F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damage and Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

While I am sorry about your misfortune, I am glad you're OK; first and foremost! Putting things in perspective...it could have been worse. Much worse.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
My automotive experience is mechanical, not bodywork, but I've seen lots of bodywork over the years. I've also seen many shops over the years, and my visits so far left me with a positive impression.

I think this is generating a lot of attention here because it is significant damage, and we all worry about the consequences of that, given that all-aluminum cars are rare today. I'm willing to let the experts give it a go and see how they do. I don't appreciate it when dilettantes overrule my expert opinions, so am giving them this courtesy.

I haven't signed anything yet, and will be following the work as it progresses. I'll keep the group here posted.
Sounds good. While I'm not a bodyman, I was the autobody "expert" during my years selling automotive and industrial supplies and know a bit about it.....plus my hobby of car collecting and restoration helps. A good shop with skilled tradespersons using quality products alleviates much in the way of concerns. I wouldn't LIKE having a panel splice and certainly it would be a better repair if the whole thing was replaced but hopefully it looks good and lasts as long as you have the car.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 06-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Indeed. I got a concussion just from the headrest. I'm glad I got the Performance seats now, because the quality and fit served me well. I've had much worse, so I try to be philosophical about it.
On the plus side, no whiplash. But Ouch!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I hope this is at Jag approved shop, it will more expensive since Jag wants all parts replaced not fixed. If Jag shop it lets the dealer sell car as CPO. I think all of this Carfax is over blown, this is not a major accident as far as insurance is concerned. Unless you hire an attorney this car will be repaired, and it has to be to your satisfaction. I had repair done at approved shop and the look is perfect, they had to fight with insurance to get repair to Jag standards.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

They have decided the only way to do it properly is to replace the entire rear quarter, which goes all the way to A-pillar and around the door. That means removing the panoramic roof. They are still waiting for parts. From their explanation, the description and drawing do not always match the reality of what arrives. There may still be some adjustments.

I did get this picture:

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
Mbourne (07-03-2016), SinF (07-12-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

holy crap !!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Steve I think you are correct in having confidence in a Jaguar approved shop. After all there are going to be many cars that will be damaged in collisions and the factory and dealers have to have a good procedure to repair the cars properly. Because of the high value of the car, expensive repairs are warranted. Like many medical procedures they are unpleasant to contemplate and to witness. Still my best wishes for a full recovery go out to you. The important thing is that you were not seriously injured. Take care of yourself and allow yourself the time to heal.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Before posting that picture you should have written:

WARNING: GRAPHIC SUBJECT CONTENT. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Good luck.

Mbourne (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I wish they would just total it for you but at the end of the day you'll be made whole I imagine.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

As I said before, replacing the entire panel is the way to fix it right; I'd be happier now if I was you.

Cheers,
Dave

SinF (07-12-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Jag approved shop only way to go. If you ever trade Jag dealer can offer as CPO! Most approved are approved by multi high end manufactures. Jag tells them to replace not repair!

Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Wow . . . I don't think many people would be very happy to hear that a JLR dealer could CPO a heavily damaged car even if it was repaired at a JLR-approved collision repair shop.

Are you sure about that? A nose replacement or repaint is one thing, but it would shock me if they qualify cars w/ major damage.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

I expect the repairs to be done to the level that the car could be CPO. It's a new car and if it cannot be restored to its previous condition it should be replaced. I am keeping faith in the shop based on my impressions, their reputation, and their JLR certification.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Steve,

I am confident that it's possible to repair it to good as new condition. If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the faith and be confident that it could be fixed properly.

I wasn't voicing doubts about that part, but just surprised that JLR would CPO such a car. Wouldn't they have to disclose the damage?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what needs to be disclosed. Engine replacement? Transmission? Clutch? (not that the last one would ever happen)

I also don't know what will be reported to any agency like CarFax. If a car is declared a total loss or if it is subject to buyback through Lemon Laws, it would show on a VIN check. Repairs done in such a way that the car is restored to factory specifications ... shouldn't?

Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

From my experience it ends up in CARFAX if the accident is reported to law enforcement and/or an insurance company. Forevermore, you will need to explain the damage and repair when selling or trading the vehicle.

Larry

Old 07-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I expect the repairs to be done to the level that the car could be CPO. It's a new car and if it cannot be restored to its previous condition it should be replaced. I am keeping faith in the shop based on my impressions, their reputation, and their JLR certification.
When it's done, take a paint thickness meter to the parts of the car that haven't been repaired and the parts that have. Likely the original parts will have a uniform thickness while the repaired area will not (robots vs. humans). Any decent used car appraiser will do that unless he spots the repair anyway.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm really glad you are both okay in the head, and philosophical about it as well! =)

Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

If you want to be philosophical about this consider it this way. If your house is damaged due to fire or a tree falling on it, an act of nature, or through extensive termite damage, you expect that it can be repaired to like new condition. Now in this situation the house is usually repaired with new materials and construction which is usually an upgrade to the condition that it was in. My parent's home was damaged by fire when I was growing up and we were happy to have it rebuilt. I have a property that had several walls removed due to severe dry rot. It was repaired better than new. Steve's car being new, didn't need any restoration so there isn't any upside. While this is an expensive and extensive repair the damage didn't appear to effect the structural integrity of the vehicle. Not to minimize Steve's loss, but any vehicle that sustained that type of damage could still be operated after the rear lights were replaced. Of course I wouldn't expect this car to remain unrepaired. What is the situation with a diminished value claim?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I recently took factory tour and was thinking about this thread...

Turns out, a lot of drainage tubing and also nearly all noise cancellation plastic parts that go into panels are attached by heat-expanding epoxy. Also, nearly all panel construction is riveted and epoxied together. They do very little welding during construction.

At the front of the car, the nose section of the frame is designed to unbolt for ease of replacement. Didn't get a chance to take a closer look at the tail. The engineer said that F-type designed that if front collision is up to 15mph, you can just unbolt and replace parts without doing any welds.