F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The danger of a low car -_-

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The danger of a low car -_-

Guy hit my 2 month old F-Type when I'm stopped -_-, said he didn't see my car. I'm hoping that damage is limited to the bumper being displaced. There is a dent on the driver's side bumper as well. The initial appraisal is $2k minimum. Too bad I should probably wait for insurance to settle this matter - I'm quite wanting to just go and get it fixed as it simply feels wrong driving around with the damage on the car.

It's quite silly that he turned into me after finally seeing me. Of all the reactions to take on a street with no other traffic, that has got to be the worst. Luckily we have a witness, among other things, so I should be in the clear.

Attached Thumbnails The danger of a low car -_--myw84pa.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Ouch!

Welcome to the forum ace, nice to have you with us but it's a shame what happened to your car...

Damage doesn't really look all that bad in the picture, but i'd be surprised if it wasn't more like $4K to repair, you never know what's happened underneath the skin.

Best to let the insurance sort it out.

If you've got a moment stop by our new members area too ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
Harley N (08-02-2021)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:27 PM

Yep, I was a bit concerned there might be damage under the hood, so probably the cost will go up. Their insurance had me go to a Cadillac place that they approve of. Curiously the guy doing the inspecting said "at least $2k probably" because he hadn't really inspected any Jaguars before but the bumper looked expensive to him.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Ughh.. bad luck, sorry that this happened.. at least by the look of the damage no one is hurt.
Lawrence

Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 PM

The car is just built well! My friend got a concussion from it, or so they said at UCLA hospitals, and we're just keeping an eye on how that goes. It was quite unexpected that the attending doctor had wanted to take a CT scan.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front end Sway

Sorry Ace but it appears your bumper is shifted from left to right. That is attached to frame rails.Your bumper didn't go over alone.
Good news is if decent insurance is involved should only take a couple days sorting that part out.
First priority is to find a good (great ) shop. Doesn't have to be a dealer.( My dealer couldn't schedule my first service for a week so I can't imagine the lead time for bodywork ).Insurance probably will steer you to someone. They may be great or terrible, YOU need to do your research.
Good Luck.
Could have been a lot worse.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Where did you get hit?

I'd be shocked if your frame-rails were bent. The poly bumper would crack first unlike old school steel bumpers.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Cadillac dealer? And you took it???

My insurance company once asked me to take my 911 to the local Kia shop as that was the 'approved' shop.

Luckily in NJ you are free to take it wherever you like.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Call your Jag dealer in LA (Homberg as I recall or call Newport Jag) and ask where to take it. OR call an exotic car dealership close to you and ask their advice. I would not take it to a run of the mill body shop. They are fine for 99% of the cars out there but almost nobody has experience with a 2014 F type.

JMO

Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,074 Likes on 8,477 Posts

In Calif, you are free to chose any body shop you want. Insurance cannot dictate where you take it.
As stated, call Jag dealers and find out where they take their cars for repairs.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
In Calif, you are free to chose any body shop you want. Insurance cannot dictate where you take it.
As stated, call Jag dealers and find out where they take their cars for repairs.
Same here in NY. You can take your car to the shop of your choice.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 PM

He hit me right on the side of the bumper in front of the wheel, where the bumper begins to curve. Driver's side. He probably would've not hit me had his response to finally seeing me not been to turn into my car, to give you an idea of the angle he hit at. The bumper is not cracked - there are what appears to be paint chips, and a small dent, but other than that it just looks shifted and protruding out a bit.

If the frame rails are also involved what range of damage am I looking at? I'm guessing that the more money is involved the slower his insurance is going to take in an attempt to not take liability. I've never been hit by anyone before so I have no idea how this process goes.

I will call the Galpin Jaguar (where I got my car), to see if they can do or recommend me an appraisal. As far as good bodyshops goes, I've been told to just get it done through Galpin.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by aceHaneul
He hit me right on the side of the bumper in front of the wheel, where the bumper begins to curve. Driver's side. He probably would've not hit me had his response to finally seeing me not been to turn into my car, to give you an idea of the angle he hit at. The bumper is not cracked - there are what appears to be paint chips, and a small dent, but other than that it just looks shifted and protruding out a bit.

If the frame rails are also involved what range of damage am I looking at? I'm guessing that the more money is involved the slower his insurance is going to take in an attempt to not take liability. I've never been hit by anyone before so I have no idea how this process goes.

I will call the Galpin Jaguar (where I got my car), to see if they can do or recommend me an appraisal. As far as good bodyshops goes, I've been told to just get it done through Galpin.
Judging by the photo above and your description of where the vehicle hit you, the frame rails aren't bent. I'd be surprised if anything more than the front bumper and its attachment methods needed to be replaced. Likely it just broke/bent all the clips or attachment points. Some paint and replacement parts is all

Old 06-22-2014, 05:07 PM

I see. Well, hopefully frame rails aren't involved. I got the bodyshop that Galpin does their stuff at, so I'll be getting it checked out there or at Galpin's service department probably on Monday to get a better idea of the damage. I believe my insurance company is also sending over someone who specializes in higher end cars as well to do an appraisal. The thing is that I got the car on a 2 year lease, so I am quite strict about getting it completely back to its original condition. Whether that might involve a bumper replacement (hopefully not) or not is another thing that would be important.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry to hear, but glad y'all are OK and on the mend.

You really don't know what is damaged (as frustrating as that is) until the shop is able to make its assessment. But, with the aluminum construction and the technical design that went into producing the exceptional rigidity of the F-Type, not sure that every high-end shop has the expertise to diagnose and repair aluminum "properly" (key word).

So, good call on staying very close to Jaguar on this one. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

It will be interesting to se how the one piece body structure affects the ability to repair an F-type. A mid-body accident could be more difficult to repair.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
It will be interesting to se how the one piece body structure affects the ability to repair an F-type. A mid-body accident could be more difficult to repair.
Yup. Aluminum is extremely difficult to work with. The chassis is riveted and glued rather than welded.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Yup. Aluminum is extremely difficult to work with. The chassis is riveted and glued rather than welded.
That must be some glue!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 PM

That must be some glue!
But is it better than the glue for the trunk?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

That must be some glue!
Yeah apparently about 100+ miles of it for each F Type!

Quick Reply: The danger of a low car -_-