F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged Bumper Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019 | 05:38 PM
|
Default Bumper Paint potentially damaged by Glue - Need HELP! Pics included

So, the bumper on my car is damaged by some glue. The model S sticker was peeling off and my dad thought it was be good idea to use some glue to put it back on. He used a liquid glue that lead to dripping on the bumper and boooooom life is ruined etc etc.
Now that i've calmed down i'd like to to fix this. I tried the risky nail polish removing trick and it it did nothing. I tried clay bar and nothing.. Next step is cut and compound?

What are options to fix this?
Will Cut and compound fix this if so what do you recommend ?

Last edited by Lavitz; 07-16-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: inaccurate title
Old 07-16-2019 | 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

It's definitely fixable, but you have to be careful. Unfortunately, you're going to have to be quite aggressive the compound. Do you have a dual action polisher? Or are you looking for a professional detailer to fix this?

Old 07-16-2019 | 06:54 PM
|

I am going to have to do this on my own, I have a test car i can practice with. So I just need a recommendation on what pad and and polish i need to buy.

Old 07-16-2019 | 07:33 PM

Before you do that, what kind of glue, and what kind of nail polish remover?

If it's cyanoacrylate, then nail polish remover would work as a solvent... IF that nail polish remover is or has acetone in it. Not all nail polish remover contains acetone. I bought 100% acetone for this purpose, which is slightly more expensive and a different product than nail polish remover.

Old 07-16-2019 | 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
Before you do that, what kind of glue, and what kind of nail polish remover?

If it's cyanoacrylate, then nail polish remover would work as a solvent... IF that nail polish remover is or has acetone in it. Not all nail polish remover contains acetone. I bought 100% acetone for this purpose, which is slightly more expensive and a different product than nail polish remover.
Good point -- you might want to try some sort of solvent. I don't have any experience with solvents so cannot paint work, but I'm sure this is something that can be found out with a simple google search.

If the solvent route does not work, I would try going at it with Meguiars M105 and an Lake Country Yellow or Orange pad. Are you an Amazon prime member, by chance?

Old 07-16-2019 | 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

I have successfully used pure acetone to remove really stubborn resin deposits and especially "paint transfer from a scrape" marks on car paintwork.
It really is brilliant for this type of thing, just a little on a rag and a quick wipe and the deposit is gone.
No damage to the car's clear coat either.
But you need to be very careful using pure acetone, it is a powerful solvent and will attack plastics, do not get it anywhere near any plastic, vinyl or rubber parts of the car!

Old 07-17-2019 | 06:21 PM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have successfully used pure acetone to remove really stubborn resin deposits and especially "paint transfer from a scrape" marks on car paintwork.
It really is brilliant for this type of thing, just a little on a rag and a quick wipe and the deposit is gone.
No damage to the car's clear coat either.
But you need to be very careful using pure acetone, it is a powerful solvent and will attack plastics, do not get it anywhere near any plastic, vinyl or rubber parts of the car!
Oh wow, so the nail polisher did not have acetone. Should i give that a go first before compounding?

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/equate-.../6000196731130 going to buy this and give it a go

Last edited by Lavitz; 07-17-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2019 | 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, knowing the type of glue would be helpful. Knowing the type of glue would reveal the solvent used in the glue.

I've used pure acetone on modern auto paint with no ill effects. I worked quickly and gently. A detailer told me to do this instead of orange oil based products because he said they can remove clear coat, but others here have said the opposite. I think as long as exposure is limited either would work, but can only speak for the acetone. Hopefully the solvent in the glue did not damage the clear coat and is just on top. I've used WD-40 to remove sticky stuff before, so that might be worth a try as well.