube videos where people show you how they clean their steering wheel after each drive. That to me is just way over the top...if track only, with proper fire gloves, sure. But for use with just your skin...real leather is so much simpler and less gross. I of course would love to have an alcantara wheel....if one could be made that did not get gross....perhaps a new fabric..anyway, both of these wheel options are amazing. Good luck to the OP.

(PS: in the photo I showed there was alcantara on the top and bottome of that wheel...I was always a little worried I'd mess that wheel up...if doing it again, it would be all leather)